Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
old bamboo fly rod
Hey guys, I inquired a old hexagon fly rod a while back and I haven't seen one like this before. it is a combo spin / fly rod. you can turn the handle around. it was trash can worthy when I got it, most guides were gone and some were rewrapped with what looked like size D thread. sence then I have stripped it down and repaired the furrles so they slide together.
my problem is that the rod is warpped real bad, do you guys have any ideas of how I can straighten it ??
I want to rebuild this rod back to a fishable rod but I will never use it I just like them old rods. I have 5 of them now and might get another one some time this year if I can get up to Idaho some time. thanks. chuck
[signature]
[#008058][Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][size 4]Hi there utwalleye - I have a similar problem with just the tip of my 80 yr old boo. Someone mentioned that I should hang in the shower and let the steam build up. Have yet to try that out but one of these days I will.[/size][/font][/#008058]
[signature]
Dry Rod is correct in that steam is your only solution. Some use a tea kettle. NOTE: I have never done this personally, because I haven't needed to.
They suggest you add steam while straightening. I would think one of those steam cloths machines (small hand held sold cheap like $10.)
Hold the piece between your knees and hit it with the steam while bending it straight.
BUT, this could damage the varnish. I would say if you are going to rebuild it to revarnish anyway. In fact a tube and make a nice dipping tank. I would do it even if the rod didn't need straightening. The old varnish on older bamboos was not that great, that is why you were always warned to stay away from silicone.

Just do this gently and you should be alright. One more note....they say the bend can come back.
And it being a Combo, one must compromise. LARGE stripping guide for spinning or Small for Fly. In other words, it will suck for one of the two...no such thing as a good spin/fly combo.
[signature]
I was thinking about trying the steam but just wasn't sure. I guess I will have to come up with some way a making a steamer that can hold it. the bottom section is straight but the tip and middle is warpped pretty bad. thanks for your guys suggesttions. later chuck
[signature]
Just put a tea kettle on the stove and when the steam comes start straightening. It shouldn't take that long. You're just heating up the fibers to straighten them out. Start at the tip and work your way down, little at a time.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]If you don't have a steam kettle try using a hair drier. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
just got the kettle for a friend, I'll be trying it out this week or next. the way I was thinking about doing it is. use a long piece of plastic pipe and hang the rod in it. put a few small holes in the top. and as the steam comes out of the kettle hold the pipe over and capture the steam. after a few take the rod out and lock it down nice and straight and let it set for a while. we'll see how it works.
later chuck
[signature]
[quote utwalleye]Hey guys, I inquired a old hexagon fly rod a while back and I haven't seen one like this before. it is a combo spin / fly rod. you can turn the handle around. it was trash can worthy when I got it, most guides were gone and some were rewrapped with what looked like size D thread. sence then I have stripped it down and repaired the furrles so they slide together.
my problem is that the rod is warpped real bad, do you guys have any ideas of how I can straighten it ??
I want to rebuild this rod back to a fishable rod but I will never use it I just like them old rods. I have 5 of them now and might get another one some time this year if I can get up to Idaho some time. thanks. chuck[/quote]

Hi Chuck - Speaking from 40 years experience - it's not a major undertaking. Steam kettle works best, unless you have gas hotwater shower. Old bamboo, unless it was cured like a Wes Jordan, has that tendency.

Once its re-straightened, best to leave on counter covered in newspaper or wax paper to dry - away from dogs and the kids.

Those combo rods should be re-wrapped using foul proof guides, agate tip and butt guides with size A silk. If you can't find silk (hard these days), then nylon A will work. Do not use too much pressure when wrapping. Now again, if you can't find an agate guide, the Fuji will suffice - but if you want it restored to original condition - then it's agate.
[signature]
Silk isn't hard to find at all. Look in rod building magazines or on line. Check YLI, K.N.K, and Pearsall/Gossamer The Pearsall is a little thinner than the other two) Plus Silk is awesome for flies.
But you will need to put a color preserver if you want to keep the color on Silk.

Here is a fly example. It is regular red thread covered with WHITE silk:

[Image: IMG_0716.jpg]

then when wet, the silk disappears:

[Image: IMG_0719.jpg]

I call the fly...TRANSFORMER C

Silk is awesome!!!! And Classic!
[signature]
As another mentioned get a tea kettle where once the water starts to boil the steam will emanate from the little hole in the cap. Grasp the section of rod section with the bad "set" with a cloth on each side so the steam won't burn you. Then hold the warped section about 4" - 6" above the steam jet gently bending it in the opposite direction of the set or warp. Hold it in the bent position for awhile and move it away from the steam, once it cools you can loosen your grip and you will surely see a significantly reduced warped area, Repeat if you still need to remove some warpage.
[signature]