Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba 3-14
Went to yuba for the first time yesterday. We got there about 7am . Launched the boat and started trolling toward the dam. I was using a crawler harness. We were also throwing throwing lures toward the bank. Not seeing much on the fish finder. About 9am across from the ramp i felt two bites. As i was watching for my bait to come into view i seen a pike take my bait. I was using a chartuse round jig head with a cabelas white and silver swim bait. After a short, about ten foot of line fight we had it on the boat. It was awesome. My cousin took a couple pics with my digital and one on his disposable camera. I was so worried about not hurting the fish and getting it back in the water. I did not check to make sure he got the pics on my camera. My luck , my first pike and no pic on my camera. So i hope the pic he took on his turns out good. We talked on the boat and thought it was about 35 inchs. When i got home i had my daughter measure the spread of my hands i guessed it was and it was probably more like 31. But it was fatter than the musky i caught at pinewiew last year. Anyway i let it go. It swam out of my hands by itself and seemed to be unharmed. We did not get any more bites . We zig zagged the bank looking for fish. We found that they were suspended from top to bottom at 48+ feet. Go any shallower and the fish were gone. We could find fish but could not figure out what they wanted. But it was a great day. Blues skies not much wind at all. For my first time there i learned some stuff . Just not how to catch alot of fish. Maybe next time. I did try a bottom bouncer for the first time. It was in about 20 feet of water. Is that to shallow ? Its seemed like it was to close to the boat and got hung up alot.
[signature]
You probably passed right by myself and weekend_warrior. We fished in between the ramp and the dam all morning. You caught more than we did though! Good job and catching your first, 31 is respectable.

You aught to come join us at the Yuba Pike/Walleye Contest, big money and prizes!
[signature]
I guess i wasnt the only one having bad luck out there too. I started out by the dam worked my way to walleye point went to the narrows and a few other spots in between and i did get one pike to bite a 10 inch lure and that was it! But it was a beautiful day though even though the wind started blowing bad from painted rocks to the north side of oasis.
[signature]
Cool, hope we can see the pics of the pike!! I had a blast and will be going back often to try my luck!! I know I will get one sometime!!
[signature]
Hey ratstar, I am signed up for the tourny. And the club. I am pretty excited . This was our recon trip. It went ok. We learned some stuff. Need to learn alot more. We were in the old faded yellow and white tri haul boat . You know the one that looked lost[cool]. We are going back next weekend for more practice. I just cant get the feel of the bottom bouncer[crazy].
[signature]
Aesome good to put a name, with the BFT name, with a face. Good luck to ya!
[signature]
It appears that there were quite a few bftrs out there yesterday. You have to get used to bottom bouncing once you get the hang of it you will have success catching eyes. I am sure i saw you out there i was running all over the place since the fish were hiding so good. It would be nice to get to meet some other bftrs on the water and share info .
[signature]
I think that the majority of the fish you were seeing were probably carp. i was there also and marked lots of fish caught 2 carp on jigs and 1 pike about 30inches. just a guess but couldnt find the perch. big arches in 20 feet of water that wont bite should probably get an under water cam.
[signature]
fishing a bottom bouncer setup is better to use a baitcaster reel. you need to be at your trolling speed or at least moving when you let your line out. your line will be close to the boat, with your rod straight out the side of the boat your line should be at about a 45 degree angle. you can fish a bounce in less 10 feet and still get bit form walleyes at yuba. later chuck
[signature]
Ocean , I only seen about 6-8 boats on the water. And it sounds like they were all bfters. I will be back there saturday if you see me give me a shout out . I dont have much info . But i could use yours[Wink]. My name is scott.
[signature]
buler, An underwater camera would be good. I was thinking i was going to update my fish finder. But maybe i will get a camera first. It would be nice to see what is down there. And all the fish i seen on the screen were big walleye and i wont believe anything else[cool]
[signature]
With the stronghold the pike have on the lake i think we are in for another few years of spotty walleye fishing. sure would be nice to know what kind of fish we are seeing on the electronics but my money is on carp. it is nice to see the water coming up hopefully it will stay that way. did anyone make it to the south end? is there any ice left down there?
[signature]
utwalleye, Thanks for the help. I do have a baitcaster. I have read that when you feel a hit you push the button and let it take line. If so do you hold your thumb on the line so it dont back lash? Or do you tighten the spool some? Or do you just feed your rod back and then set the hook?When i tried my bouncer i was not sure how the bottom was suppose to feel. I guess it is just something you learn with practice.
[signature]
You mentioned you got hung up on the bottom bouncer... perhaps your bottom bouncer isn't heavy enough or youre trolling abit too fast. gotta balance that medium!
[signature]
Wife and I were out Sat in the red and white Four Winns... beutiful day but we didn't fid the perch until afternoon... Slow all day for us.
[signature]
Most of the fish on my finder were carp. I really wanted to try a few spots on the painted rocks side but the wind was a little to much for my wife. I dont know if i am going to hit yuba or lincoln beach this saturday but if i do hit yuba i will keep an eye out for you. I have a 16 ft tan crestliner my name is cesar. I always ask for a radio check before i leave the marina to see if the rangers or anyone else is listening.And i stay on channel 16 unless someone else that i know is on the water i want to keep in touch with.
[signature]
I have a dumb question for you I'm curious.How can you tell what kind of fish(carp) your looking at on your finder?

Rapalas R rated G for everyone............................[fishin]
[signature]
I'll get this one Chuck. You don't really want to push the button and let out line. Just drop your rod back until you feel the weight of the fish, then sweep your rod forward to set the hook. Most times, I just lower my rod back to the fish and then start reeling. It takes some practice. Many times a Walleye will follow your bait along and grab it. Then swim along with you. All you will see is a slight tick and then the tip of your rod will be bent a bit more than it was. I use Lindy rigs more than bouncers, but the bite is generally the same.Lindy no snag sinkers are better in shallow, calm water. Bouncers are better in wind and deeper water.
The biggest problem most folks have is that they think bouncers are draggers. They are not for dragging along the bottom. You get them out to where they just tick bottom and then lift and lower them to make sure they are touching bottom, but not dragging along.
Lindy rigs are for dragging. Let out until it just touches bottom, then reel it up one turn and set it in the rod holder.
[signature]
Walleyebob, Great info. I can't wait to get back out and try my luck again[Smile]. I will be fishing this method until i get it. Thanks for the help . I will post when i get back satuerday, how i did. [fishin]
[signature]
Big schools of big fish you see on your finder will be carp maybe a pike in the middle of them. Perch will blackout your screen most of the time . Plus yuba has mostly carp in it .Just drop a worm anywhere and see what happens.
[signature]