Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton Catfish
I remember reading an old post saying there used to be some big cats in Newton. Does anybody know if any of them survived the drought a few years back? It would be nice to be able to toss out some cat bait while I fish for the other species.
[signature]
I used to catch them all the time before the dry up 5 1/2 years ago. I did see a dead 3llber on the bank last Fall but have yet to catch any.
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
Newton used to be one of my favorite "cat holes". Recent attempts have gone unsuccessful for me and also left me wondering if any survived. Dang catfish will live 2 days in a wet bucket, you would think they would survive a little drought.
[signature]
why don't they re-stock it? Do they even stock catfish in UT?
[signature]
Hey guys I used to catch really nice cats out of there, probabaly my biggest, used to see them up under the rocks and even chasing small fish. I haven't caught one or I guess even tried for a few years.
[signature]
I saw a 12 incher floating last year on the lake. I have fished it numerous times as well and no kitty. I still think their are a few in there but stocking it might be a good idea!
[signature]
They really should stock some, just to jump start the process. Thay stock plenty into the community ponds, a load or two in Newton would be good for it.
[signature]
Ya know them kitty kats just might help out with all that MUCK you see come end of Julyish! September was pretty darn yicky last year![:/]
Smiles Always!
Ma
[signature]
No kidding about the nasty water conditions. My float tube has never been the same. It smelled so rancid in there, especially down by the outlet where all the scum collected.

That's too bad about the catfish. I guess Cutler is really close by too, but I get bored fishing just for cats, I like to chuck lures for other species while I wait. I've caught a few bass at Cutler, but certainly not as many as at Newton. Oh well, I guess I'll have to choose one or the other.
[signature]
[font "Verdana"][#ff0000]Same story here. We have only caught them at night. Before the low water year(s) I would take the kids and sleep over on the bank soaking a nightcrawler. You would have to use 12-14 pound line and tie your rod to a tree or your leg or truck or something or it would not be there in the morning. One of my boys put a big one on a metal stringer and tied it to a tree only to find the thing mangled up like a bread wrapper twisty in a lawnmower and no fish in the morning. We did try to cook one of those big monsters - word of warning - I like catfish but this one was the nastiest vilest thing I have ever tasted. I'd rather eat medical waste. We put them all back after that. Crazy fun for kids camping, getting woke up 3-4 times over the night to your pole bells ringing or the willow you tied it to thrashing wildly to wrestle one in. We went once last summer and slept soundly with just visions of big catfish in our dreams. [/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
That sounds like great fun, too bad it sounds like a thing of the past. Have you eaten catfish out of The Bear or Cutler? If so, were they better eating. I'm pretty new to Cache, and I didn't keep any last year, but some deep fried catfish is sounding pretty good.
[signature]
If you only try to eat the ones that are under 20 inches, they will taste fine. Once they start to get over 24 inches long they taste like the mud that they live in, but the littleones are fine to eat. Just thought I would throw my opinion out.
[signature]
I agree 3-5llbers are the best tasting! Also if you cast on the edge of the channel and catch the ones hanging out by the current...they are better tasting. I soak the fillets for 24 hours in Buttermilk...salt water works also! Make sure to trim the fat off too it's yellowish in color. [Smile] Happy eating!
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
I agree,let them soak in Saltwater for 24hrs and you get rid of the mud taste.I have never eaten a bad kitty before!!!!
[signature]
I agree about keeping smaller fish. I think that holds true with trout as well. Plus, I just don't feel good about keeping the larger fish. A picture or two, and off they go back to the water.
[signature]
MA you're gonna give out all your secrets here! haha
[signature]
YOUR LIPS ARE LOOSER! lol![cool]
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
Moving live fish is against the law and keeping them in a pool is as well....
[signature]
[font "Verdana"][#ff0000]I haven't fished Cutler or the Bear, don't know why. I have always wanted to try the old bridge south of Benson marina, just haven't gotten around to it yet. When we are after cats for the frying pan we head to Willard - they're good eats![/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
We used to fish off the bensen bridge all night. We would sit in lawn chairs right on the road, with a lantern sitting on the railing, casting out to the north of the bridge. We used to do pretty good some nights, than we figured out there were better places without the chance of being nailed by a car. My brother caught a 19lber one night, and we caught a couple 14 lbers at a spot we fished north of bensen, but nothing big off the bridge. Mostly mudcats and little channels.
[signature]