Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutler Walleye
I've heard from several sources that there are walleye in cutler res. Is this true? And, if so, what is the best way to catch them, and where?
[signature]
I know that Utah State has found a pretty healthy population of good sized walleye in Cutler while doing studies there. However, I'm not terribly skilled at catching them. From what I hear, I would try where you have inlets from various the various rivers that empty there, down toward the dam there is deeper water and current as well. I'm trying to learn to catch them out there myself, so hopefully some more experienced people reply to this post.
[signature]
I have picked up walleye in Culter- almost always by accident fishing for bass- If you had a summer and a boat yiou couldcertainly figure them out. Like was said- current, structure and back water with structure.
I have also caught a few below the dam.
[signature]
I've also heard about the walleye, and curious to try and catch some. I have a friend that caught some more towards cornish in the river but never really asked more about it. Would love to hear more info.
[signature]
What river or rivers feed Cutler?? the more i hear about Cutler the more i think ill make the drive down to UT. and give it a whirl thanks for any and all advice.........Im also after the eyes and some cats....
[signature]
Just about every river in Cache Valley drains into Cutler.
[signature]
The Little Bear, Bear, Logan, Blacksmith Fork, and some of the smaller streams end up in there, whether directly, or draining into another stream that dumps in. By the way, I just drove by Cutler about an hour ago, and it's completely open now. I'll have to go look for some walleye next week.
[signature]
oh okay, thanks, let me know how the eye fishing goes for you and ill do the same when i manage to get down there.....
[signature]
Definitely, I'll let you know. Don't base your opinion about Cutler on my success though, I'm not too experienced with walleye. I never seem to catch them when I'm trying for them, only when I'm after another species. Like the time I caught around an 8lber on a fly rod at deer creek. Fun stuff.
[signature]
Hey gstott, do you go out in a boat or from the bank.
I have fished from the bridge, at cache junction, mainly for cats, but I also put my boat in right there, and I seen stacks of fish in the channel on my fish finder but never even got a nibble, I'm sure a lot of yellow bellies but there were some big fish show up.
When you go lets us know if you get any.
[signature]
I have always wanted to put the boat on Cutler and give her a try but was always reluctant too since it looks kind of shallow. Are there maps out there of Cutler? I have maps for almost every other (major) Utah lake, but not Cutler. Just hate to put the boat on and have something happen you know? Is the only ramp the one there by that bridge on your way to Newton? Any info would be great thanks!!!
TS
[signature]
I have launched at cutler a couple times, I know just out from the ramp is ( not sure exactly where) a big rock or else a cement footing or something that will get your prop if you let it down too deep, keep your trim up as far as possible until you get out in the channel a little ways.
[signature]
i would stay reluctant out there in a V-hull boat, i have a outboard jet drive on a flat bottom boat and i have had a whole bunch of close calls on getting stuck. when that boat is on plane it needs less than a 8inches of water to run. Even if you think you are in the channel i would still not go very fast unless you know where every little hump and bump is. If you can't push your boat with a push rod once your stuck i would not recommend it. I spent a little time out there last fall and it seems very appealing for some fishing. by the way is it open yet over there??? Benson marina has access too.
[signature]
Are you trying to keep me out of a honey hole?[sly] Thanks for the heads up!!! Last I heard it was wide open, that is why I was asking.
TS
[signature]
TS I will be putting my boat in there this year but I will keep it trimmed up for the big motor and just use my trolling motor for fishing. There are a lot of shallow spots out there. I have my 14' on there when I was deer hunting and never had a problem with hitting any thing,but have seen it when its drained and its a little spooky looking to be putting a bigger boat on!
[signature]
Cutler can be kinda of scarry if you havent been on it mutch. After a few times on the lake [a good gps dosent hurt either] you can run it without any problem. Ive run full throttle fron the dam all the way to benson many times allthough you have to keep an eye out for the water level it can drop 2 to 3 feet in almost no time and ya there are a few eys in there . There is better fishing up river though up by the ramp on the north end of benson you can put a 16 foot boat on it with no problm
[signature]
Some of the backwater is still iced over. but the main channel is wide open. and there are three boat ramps: cache junction, benson, and one on hwy 30.
[signature]
Hopefully FISHINMA will respond! I've never met anyone as good as her for catching walleye out of cutler or the bear river. She catches them 30"+ every year! Most guys don't believe it but she's my motherinlaw and i've seen it!
[signature]
Pix?
[signature]
Here's the only pics I've got. I know the 2nd pic is 28". The third is right at 30 I believe.

Now do you believe me?
[signature]