Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stabilizers
Has anyone made stabilizers for their yak or have plans for them? I am to handy and cheap to buy commercial ones and suspect there are others that feel the same way.
I've seen some that use RAM mounts to raise and lower them, but the ram's are to pricey for me. There has to be a cheaper way.
[signature]
I think I've found a solution to the raise and lower problem. Boaters world is going out of buisiness in SLC and they have these Shakesphere antenna mounts for $10 each.
I'm gonna get 2 and see if the thread on them is NPT. If it is there is a threaded 3/4 PVC fitting that should go right on.

1st problem solved, I'll post pics as I go on this project.
[signature]
It would be interesting to see what you come up with. Please feel free to share with us when you come up with a final design.[cool]
[signature]
It looks like I've solved the problem on one end. Now for the problem on the other.
I need to find some pool noodles. Last year I saw 2 sizes, the bigger ones were like 6" across and had about a 1" hole in the middle, that's what I,m looking for. A bit early yet for pool toys, but I'm going to FL for easter, maybe I can find them there before they get to UT for the summer.
[signature]
The final design.
[signature]
absolutely solid design, way to go
[signature]
nice setup...looks like it worked out perfectly for you
[signature]
hi / i built my own stablizers / went to hardware store used flag holders that adjusted / went on rainbow net & rigging site bought the lobster bullet bouys work great / different sizes take your pick / used 1inch pvc pipe all worked great
[signature]
Lets see some pics Smitty. I love backyard engineering!
[signature]
That is a great idea. I got a friend that wants to do the same type of thing with his kayak and not sure where to start. I will show him these pics and see what he thinks.
[signature]
Let me know if he is interested, I have a write up of how I did it and a materials list I could attach to an E-mail for him.
[signature]
He is very interested. PM sent.
[signature]
Sent you an E-mail with the files attached.
Hope it helps, if you need anything else let me know.
[signature]
Got the stuff thanks. I won't see my friend until friday night. I will pass it along then. Thanks for your help!
[signature]
hey guys been on the forum for a few months now and just but first time in the kayak part of this. i have an equinox 10.4 sit in kayak. its the blue one costco has if yall have seen it there. just wondering if this stabilizer would work for that kayak as well. if so id really appreciate maybe a parts list or anything would help really? thanks

heres a pic the dry wells might be in the way but id like to give it a shot
[signature]
sorry guys small pic. im trying to get it bigger
[signature]