Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear needed to ty
What is the basic gear needed to make some descent flies? Also to you "match the hatch" when figurng out what to make you next fly look lik?
[signature]
Basic gear, a good vise, a rotary does make life easier. A bobbin or two with teflon or ceramic inside the tube. Good pair of pointed, thin, very sharp scissors, and a whip finishing tool or you can do that by hand.
Match the hatch, absolutely, but there are many variations to that.
Haresears and Pheasant Tails mimic allot of different insects. It is important to various sizes. Prince Nymphs, Copper Johns (different colors).
Dries, there are the Pale Morning Dun (gray colored) Blue Winged Olive (olive colored) Adams, Mosquitos, Griffith Gnat (which is suppose to mimic a cluster of midge) and then the Elk Hair Caddis.
Again, size can be the key factor.
There are specialty flies for special months like Mothers day hatch, the stoneflies, and Cicadas, and hoppers.

There is also the PUPA's, Emergers. I love Chironomids and San Juan worms and eggs.
Unlike spin fishing or Bait casting, you do have to do some homework and get into a little entomology.
[signature]
I would add hackle pliers to the basic list, if drys are being tied. A hair stacker is useful for evening up bucktail and similar materials. And an exacto type knife, which works better than scissors for some applications.

If you get into tying hair bugs, a heavier set of scissors and/or razor blades are necessary for trimming the spun hair.

For flies using epoxy, you'll want a rotating drying rack, either manual or electric powered.

Many early lists of basic tools include dubbing needles. But, other than as an aid for applying head cement, they're probably the least used tool in the tyer's arsonal.

For a beginner, a book or video demonstrating basic tying techniques. Most of them are not hard, but if you've never seen how to start the thread on a hook, it can drive you crazy.

One cautionary note: fly tying can become addictive. Not as dangerous as heroin, but just as habit forming.

Brook
http//:www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Yea Brook tell me about the addiction to tying.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I guess I would have had to ask Jaynap if he has a budget. Gosh not to be critical but together you guys will have him spending a fortune. Since MacFly is probably our newest tying we need for him to offer his initial experience of getting into tying.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
lol.. didnt we discuss this all before..

I agree with all that has been said so far.. but want to add.. that depending on budget you will want to buy the best initial vise and tools that you can.. as for books.. the orvis tyers guide and the fly tyers desk reference are two good books to start off with.... also.. there are fly kits that are reasonably priced... they give you all the materials you will need to make the fly indicated..

next.. if there is a fly fishing club near you.. check them out .. a lot of them offer free tying classes for members and minimal cost for non members.. they are also an excellent source for information on what flies will or will not work in your area..

if you get a chance to meet up with an experienced tyer as I did.. take advantage of it.. I learned so much in an afternoon of tying that no book can teach you..

lastly.. dont hesitate to ask questions as they arise on this or any other forum you belong too.. I know on this site the tyers here are always willing to help you out ..

MacFly
[signature]
Good summary Macfly.
Brook I have never used hackle pliers, but I guess it is good to learn right[cool]
As far as HAIR FLIES, you will need a stacker for Elk Hair Caddis. Personally I have never been able to STACK Bucktail come to think of it, Calf tail (the ones on the long tail like thing) either.
As for hair flies, be sure and look for pelts that have long fibers and they are squiggly at the base. They wrap better.
[signature]
Joni: You can turn small hackles with your fingertips? I know Lee Wulff used to do it, and I once watched a Colorado tyer named Bill Purdy do it, but I'm still VERY impressed! And I know you use some pretty tiny bugs at times.
[signature]
I do. I never used hackle pliers so I don't know how it would be.
[signature]
wait a minute.. are you saying the hackles on the small flies you show us here you did with your fingertips and not the pliers.. that is such a small piece of hackle.. how do you do that??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Actually, I got some top notch hackle from Dennis Brakke before he passed.
They are not that short. These capes have allot of long smaller size hackles on them. Kind of like the 100's in like a size 26 and 28.
[signature]
but ya still do it with your fingers and not hackle pliars?? amazing.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]If you have $225 just kicking around waiting to be spent I would recommend picking up the Dyna_King Fly Tying Kit. It has everything you need to get started. The vice is a Dyna_King Kingfisher, a full set of tools by Dr Slick and so on.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]It helped me get started tying $10.00 flies. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline dkftk.jpg]
[signature]
DR

