Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floro Carbon
Recently I have been exploring ways to improve my catch of Ling Cod, Halibut, Rockfish, & Salmon in the Central California coast area. I currently use 20lb Berkley big game. Using it is like using a very large rubber band to detect bites. In talking to other fisherman, I am spooling up a Hi Vis Braided line. Is the Hi Vis going to be a problem? I am also using Floro Carbon leader. How long should the FC leader be to avoid the braided line being detected? Can this length be shorter is I use a standard gray colored braided line? Any help/comments about the line or other fishing tips would be appreciated. <br><br>
My experience with fluorocarbon is that you use it like any other leader. 18 inches would be all you'd need and that's not set in stone. <br><br>tight lines<br><br>islandhopper
I always use 8 to 12 feet of flourocarbon attached to my braided line. Yes, your catches will increase. Go easy on striking fish and strike drag setting. You don't want to end up with just fish lips [blush]<br><br>Capt. Jeff<br><br>
Just a couple of other thoughts to throw into the ring.<br><br>(a) If you fishing vertically then as Jeff suggests, make your leader long e.g 6 feet mimimum and upwards, on the SoCal species you mentioned.<br><br>Also gives you a decent leader length which makes bringing in your fish easier as well, especially if some are going to be released.<br><br>(b) to increase your leader performance go from your single braided line to a double (by tying a bimini twist or spider hitch) and then either tie on a ball bear swivel with a coast lock snap to the end of the leader or tie the leader direct onto the double using a No-Name Knot (other well known knots can also be used). <br><br>Either way you are set. The BB swivel is only necessary for trolling and/or very deep jigging IMO. <br><br>Burnin Thumbs!<br><br>Steve B <br>Moderator Lures/Baits Forum<br><A HREF="http://www.demonjigs.com" target="_new">http://www.demonjigs.com</A>