Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard N. Marina (No jokes this time)
Hello all,

Well, I got home from the ISE at about 7pm (Thanks for the tickets theangler), and as soon as I walked in the door my 4 year old son, Wyatt, came running up to me and met me at the door. He had tears in his eye, and said I was supposed to be home when he got home from pre school. Then he said, "Daddy, when you weren't home I thought you went back to the war." Holly crap!!! I got all choked up because I haven’t told the kids that I am heading back to Iraq in Aug yet. My wife and I think its best to wait until we have 100% final orders in hand before we tell them, its not worth telling them and getting them all worked up if there is a SMALL chance for something to get canceled. Anyway, my wife told him that I was out with a friend at the "hunting show" and I would be back soon, but the boy didn't believe her.

Well, all choked up and with tears welling up in my eyes I loaded him in the truck, grabbed a couple poles, and we headed out to Willard Bay for some special father/son time. Wyatt was WIDE EYED and excited as heck about this spontaneous fishing trip. While in the truck he started jamin' out to the radio, dancing in his car seat, and talked and talked and talked and won't stop TALKING!!!! LOL

When we got to the N. Marina, I was in awe at the amount of open water. The ice has backed off the mouth of the marina at least 30 feet and opens up even more to the north. The ice has also back out all the way to the island that is off of Pelican beach. Tomorrow, my wife is working and I get the kids all day, (sigh, worry, stress) so we are going to take out the boat in the afternoon and check out the depth of the water in the open areas and might even wet a line or four.

Anyway, Wyatt really wanted to play on the beach and try to catch a fish, so we walked down the beach and I casted a ratt-l-trap out for him so he could reel it in. The only problem was he wanted to play on the beach and try to catch a fish at the same darn time... So after I explained that he could play in the sand OR try to catch a fish, and I got the knots out of the spinning reel, he decided to catch him a "BIGGGGGG fishy". I said, "okay, you show daddy how to do it." No sooner did I get those words out of my mouth, and ZZZZING the drag started going on his little ugly stick. I looked up from my pole and saw his rod almost come out of his little hands. He was screaming, "I GOT 'EM DAD!!! I GOT HIM" I ran over to him after dropping my brand new Abu-Garcia in the sand and he kept trying to hand me the pole. I told him to reel and keep the rod tip up, but sure enough he dropped the rod tip down, putting slack in the line and lost the fish...

He reeled up the line the rest of the way and sure enough, no fish. He was pissed and I mean pissed! He started crying like I have never seen him cry before. This little 4 year old, stomped all the way back up the beach and to the truck and when he got there, he told me to hurry up it was time to go. I tried to get him to try again, but no way, he was so mad he just wanted to leave.

The whole way home he just sat there in his seat sobbing and muttering under his breath, "stupid fish, I don't like fishing."
Holly cow!!! This kids got me tearing up again...[Image: sad.gif] It just broke my heart. So about half way home, I asked him if he wanted to try again tomorrow. He told me, "No!" in that pouty/snappy tone that kids get when their upset. I told him that we could take the boat and look for THAT fish and get him back for letting the hook go.

Well, that did it, just the mention of going out in the boat rekindled the motivation to go fishing. "You mean it daddy? Can we use the boat to look for him!?!?" I told him we could, and he wouldn't stop talking about it the rest of the way home. In fact when we got back home to Roy, he went straight to the bathroom, brushed his teeth, got his jammies on, grabbed a book, came down stairs, and said, "I'm ready for night-night". It was bedtime, I told him he did a good job getting ready for bed so fast, but it was a shock that he did this since I never told him to get ready for bed. So I asked him why he got ready for bed so fast (and without a fight I might add), he to me that he needed sleep so he could get up early and find that naughty fishy.[Image: happy.gif] That made me Smile.

Boy, if I don't get that kid into some fish tomorrow I'll never live it down...
[signature]
too bad you diddnt get to see what was on the end of your boys line. And too bad now you have sand in your reel.....on your other rod. I hopw you guys can find em tomorrow good luck

did you enter your dog???
[signature]
I think I got lucky and didn't get any sand IN the real. It sounds fine, I just can't beleive I got that excited to actually drop that darn thing, it was it's maden trip...[Wink]
[signature]
That was a great story, jplacquay.
I sure hope you get him a fish tomorrow.
If all else fails, take him to the Roy Community Pond sometime.
It has been stocked with planter trout already this year and there are also some broodstock Lakers and Brookies in there.
Good luck and tight lines for you in the morning,
DKS.
[signature]
Where is Roy Community Pond, I've never heard of it?
[signature]
Didn't you get a community fisheries booklet at the show? If not, go to the DWR website, under fishing, look ofr community fisheries. They are a series of ponds that are mostly urban and are stocked every 2 weeks by the state. hey start with mostly rainbow "snits" and some brood stock early in the year, then they switch to 17" cats when it warms up.

As far as Willard, when you leave the marina, there is a hump on both sides of the channel, North and South. Be very careful. I would even just use the bow-mount if I were you, just till you learn where it is and how deep it is under the surface at this level.
I'm also suprized that there has been nobody fishing the docks or inner beach yet. They are favorite spots for crappie right after ice out.
[signature]
Yes...that was a great story. I was out there yesterday on the north dike but had no luck. I even saw two boats come over there so I guess it is deep enough to get there. Another good place to take the kids is Pioneer Park pond in Brigham City. They planted it last year with lots of trout, Macs and a few crappie. I've seen a few rainbows cruising around in there that are maybe 3lbs. [Smile]
[signature]
Very nice, now find that fish.
[signature]
Great story!!! I have a 5 yr. old son that likes to hunt and fish with his dad as well...last fall I set up a ground blind on a water hole and spent an evening hunt with him, he packed his own pack with supplies he thought we was going to need (treats,drinks, elk calls) I asked him about his game boy, and he replied..." Dad , I gonna be using my bugle to call in a BIG BULL for you...I 've been practicing." I said ok let's go! Once we got set up, he wanted to start calling, let him do that for awhile, then it was treat time...To make a long story short,That evening we had 3 cow moose visit us within 25 yards,no elk.. I got about a 1/2 hr. of video ,of one of the best elk hunts of my life....I know the feeling. I hope you catch that stupid fish!!!! Lets us know how it all turns out?
[signature]
[quote Troll]I'm also suprized that there has been nobody fishing the docks or inner beach yet. They are favorite spots for crappie right after ice out.[/quote]

There was a guy in a flat bottomed boat crappie fishing the inner harbor yesterday afternoon.
[signature]
Well, we hit is again today. Don't worry I'm not going to write as much as I did lst night. Anyway, we got in the boat at about noon, or so. We fished for about 3 hours, and not even one bit. I was afraid that Wyatt was going to freak out on me, but I got off EASY this time. When it was time to go and we hadn't gotten any fish, he just said that the "stupid" and "naughty" fish were hiding under the ice so we could get them in the boat. He just said that we would have to got him after the ice was all gone so he couldn't hide anymore.
[signature]
Is that resevoir ever going to melt?
[signature]
Sue it will... I hope[crazy]
[signature]
The address for Meadow Creek Pond is,
5175 S. 4200 W. Roy Ut.
It's hidded in the back of homes in the sub division.
The pond is being stocked with planter trout now and catfish will show up in June.
[signature]