Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which lb line to use ?
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am planning on doing some walleye fishing when the ice is gone. I will be fishing mostly in a lake near here. Some river fishing as it warms up.

What type of line should I be using? I have heard that fireline may be a good choice. What lb test ?

Thanks for your comments,
Tom
[signature]
I fish in a lot of structure when Walleye fishing.. I use Trilene 20# mono in low vis green and have great success with it.. I like the heavier line since it makes it a little more durable when dragging fish out from around submerged tree branches..
[signature]
Never used over 10, and have not lost a fish yet. Even trolling.
[signature]
Depending on what line your using I wouldnt use anything over 8 probably. Anyone can stick 40lb test on and rip the fish right up no problem.

I always try to use the lightest line possible for the average size of the fish I'm going after. I've pulled 7 lb trout out on 4lb line, but I've also pulled 6 lb pike out on 20lb line.
[signature]
I would say 10# to 12# is the optimum range. Most pro guys i know use those 2 lines.[Wink]
I have 15# P-line flourocarbon on all of my trolling rods now. I love it!
[signature]
I would stay away from braid when i comes to fishing for walleye. Reason being is they can see really good. If i were you i would use 8 or 10lb mono or fluro. Fluro holds up really well in alot of structure and is very hard for the fish to see. But if you are just out trying walleye for the first time, a good quality mono like Gama will work fine.
[signature]