Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What am I doing wrong?
Fishing for catfish.I use a big hook and big bait ( gold fish or blue gills) I cast it out leave a little slack.Wait for the run set hook.Will play a little keep tension on line and fight then BAM he is gone.Any advice?[Image: beaten.gif]
[signature]
Try this setup out:

[ol][li]Put a swivel on the line, and of course the hook will go to that.[/li][li]Then, about 12" below the swivel, put a teardrop sinker on. I use 2oz. myself, because it gives me better range on my casts and it usually keeps the bait from moving around TOO much.[/li][li]Finally, above the swivel and hook, attach a float. I use some really bright orange floats from Wal Mart. Attach it so that it can move up and down the line freely. Its only there to mark your spot in the water. That way when a cat gets the bait, the float moves and you can easily tell when you've got one.[/li][/ol]NOTE: Turn your anti-reverse off, allowing line to be released when a fish takes the bait. Then you won't lose your pole [Wink].

This rig ALWAYS works for me because the swivel keeps the catfish from spinning off. I got this setup from a nice old guy I met fishing the river one day. He told me that a catfish's fight usually consists of spinning. The swivel keeps them from loosening the hook with that spin, it just spins with them. Try that out and see how it works for you.
[signature]
Thanks I will give this a try.Very much so.Happy Fishing[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
You too my friend [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Simp hooked you up with the right method if you are new. Keep another pole active too with sinker on bottom and bait about 1 to 2 foot up and watch the hits and learn to catch them that way too.

Don't just rely on one method. Setting the hook is one the biggest problems most fishermen have. They get big hits and can't set the hook and keep the fish on the line.

With bass, cats whatever you have to get that hook set in their jaw and then have your drag set right to let them play out their strength or you will lose big fish everytime.

Good rig Simp but he needs to learn how to FISH too, lol.....
[signature]
This is true, byte. I really never have to worry about setting the hook with the catfishing I do, so I'm glad you pointed that out. It seems like whenever they take my bait, the swallow the whole rig, and the hook catches their jaw or throat or something when they thrash. But that's just my experience, and it differs everywhere.

I think the bottom line here could be that whatever the setup, pay attention to your line so you can tell when a fish takes the bait, and when it does, grab the pole and make sure the hook is set. I've heard the phrase "When in doubt, set the hook." [fishin]
[signature]
i think, he just learning..so no biggie...
[signature]
we are both helping him simp.... so he learns how to fish..
[signature]
both our methods are good........ I use your too
[signature]
I'm new to catfishing also but a bit Confused about the setup. Is the hook attached directly to the swivel or is there a leader? Is this setup the same as a sliding sinker or Carolina rig but just with a float that moves? Can you go into more detail or draw up a rough diagram on this setup?
[signature]
[inline "slip sinker rig.jpg"]

Theres a pic that i drew up in paint. How i fish with a float is essentially the same as i fish on the bottom (sliding sinker), just with a float and a stopper. The stopper allows you to changes depths by just sliding the stopper.

Also, i always use a leader with a hook on it, and then a clip swivel and the main line tied to that, then a bead and sinker. I like to use leaders for 2 reasons.

1. If your hook gets broken or straightened, you can simply clip it off and put a new one on. Like if you catch a turtle (big problem around here), theres no need to fool with it, just clip it off.

2. The more important reason is to get the bait away from the swivel and the sinker. If you tightline with a clicker, then your swivel will be held right up against the sinker, and the bait right next to the sinker could make a fish not want to bite it. With live bait, this give it some room to move around.

I suppose a leader isnt absolutly essential, but i like them. If you fish in a river with heavy current, then not using a leader would be better to keep in stationary. If thats the case then you dont even really need a swivel either.
[signature]
Yes, the hook is directly on the swivel. About 12" below the swivel & hook, put a drop sinker (teardrop shaped). Then put a sliding float above the swivel & hook. You're set. The float marks your line and indicates activity on the bait. Good luck!
[signature]
check your game laws. in n.j. it is against the law to use goldfish for bait (invasive fish) but it is legal to use sunfish for bait ,these work for big cats and bass as well
[signature]
Its not here in ohio.[fishin]
[signature]
For me, Circle hook is not a good choice. It's only good for sea fishing only.
In order to catch a fish, you have to study this fish from the lake. If it is a feeding lake, think become more & more difficult cause you don't know what stuffs the lake owner give the fish. But if it is a natural lake, thing more simple.
Come to http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforu...ead#unread, then read my post. Hope it could help.
For further info, stop by [#0000bf]thefishhook.blogspot.com[/#0000bf]
[signature]