Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelhead
Just some info for all, some steelhead are just starting to show up at some of the trib mouths around Erie.....Walnut creek, Trout run, even Elk creek. This is by no means a "run" but is a great sign of what's to come, some rain and cooler nights should start them coming in for sure. Hope you all get a chance to experience the great fishery that Erie has to offer, especially when it comes to the steelhead.<br><br>Moderator
Drove up to Erie on 9-1 and the creeks where very muddy. It looked like the mud line was about 100 yds out into the lake. There where people at Walnut, about 25 in a half mile stretch of the creek. I saw nobody catch anything. Talked to some people that where there all morning and did not see any caught. Checked out all of the west side creeks and the bigger ones where muddy and the smaller ones had very little water in them. It looks like it will take more rain and cooler nites to bring in a good run of fish. I will keep giving reports on the fishing up in Erie, so check back often. I will try to get the reports in on Sunday mornings till the end of the season.<br><br>Bob<br><br>www.steelheadguides.net <br><br>Bob
Just another update...stream temps are cooling down fast but the whole area needs rain very badly. At this writing, there are alot of fish in lower Elk and Walnut. They are also staging off all the stream mouths. The next big rain should bring a ton of fish in. Do your raindance!!<br><br>Moderator
THERE BAAAAAACK, if you enjoy steelhead fishing in any of the Erie tribs, the time is now to grab your gear and go, they are starting their fall show......it will only get better from here on in too, every rain will bring a fresh run of fish, now is the time to "get out there"!!! If you need specific info, please feel free to ask and e-mail me your questions. Tight lines and screaming drags to you !!!!<br><br>Moderator
Sorry about the delay in reports. I was up there on Oct. 13 and the fish were in all the creeks. They are still low and clear, but you can catch them if you try hard. I will be heading up again today Oct. 15 and fish for them on Tue. the 16.<br><br>Bob
Just an update for all.....There are plenty of steelhead & salmon to be had in all the streams now. In the smaller tribs you still have to concentrate your efforts nearer to the mouths as the water levels are still low. On the larger streams such as Elk and Walnut, you are able to spread out a little more because the fish have had some room to run. On Elk, try the Legion park area or the Conrail tubes to avoid the crowds at the mouth. The fishing will just get better and better as the days wear on now, and with the deer season closing in, alot less pressure, good luck and tight lines.....<br><br>Moderator