Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report
Tampa Bay Area <br>Fishing Report<br>Captain Charles Walker<br>8/26/01<br>It’s so hot I think I’m melting but as long as we get out early, come back early and don’t work too hard while outside, it’s OK. The Spanish mackerel are still around, but I had to go well offshore for them in the latter part of the week. If you get out there, troll around the anchored freighters. You will usually find schools of bait and that’s where the macks will be as well. The grouper are not biting well offshore this week, but a few have been brought in, most caught on frozen bait. The 80-foot depths seem to be holding some fish but the bite is definitely slow. The divers tell me that there are plenty of grouper, even in as close as 45 feet, but they are not biting a baited hook for anyone I know.<br><br>On to the bait house reports:<br>Ruskin Bait and Tackle - 813-641-2325 – It’s sure been hot this week. It’s kind of like fishing in bath water. The reds have been schooling up around the edges of the flats. The snapper seem to have moved into deeper water. There are still plenty of black drum and they are biting well.<br>Buddy’s Bait and Tackle on the Courteney Campbell Causeway in Tampa - 813-287-1026 – A lot of redfish have been coming in from around the Red Lobster. Lots of mullet are in this end of the Bay. Cobia are still showing up at odd times and places at this end of the Bay. There are still plenty of snook for catch and release around the floodgates.<br>Bonnie’s Bait and Tackle in Clearwater - 727-446-2772- The grouper did not bite well last week, but there are plenty of them out there. The divers seem to be able to get plenty of them in the same depths that the fishermen can’t get nibbles. A few nice snook are being caught in the Pass at night on big pinfish. A few nice flounder have been brought by the shop from the Dunedin Pass area. Some pompano are being caught around the Bay bridges on Doc’s Jigs. <br>Trappman’s Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- Lots of snook are coming from Weedon Island and the Fourth Street Bridge area. Some 50# class tarpon are around the 4th St. Bridge as well. Pompano are still being caught off the Gandy Bridge on fiddler crabs this week.<br>Dogfish Tackle on Redington Beach - 727-392-6644- Plenty of Spanish mackerel are being caught off the pier in the early mornings. Reds, snook, flounder, and a kingfish were all caught in the area of the pier this week.<br>Don’s Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- Lots of tarpon are in the Pass in the early morning. Spanish mackerel and jacks are biting well along the beach and off the jetties.<br>Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- A lot of grouper have been coming in from our offshore boats this week along with a couple of large amberjack. Off our dock the Spanish mackerel, grouper, angelfish and jacks have biting well and giving our dock fishermen everyone plenty of action.<br>The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- Snapper, grunts, cobia, grouper, Spanish mackerel, snook, and small sharks have all been caught off the piers this week.<br><br>Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie’s fishing report on the Internet.<br><br>If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at captchas@flfish.com or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: http://www.floridasaltwater.com .<br><br>Good fishing and tight lines,<br>Capt. Charlie<br>http://www.flfish.com/fl<br><br><br><br>Capt. Charlie Walker<br>http://www.flfish.com