Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking to hook into some big cats
[Smile] if any one has any good ideas for bait and were to go that would be great thanks for the help[Wink]
[signature]
most everyone says shrimp at lincoln beach never tried for catfish there my self heard it really rocky maybe "TEXAS" riged no weight would keep you from snagging bottom

aquaman
[signature]
[cool]Cats are in and around most rocky shorelines right now, looking for places to spawn...and feeding on the run. They are often shallow. They don't have much choice in Utah Lake, but many big ones are hooked in less than two feet of water.

Use shrimp, whole crawlers, cut anchovies, smelt, sucker meat, frozen minnows, chicken livers etc. One bait I have recommended a lot and haven't heard anyone using is mackerel. Cheap at most fish markets. Strong smelling and oily. Catfish candy. Cut fillets off the sides and then cross cut the fillets into strips or chunks. Leave the skin on to help hold the bait on the hook as it gets soft. Also, keep the bait on ice to help keep it as firm as possible.

Fish without any weight, or cast a bobber with a couple of feet of line below...just enough to keep the bait out of the rocks, but down in kitty country. A lot of folks don't realize that cats will rise off the bottom to take a suspended bait.

Fish inside the harbors or outside along dikes and at the edges of stickups...if you can find any. In most of the good spots, you will see others already there and "harvesting". Follow their lead, but don't crowd them, unless invited to plunk down. Of course, others are not likely to show you the same courtesy.

Good Luck.

TubeDude
[signature]
I like using chicken liver at the pumps after dark![Wink]
[signature]
when you say pumps to you mean on the jorden river just north of utah lake every time i go by there the river is dry

aquaman
[signature]