Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused about fins need help
Hey everyone this is my first post and I'm new to float tube fishing. I recently bought 2 fishcat 4's and a set of neopreen stocking foot waders.

My question is what kind of diving flippers should I get open foot or full foot? Will full foot fins work with stocking foot waders?

I'd much preffer full foot if they'd work.

Josh
[signature]
I think you answered your own question. If they work, go for it. Most here use the scuba fin, but use Aqua shoes or sand booties with them. That way they are not walking on the neoprene which you DON'T want to do. Some even old canvas shoes.
[signature]
I'm still a little unsure. Which type?

these (Full foot)

[url "http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4567A3"]http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4567A3[/url]

or these (Open heal)

[url "http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4106"]http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4106[/url]

Will the socks work with a full foot and my waders? I was thinking my waders (stocking foot) might not fit. Are full foot made to wear aqua socks in? I'm under the impression people go bare foot with them when snorkleing. I don't know I'm totaly clueless when it comes to fins.
[signature]
all I can tell ya is from my own state of confusion (like yours right now.. :-) ).. I shopped back and forth and asked a lot of questions and this is what I eneded up with..

I have breathable waders with a stocking foot.. I then took the waders with me and bought a decent pair of diving boots.. and then got the open heel fins like the second link you showed..

now.. make sure and take the waders with you when you get the boots.. and the fins if you can.. that way you can make sure you have a nice snug fit but not one that will be too tight and cut the circulation off in your foot..

btw.. I got my booties and fins from basspro.. but you can get both at other places.. go with what you are comfortable with and what you can reasonably afford..

hope this helps..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
You might want to spend some time checking out the Archives and Help Desk. There is a lot of good information up there broken down by subject. I think you will find that most use the divers fins but open heal. Macfly was right about taking in your waders if you can to find a shoe that fits well over them. Then get a fin to match the shoe. You don't want things too tight or your feet get cold when you add layers of socks when it gets cold.
[signature]
I am going to echo both these guys. Always take your waders with you when buying shoes. Once you got the shoes, you should be able to find the flippers. I agree the adjustable open heel is the wise choice.
I wear regular fishing boots, as I also fish rivers, with breathable waders and neoprene foot. I had to buy my shoes two sizes larger for the extra cloth in the foot. Most wading boots say they adjust for the neoprene, but sometimes the wader foot might have a little slack requiring to go larger shoe/boot.
I am sure the Aqua Shoes or flats booties require the same in that as you said...you are usually bare foot in them.
[signature]
Thx I guess I'll go to some dive shops and take my waiters with me. I have quite a few in my area I just thought I'd save myself the trip. I bought some wading shoes from cabelas but the soles are realy wide I don't know if they'll work with any fins. Thier not typical boots thier for wading where there are alot of shell and stuff. They were only $35 so I couldn't pass them up.

Thats why I was wondering about not using a shoe but a pair of diving socks with the fins. I was thinking of putting a diving sock over my shoeless waders and then the fins. I did some searches before asking but didn't find the answers I was looking for.
[signature]
You bet you can put diving socks on. That is basically what Tube has been doing for years.
On a different note, I use tube flippers, which are made for the wading boots you have. Like I said, I wear Simms wading shoes, I also have felt sole boot foot hip waders. Both of which I can use my "Tube Flippers" with a monor adjustment for the different boot.
I learned awhile back, the flipper also depends on how you use them.
I use mine as if I am sitting with a child on the top of my foot. I scoop up.
But, I gather the ones that use the scuba fins, put their legs straight out and kick the same as you would swimming. A flutter thing.
So, with that in mind, that might help you also.
But they do make flippers in the $30. range for wading shoe/boot.
[signature]
to save wear and tear on the stocking foot of the waders you would want to use diving socks or booties.. then the fins over those.. thats why I said that you should take the waders with you to fit the booties and the fins (especially since you have a few shops in your area)..

as FG said there are fins made for use with wading boots like you bought.. you may want to check those out as well..

I would think either set up would give you what you want..

the big key here is COMFORT ... you want to be as comfortable as possible ... it will make your day much mor productive if your feet are comfortable..

MacFly
[signature]
Thx for pointing me in the right direction. I was looking at some creekcompany fins but after reading the reviews people were complaining about the straps breaking and fins not fitting. I'm gonna have to get off my arse go see for myself what fits and what I like.

Thx again.
[signature]
I used the creek company fins for several years. They always worked and have held up well. That said this year I moved to diving fins that are flexable. My legs get less tired and I get more movement from the diving fins. I won't be going back.
[signature]
What brand and model fins are you using?

I just found a directory of diving shops in my area I'm gonna hit a couple up tomarrow.

I was looking at diving shoes online and I found some that look like my wading shoes. I just hope I can find some fins that fit them so I don't have to go buy anything esle. I've spent close to $1000 this past month on float tube stuff. I had to buy two of everything so I can take my cousin with me.
[signature]
I have a pair of Mares Plana Avanti X3. Several other members were using them and gave good reports so I ordered a pair. Love them. They aren't all that expensive either. Here is were I got mine from. [url "http://www.divers-supply.com/Mares-Plana-Avanti-X3-Fin-P1446.aspx"]Link[/url]
[signature]
Just a little more info for you. First off, the fins can and will wear out your shoes on top, also I don't think it will be long before FELT SOLES are not allowed, so maybe this can help your decision.

FG
[signature]
I use diving model Force Fins with the open back. I went to Wally World and bought a pair of water/pool side shoes with a semi-hard rubber sole for $5.00. The stocking feet on either my neoprene or breathable waders fit nicely inside those inexpensive water/pool side $5.00 shoes even with 2 pair of socks on inside the stocking feet. Then I put the Force Fins on and buckle the adjustable strap. I also made short lanyards to attach each fin to each leg with one of those small dog leash snaps which I snap to an elastic band around each leg in case the strap on the fin breaks or comes undone. I made the elastic leg bands out of two small bungee cords. Works great and the whole setup is ultra comfortable all day long. Hope this helps. I did buy water shoes that were larger than any normal shoe I might wear for the extra room inside.
[signature]