Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grayling plantings
Does any body else get the same pleasant tingling sensation that I do when I read about more grayling being planted in Utah Lakes and streams? I love those cool looking fish they are fun to catch and look at. I hope they keep up the plantings.
[signature]
They are pretty cool. Too bad they don't grow to the size they do up in Canada!
[signature]
Thats sweet! Have you heard where they are planning to plant them?[Smile]
[signature]
Check the DWR site for more details. Sounds like they have been planting them on and off for quite a number of years now. Also many lakes in the uintas now have them as well as some southern lakes such as in the boulder mountains. Some of the streams such as the upper provo also now have them, probably coming out of the lakes. It also seems that the DWR are expanding the plantings now in other high mountain areas. Even though they do not grow fast, they are one of the most beutiful fish. They can survive high mountain lakes that usually winterkill trout. and it also sounds like they are more resistant to whirling diease than some of the trout.
[signature]
That would be awesome to get them that big. I hear you can find pretty decent ones in the further in uinta lakes, if you are willing to put in the time and effort to hike to them. Maybe as the DWR keeps planting them, overall sizes will improve.
[signature]
They are an interesting fish in that if one is not close to them they resemble an ugly Utah chub; however, if one looks at them closely they have beautiful colors that do not show up at a distance. I agree it will be nice to have them in more bodies of water.
[signature]
They should be where they make sense to have them anything else is poor fishery management.
Wyoming has some Grayling that are consistently 16 to 18".
[signature]
I couldn't agree more; however, I believe today the odds of them being put in waters where they will do well are much greater than they were in the days that they planted anything and everything everywhere hoping that something would work. I trust that a lot more fishery biology is going into the equation these days than back in the good-old-days.
[signature]
I thought I read somewhere that a lot of the populations of grayling are now well adapted to their Utah environments and are successfully reproducing.
[signature]
I hope they put some in Tony's Grove or White Pine Lake. I doubt I'll have time to make it down to the Uintas, so it would be nice if they had them up here in Cache.
[signature]
i had heard they were going to but that was over 2 or 3 years ago now, i had my fingers crossed but i got carpal tunnel and gave up.
[signature]
I think they would have hard time in White Pine- don't see a problem with Tony though I doubt any natural reproduction would happen.
[signature]
In 2008, Arctic Grayling were stocked into 14 Utah Lakes. All were high mountain lakes, as these are the only types of lakes in Utah where they can survive well. They are native to the arctic circle, in Canada and other places where it is cold.

Some of the lakes that they were stocked into are:

Trial Lake and Washington Lake (Provo River headwaters)
Silver Lake (Utah County above Tibble Fork and Silver Lake Flat Reservoirs)
Hardy Lake (Utah County)
Smith & Moorehouse Res. (Summit County)
as well as several others across the state.

For the full 2008 stocking report, go to [url "http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/dwr/2008fishstockingreport.php"]2008 Utah Fish Stocking Report[/url] page.
[signature]
I've haven't actually been up to White Pine yet, but I heard it had brookies. So I figured if they can survive there, then maybe the grayling would be okay as well. Hopefully they put them up there, all my attempts to catch them have been foiled.
[signature]
I swear if you took a whitefish and gave it a longer dorsal fin and some color you have a grayling. Whitefish and grayling must be closely related. And I agree they look a little like chubs.
[signature]
If you've ever seen them up close, they look nothing like a chub. They're purplish-blue and irridescent - very tropical fish looking. Perhaps you're referring to the body structure (minus the sail fin).

You can see all the stocking reports since 2004 to see if they were planted in any other year as well.
[signature]
I went back and checked the past 5 years of stockings. They stocked them in a dozen or so different lakes each year in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Mostly some high mountain lakes in the Uintas, but several others as well. You should be able to find them in almost any part of the state. Just look through the stocking reports, find a lake that looks interesting, and then prepare to go backpacking this summer.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I have caught them in Alaska, but its nice to have them a little closer to home. They are beautiful fish. [Smile]
[signature]
The Utah stocking reports could sure be more user friendly. For example, in Idaho one can do searches by species planted.
[signature]
[quote RyanCreek]I swear if you took a whitefish and gave it a longer dorsal fin and some color you have a grayling. Whitefish and grayling must be closely related. And I agree they look a little like chubs.[/quote]

Take a look at their scientific classifications:

Arctic Grayling
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Actinopterygii
Order: Salmoniformes
Family: Salmonidae
Subfamily: Thymallinae
Genus: Thymallus
Species: T. Arcticus

Mountain Whitefish
Order: Salmoniiformes
Genus: Prosopium
Species: P. Williamsoni

Utah Chub
Order: Cypriniformes
Family: Cyprinidae
Genus: Gila
Species: G. atraria

Rainbow Trout
Genus: Oncorhynchus
Species: O. mykiss

Cutthroat Trout (Bonneville)
Genus: Oncorhynchus
Species: O. Clarki

conclusions?

Grayling are about as closely related to whitefish as they are rainbow and cutthroat trout. Grayling, Whitefish, Rainbow and Cutthroat trout are all Salmonids. None of them are very closely related to the Utah chub.

Grayling are a beautiful fish. Much of the consideration to stock these fish in areas like the Boulder Mountains comes from their ability to over-winter in lakes that other trout cannot. You'll notice that many of the lakes are those also contain populations of brook trout. What grayling will (hopefully) do in these lakes is create a more consistant fishery. Those years that the brook trout die off in the winter, hopefully the grayling will not and they can provide anglers the opportunity to continue to catch fish until the brook trout come back.
[signature]