Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding info on a boat
[:/] Got my boat and trailer, slowly working on getting it fixed up. But I want to know more about it than just having it. What can I do to find out more?

All I know is that it was manufactured by Brunwick and I've got the serial number. Any clue where to go from here?
[signature]
[Smile] Go to yahoo , and type in Brunswick (dont forget the s ) boats , they have a few sites there !

Flagmanonice........P.S Are you fishing Mill Lacs with us ?
[signature]
Well, I've made a little bit of progress on my search... what I've got is an Owens. But I can't find any real information on them. Maybe I need to make a trip to the library instead of goin' out and fishing (Lonehunter knows about getting other projects done instead of fishing).

Anybody else out there that can help... it would be much appreciated!
[signature]
can you post a picture of it?

what do you want to know about it?

weight capasity?

most of the information you need to know about a boat should be on a plate where you found the serial number, unless it is worn down to the point where you cant see it.
[signature]
I've gotta get the film developed then I'll get it on here. Or maybe I'll borrow my girlfriend digital camera and take a picture of it. After all, I did pay for the camera so I should be able to use it whenever I want. [Tongue]

The only information on the plates (it has two with info) is the name "Brunswick" and a maximum of 65hp recommended and a five-digit serial number. I came across the name "Owens" on the side when I washed all the mud and gunk off of it. The actual name is no longer there, but where the emblem was put on there, it clearly reads "Owens" on both sides.

I looked online and found a website dedicated to "Owens" boats but they didn't offer much help. They're looking for pictures of Owens boats that are still in operation. Maybe I have a collectors item.

Main reason I'm looking for info is so I can know weight capacities, what the boat is capable of overall, etc.
[signature]
[size 2] As mentioned before go on to website and get there address and phone#. Take Serial# off boat and tell manufacture you would like the manual or instructions that came with boat.[/size]

[size 2] I boat a used boat and Sea Ray hooked me up that way[Wink][/size]
[signature]
They haven't made Owen's boats for at least 20 yrs. They don't have a website. I checked with the other companies on the Brunswick website and they all told me about the same thing, "Sorry, can't help you".
[signature]
it may be old enough to enter in to a clasic boat show.[Wink] I believe they call it a "show boat"[sly]
[signature]
[size 2]That sucks.[unsure][/size]
[signature]
Yeah, it does but that's okay. I've got a plan that needs to be presented to the person who has a motor for it. His daughter (a good friend of mine) said that since he does road construction, he won't have much to do all winter so maybe, just maybe, if I pay for supplies, he'll fix the boat up for me. It'll cost a lot less than paying the professionals $75 per hour on labor! Gotta see if he's willing to do that. Then maybe it'll be worthy of being a show boat.
[signature]
I had forgot which post it was on that I told you my project boat. so I put here this way you would get a note that I put it here.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1323;]

Its not much, but if I had to go out and buy it I would have to spend well over a grand.

the only thing I havent done to it is put in new wheel bearings and a new trailer jack. I have a 5 horse motor but am seriously concidering that new 4 stroke motor for $700

that will run around $75-$100.
[signature]
Nice boat! Nice trailer! Nice trailer jack! I think that's the best part. I have a trailer jack on my trailer. That's the first thing I put on it. Now I might have to take it off so I can repaint the trailer. That project won't be happening this year though.
[signature]
ya cant go wrong with rustolium.

mine had lots of rust pits, after hitting it with a wire brush and knocking every ting off then washing off the trailer, I used 2 quarts of rustolium to put on 2 coats of paint. and unless you walk up to realy examine it you cant see the rust.

it has been 2 years now since I painted and there is no signs of rust attempting to regrow.
[signature]
I wanted to do the job this year but never got to it. If I still have it next year, I'm gonna get the rustoleum. I just think it's too cold to try and paint it this year. Plus, I don't want to be out in the cold for hours working on it. I still need to get one of the tires changed so I can get the one that's on the trailer back to the rightful owner. It's his spare. Hehe.
[signature]
you are right about that, you want a worm and sunny day for a clossy finish or a dark gloomy day for a mat finish.

also you may want to stop by wallmart for your tires. I picked up two for mine I am going back for a third so I dont have to rely on a used tire for a back up.

I think I paid $30 apeice for them (tire and rim one unit) sure was nice not having to pump up the tires this year after the snow left.

if all else fails you will have a good trailer ready for a good aluminum boat.
[signature]
Yeah, I tried Walmart. Only saw two tires there beginning of June. Haven't seen any since.

Someone just told me to get a life. Just thought I'd share that with you. Hehe.
[signature]
lool you should have said him "my sole perpose in life is to personaly pester you untill I get my tiers I will be back here next week and the week after that and the week after that and so on"

I could only emagin his face if you told him that.... lol

I too had to go to a couple different wall mart stores before I found my tiers, but when I found a store that carried them they had them all. every size type and hole pattern.

the store clossest to my house still dose not have the tires for my trailer and it has been almost two years now. lol [sly][sly][sly] and yes they give me some strang hairry eyeball every time I walk in to the store. I expect one day they are going to get me a good one, I am going to ask for the tire and they are going to have it... [Tongue]
[signature]
LOL. I should do that. Of course, I haven't checked every walmart. Just the local one. Every week I drive by a second one but I never stop there. Dunno why. It's a larger, nicer place. Plus I even know a couple of the cashiers there. Hmmm, I should have them egg on the sporting goods dept. until they get the tires I need. Hehe.
[signature]
Well, I finally found a tire at a Wal-Mart. Took forever it seemed. But it wouldn't stand up to the weight of the boat for very long... especially on a long trip. So, I went to the store where I knew I could get one that could handle the weight.

Now, I take the boat to my friends place and have her dad look over it carefully (he's got experience with these things) and says "I could work on it for you but it'll take a lot of time and I'll need to be reimbursed. My rough estiamte is...." And with that I decided, I can't afford to fix it.

Anyway, it's a 1965 Owens Runabout... can handle up to a 65hp outboard. Don't know the weight capacity because it's not printed on the serial plate.
[signature]
I picked up a 1967 Mohawk a couple of years ago and I also was looking for info about the boat and the 1959 35 Johnson that was on it. I put in a search for Antique boats or motors. That gave me a number of hits. If I remember right there was a few that were dedicated to boats.
My Mohawk was has been out of production a number of year also but there are also people that collect the mohawks. They produced a wooden boat as well.
I am selling my mohawk with a 2001 nissan 25 hp 2 cycle motor. maybe next spring some one will take it. Good luck with your project. Chief
[signature]