Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Patterm
This little guy was shown to me from a fellow fly tier, but I am sorry I don't have his name. He tells me this fly is Killer on the Provo. Well, I am here to tell you, he is right. Also stillwater, and Canyon Creeks. Just an all around great tie.

HOOK: Mustad C49S #14
BEAD: Black Tungsten 5/64
THREAD: Olive 14/0
TAG: Hot Pink Danville 210 denier
THORAX: Peacock
COLLAR: Partridge or Hen or Coq De Leon

Note: I tie this in two stages. I tie the tag then coat with Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails Clear Polish to add a shine and durability. You can also add thin wire to Thorax to make it more durable

Put Bead on Hook but tilt hook slightly forward in vise so you can run the Tag down the bend.

[Image: IMG_0868.jpg]

At this point I coat the Hook with Sally Hansen's and put on a wheel to dry.

Next I add a couple Peacock Herls.

[Image: IMG_0870.jpg]

I wrap the Peacock from middle of hook to bead. Short Body:

[Image: IMG_0872.jpg]

The feather, I strip the fluff and lower part plus one side and I tie in from
the tip.

[Image: IMG_0874.jpg]

Wrap the hackle two times.....less is more in softhackles:

[Image: IMG_0877.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0881.jpg]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Thanks for the pics & directions on tying that fly. Sort of reminds me of a bee with a hot butt. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4] [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
awesome looking fly sis...... but you know me I have to have a question.. :-)

is pink the only color that is used.. or can it be varied.. say a yellow, or red, or green..??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Sure, but I know the pink works. A Chartreuse or a red might work just as well or Yellow, Orange...... I tied some tonight with Ostrich instead of Peacock. Try tomorrow if the weather holds out.
[signature]
I like. Thanks.
[signature]
cant wait to see the results if you get a chance to go out tomorrow.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
okay sis.. gonna be the newbie here.. lol. (so what else is new)...

on the thread.. that is regular 210 denier and not the flat waxed 210 denier correct?

did you start the tie at mid shank and work back to the bend in the hook and then back up (basically doubling the thread) .. or

did you start at the bend in the and work back to the mid point and tie off there to do the sally hansen thing??

MacFly
[signature]
GREAT QUESTION! The Danville is FLAT WAXED, but it doesn't really matter. Waxed thread is suppose to make it easier to dub, but there is no dubbing on this.
I started at the middle of the hook and worked back but I went back and forth to build it up. Maybe three times.

I did go up to the eye and tie it off then the Sally Hansen.

By the way, I tried a Chartreuse Tagged one today and nothing, switched back to the Pink and Bam! then BAM, then BAM......so on

[Image: IMG_0884.jpg]
[signature]
maybe your fish just like the color pink.. lol..

no likey chartreuse hmmmm maybe the read or orange you suggested.. those are in the same color spectrum as the pink correct??

I did look at the danville threads.. and it comes flat waxed.. and unwaxed.. that was the reason for the question..

now.. thought of this later.. we often discuss ways to cut costs by buying materials at craft stores and such.. is there a comparable thread that can be used on this that can be gotten let say at walmart.. or michaels (craft store).. or is 210 denier something only used by fly tyers??

MacFly
[signature]
Heck yeah, just PINK thread or maybe some kind of floss. I just used this cause I had it.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Most household sewing thread are cotton while others are a blend. However, polyester threads are becoming more readily available. The problem trying to figure out the denier is difficult since most many manufacturers don't state that information. The best that I can determine is that the threads that I have picked up at Jo-Anns are between a 3/0 & 6/0.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
oh crap... means Im gonna have to make a run to michaels in the future.. lol.. wifey is gonna love that.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]