Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Bass rod advice: HELP Please!!!
I've finally decided to get rid of the old rod/reel combo and move on to something a little nicer for my Bass fishing needs. I don't need anything crazy, just a solid spinning rod for all-around fishing that gets the job done.
After trying out a number of rods and reels, I've decided on the Shimano Compre spinning rod and Pflueger President reel.

Dilemma 1: I'm torn between the M and MH rod... Which do I get? Part of me feels that the MH might be overkill, but at the same time I want the power in case I need it...

Dilemma 2: Which size reel do I get? One holds 175yds. @ 12# while the other holds 120yds. @ 10#... I can easily spool both test strengths onto different spools (it comes with 2), but I'm afraid I may not have enough room for 12# test on the 10# 120yd. spool. I don't think I've ever had a fish take out more than 80yds., but want to be safe if it happens... I also think that spooling nearly 200 yards of 10# onto the larger spool could be overdoing it...
Advice PLEASE!!!
[signature]
I use MH for worming or texas rigs when you use a single hook. M when throwing a crankbait or any lure with multiple treble hooks. M, won't pull the hooks out of the mouth as easily. MH will set that single hook better. I have the President reel on my M rod for cranken. The smaller reel will work fine for most fishing species. Welcome to BFT
[signature]
I think gdn443 hit the nail on the head to be honest with you. Good advice, i don't even have anything to add to this lol.
[signature]
Honestly, 80 yards of line is at least a little bit of an exaggeration. The smaller reel will work fine unless you're planning on using fluorocarbon line, in which case, the larger diameter will eliminate some of the "Slinky" effect that fluoro is plagued by on spinning gear.

As long as you can get 60+ yards of line on there, you're good for long casts and a couple of re-ties or line breaks. All of my reels have about 20% to 40% filled up with cheaper "backing" line and then 60 to 100 yards of premium stuff. This is just done to cut cost a little bit and get two full spools off of a 125 yard package of line.
[signature]