just curious, is that the vise you still use??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Yes MacFly but I also have a Nor-Vise which is a cool tool to use.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline Nor-Vise.jpg]
[signature]
thats the one that does all the work for you isnt it.. :-)..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Not for nothin', Dryrod, but what on our lists would you not consider part of a basic kit? That's what was asked for.

And I second Mac's point. There is nothing gained in buying cheap tools, whether you're in to wood working or fly tying.

I'm well aware of budget constraints. I started tying with no commercial gear at all. There was no money for such frivalities. My "vise" was a set of needle-nosed vise-grips. Instead of a bobbin I had a rubber button screwed to the edge of my tying table (which, itself, was a piece of scrap plywood). More than 90% of my tying materials were either road kills or scrounged stuff.

While I was certainly able to tie flies with that make-do equipment, it did not make me a better tyer. Later on, when I was gifted with a Thompson Model A, and splurged on a bobbin, I actually had to relearn many techniques. Decent gear really does make that kind of difference.

I haven't learned much through the years. But I'm a firm believer, when it comes to tools, that you spend 10% more than you can reasonably afford. As a friend's father is always stressing, "don't be afraid to buy the best. You'll never be disappointed."

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
Absolutely Brook. I personally think one can tie with GOOD scissors, at least one GOOD bobbin, and either a whip finisher or the fingers (Kelly Galloup use just his fingers) The other things like a Bodkin, a picker, a stacker and hackle pliers MIGHT be needed. I use a sewing needle glued to a wine cork for a bodkin. and as I said, never used hackle pliers.
Two bobbins are nice if you are using two different colored threads. I don't use one for wire or lead substitute wire, I just use the spool for that, and no waist.
Later on, a Hair stacker for specialty flies and dubbing loop tool WHICH is where you really need a rotary vise.
I have two rotary vises and seldom use the spinning feature, except when doing a dubbing loop.
Like Brook, by learning this way, I can tie a fly on the spot with a leatherman
tool with the channel lock.
Can I also say, I don't use wax on the thread. I was taught a long time ago that it was more for beginners. Most thread is waxed already. A little water on the fingers works just as well and is free.
[signature]
[indent][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif] Well unforntunately depending how one views life I spend what I feel like. Lost my wife several years ago, don't have any children and just a handful of relatives. So if I don't spend it I know of someone who has a lot of plans for other peoples money. [Image: bobwink.gif]I would never advocate to someone who is just getting into tying to pick up a Nor-Vise and it's accessories. There are also much less expensive kits than the Dyna-King Kingfisher set. Buy what you can affords, but remember cheap stuff only lasts for so long. Brook nailed it down when he made the statement about wood working tools. If a turning chisel won't hold an edge what good is it.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/indent]
[signature]
"I use a sewing needle glued to a wine cork for a bodkin"

I used something like that for many years, Goddess. A friend of mine who makes bamboo rods, however, uses the trimmings to make bodkins, and I now have several of them.

Would I buy something like that? Likely not. But the price was right, and they're fun to brag on.

Having learned to whip finish by hand I never have gotten the hang of a whip finisher. I keep fooling with them, but it's quicker to just continue using my fingers.

If you tie a lot of bucktails, as I do, a stacker is crucial. But I made one from an empty rifle cartridge, rather than buy one.

Fact is, anyone can make a lot of their tying tools.

Brook

[url "http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com"]http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com[/url]
[signature]
are those the grey and black.. and the orange and black ones you sent me in a grab bag a long time ago.. ??\

MacFly
[signature]