Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod Holders?????
Guys, I have a new Tundra I'm rigging up. I am trying to decide which type of rod holders to go with. The choices I'm struggling with are whether to drill holes in the gunwales and install flush mounts of install a grab rail and go with rail mounts. I am leaning towards the rail option but it's a bit more $$. Any thoughts or experieces would be appreciated.

Need to be ready for open water walleye at Startvation..

Thanks, Todd... [fishin]
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Wet1,
I had the rail type and they slip around the rail all the time,
I like the side/deck mount that way you only have 4 screws instead of a big hole w/4 screws,
I use the Scotty Power Lock Rod Holders
I love mine.
[signature]
I vote for rail mount - this give you the flexiblity of moving your rod holders where they best fit your fisherman. If the boat top is up I can move them if I want. I get the added feature that I have a nice chrome rail to grab onto whenever necessary and it looks good.

Attached is some other options you can mount on your rail - drink holders, RAM mounts, etc.

Good Luck in whatever choice you make - I just don't like to drill many large holes in boat either.....
[signature]
I have a Tundra and put a bunch of RAM side mount rod holders in. I would be happy to send pics or bs. Send me a pm, if interested.
[signature]
Lundman, that's exactly the rail I was looking at installing, they're a bit pricey though.
Walleyewiper, I would love to see some pics of the way you mounted them.

Thanks for the help guys...[fishin]
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
this is what I have done. I have down rigger slide on/off mounts and I made a slide bracket that slides into the down rigger mounts and I mounted my rod holders to that and I can switch back to the riggers in a second. works great. I can post pics if you would like. later chuck
[signature]
That's exactly what I've wished for - - rod holders I can slide into my downrigger mounts when I'm not using them. I would like to see what you've done to make them. I've wondered why they don't market them, but then there are a lot of different kinds of downrigger mounts. Seems like an obvious thing to me.
[signature]
I use a flush top mount then cannon makes a slide in post mount for my down riggers.They cost kind of a lot (100 a side),but I didn't have to drill any new holes in the boat.[Smile]

Rapala that which is irresistible to fish will always be irresistible to the fisherman.
[signature]
I'll get you some pic's tomorrow, I'm at work rightnow so I'll post in the morning. later chuck
[signature]

here's a couple pics of the brackets I made. I used a 3in. alum. angle iron and a piece poly, poly is somthing like a plastic but stronger. I cut the poly to fit in my downrigger
base mount. then I cut the angle iron about 1\4in. smaller on each side and boltted it the the poly. I had to counter sink the flathead screws so the would slide in the mount. then I had to cut (drill) a small hole for the locking pin pn the base mount. it all seems to work great for me. hope this help you guys out. later chuck
[signature]
You can pick up some cheater chrome rails at Marine Products on 17th S & 900 West, SLC. Then you can get the ones you want and don't have to pay shipping - I think mine were $46 and I just had to drill two small holes per rail.
[signature]
Thanks Utwalleye for posting your pictures. I will definitely make up some rod holders for my downrigger mounts. Something to do while I'm waiting for the water to get softer and more boat-friendly. Thanks again!
[signature]
Thanks guys for all your feedback. I think I'm going to try some side mount ones first.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water