Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
steelhead flies
I dont fly fish but i do use mainly flies for steelhead fishing. I normaly use wooly worms but i have been looking for some diffrent flies to tie. I am a very novice fly tier.

If you guys have any flies that you like to use, and wouldnt mind sharing.
[signature]
I don't think you can get much better than a Woolly Bugger for Steelhead.
Everyone I know that catches them, uses them.
Just different colors maybe.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Before I was into FF, for steelheads I always used a lure with a lot of orange. Use to make my own so perhaps that was my intro into tying. This one is name after a nice piece of water in Wa. The Skykomish Sunrise. Its worth a try if the bugger fails you. Good luck.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline Skykomish_Sunrise.jpg]
[signature]
[inline "P1010042 (Small).JPG"]

Just caught this tues on black body and red hackle wooly bugger with a small chrome corky in front bottom bouncing.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Nice catch there poky_mon. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]How about a pic of your fly?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there jigs - to me shape & color are the two most important factors in tying a successful fly. Durability comes with experience.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[inline IMG_0252.jpg][inline IMG_0257.jpg][quote Dryrod]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][.img][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]Nice"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/.../happy.gif[/img]Nice[/url] catch there poky_mon. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]How about a pic of your fly?[/size][/#008000][/font][/quote]

this is it and it had a chrome corky in front. I tried one like your pic but it was called a purple peril.
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Looks lke you used moose mane or something similar.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Big ol' woolly SOFT HACKLE!!!!! Sweet!
[signature]
[inline beers_Moosedrlogo.gif]

Don't use moose just drink it. Maybe thats why it looks like it does. Hicup [Wink]
[signature]
okay.. I think we should have a new rule on this forum.. if

if you post a picture of an awesome looking fly then you need to give directions and list the materials etc..

MacFly
[signature]
i make alot of those wooly buggers also, i like using some black chanelle that has red sparkles in it wit a bit of red marabou at the end. i will post a couple pics of mine.
[signature]
here are a couple i tied up today.
[center][inline "jigs 1.jpg"][inline "jigs 2.jpg"][inline "jigs 3.jpg"]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi jigs nice ties. I am going to help you out with your pictures. For one thing you need to keep them to no larger than 450 mp wide, otherwise they take to long to load & readjust the size.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
The Skykomish Sunrise is an old-time pattern that's still used successfully. Just proving that in our rush to use the latest, greatest, newest we sometimes forget that there's a reason the old standbys reached that status. In short, they work.

Another group of great old-timers are the so-called Soo Flies. Before Lake Michigan dies there lived a race of giant rainbows in the St. Mary's River, near Sioux Locks. Big fish and big current (what's that remind you West Coasters of?) demanded flies that could handle those conditions.

More a style of tying than specific patterns, the Soo Flies still take more than their share of steelies for those who know about them. You can find patterns and some of their history here: [url "http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com/fishing-flies-sooflies.html"]http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com/fishing-flies-sooflies.html[/url]

The Great Lakes has developed many fly patterns that are either unknown to West Coasters, or little used by them. A real shame, because some of them are incredibly effective.

One of the best of them is the Spring's Wiggler. You don't see it tied commercially too often, because it's a two-part, hinged fly. But fish can't seem to resist it. It's actually easy to tie if you have a tube-fly adaptor for your vise. Otherwise it can be a PITA. But, IMO, worth the effort.

I've often thought, too, that many of the Atlantic salmon tube fly patterns would work well for steelies. Never put it to the test though.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
ya sorry i tried to see what size they were but i couldnt figure it out. those were the first pics i have posted
[signature]
hook size: whatever floats your boat for a bugger size

tail: black maribou with 4-6 strand red krystal flash

body: black chenille

hackle: black and red seperate pieces

2 beers and 30 minutes to tie it and bada bing your done with the fly or the beer whichever is first
[signature]
those should work good for the steel. What I saw alot of on the clearwater was chartruese and fusia. they were slamming those colors
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]MacFly & TubeN2 will really like that ending part of the pattern. But it will have to be a Bud. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
did you see the bead and bare hook set up they are using up there this year. Maybe they have been doing it a while but its the first i have seen it.
[signature]