Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a drop-shot rod
I am planning on cashing in some of my Cabela's gift certificates and buy a rod to use specifically for drop-shotting. I am set on getting a Shimano Crucial. My question is this, if given the choice between a 6'8" rod and a 7'2" rod, which would you get and why? I should point out that I will be getting a spinning rod. Any input would be appreciated.
--Jim
[signature]
If you're going to be using relatively light line (6-8 lbs) and fishing shallower I'd go with the 6'8". The 7'2" rod would be better for a little heavier line and deeper water. If I had to choose one I'd go with the 6'8". Most of the time that I use a dropshot I'm fishing less than 20' of water and 8lb test fluorocarbon.
[signature]
Jim,

Shoot a PM to doggonefishin about the Kistler DS rods. I know you are set on the Crucials, but Kistler makes an excellent DS rod also. It is a 6'9" and kicked butt up last fall at Strawberry. Cabelas has them on sale and priced the same as the Crucials.

For me, I would worry more about the action than the length. I would evaluate the waters that I would be fishing in (deep/shallow, clean/snaggy bottom) more. Shallow water fishing and clean bottom, I would get the ML action since it would allow me to downsize to a 1/16" weigh without too much of a loss of the bottom feel and use of a lighter line. For Jordanelle, I would get the medium action since I would dropshot in >30 ft and pretty snaggy, thus the need to use a heavier line.

If it comes down to length, I would prefer a 7'2" for boat use and for better fish control.
Thanks to both of you for the information. Now that you mention action, I was wondering about that as well but failed to ask about it. The ML crucial (in both lengths) comes with a fast tip while the M comes with an Extra-fast tip. The ML is rated up to 8 lbs which is likely what I would use, while the M is rated up to 12. How important is the fast tip v/s the extra fast in yall's opinion?
[signature]
I sent you a PM on what make of rod I like...But the action means a lot, first off what do the rod builders mean by fast tip or med fast???

Fast tip means it bends more at the tip and less as you go down to the handle...

I like a longer rod and one that bends all the way to the handle...I use and fish drop shots a lot and the longer the rod the better the hook set and the better you can fight the fish, the bend in the rod is very important as well...
The bend in the rod is what keeps the line tight and helps in the fight of bigger fish and will keep you from braking off fish as much...
And in deep water or shallow water it will help in the hook set as well, the less bend you have the easier for the fish to get slack in the line, so yes as long as you have room to work the longer rod the better..
[signature]
ML can be too light. A medium can be verstile, you can still drop shot. But, u can shakeyhead, texas rig,and split shot(among other things). We tend to drop shot in fairly deep water around so you will probably use heavier weights(like 1/4, 3/8, 1/2).

Personally, I love Kistler rods. I have a ML 7'0 LTA and its too light most of the time. Last year, I started using a GLoomis 7'0 GLX medium. I can drop shot gulp minnows and roboworms easily.

6'8 to 7'0 work well in our deep waters.

[signature]
If you are not set on the Shimano I would say look at the GLoomis DSR822S. It has the extra fast action that works well. I have fished with it and against it and have seen first hand that it produces strikes when others don't.
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies. I may have to look into some other brands, though I also figure that once you start getting into that price range, most all of those rods are probably very good. Has anyone ever had any negative experiences with a Shimano Crucial? Having never used one, I could use some insight. I was mostly basing my brand choice on the good experiences I have had with Shimano saltwater gear, but am really pretty well open to whatever. So far people have suggested Kistler, Fenwick, G Loomis and Shimano either on this posting or by PM. Price-wise they seem to be pretty comparable (the G Loomis a bit more, but still in the ballpark). Also, I have always dropshotted with straight 8 lb. flourocarbon, what do you guys use? Thanks again for the info, this is all very helpful.
[signature]
The one I have is the Kistler 6'9" magnesium TS (ML). I have found it to be outstanding for what I do. It is quite sensitive, but delivers quite a lot of power for hooksets and for fighting big fish. I tend to fish in a bit shallower water than Tome and some others so I don't usually need to use heavy weights with it. I do use something different for most of my split shot and texas rig fishing, although it has been adequate for that too. It proved to be very good up at the 'Berry vertically jigging cutts also.

What you may want to do is go to Cabelas and handle several of the suggested rods. See which one feels best FOR YOU and get that one. It sounds like you are in the ballpark cost wise to get a decent rod regardless of what you pick.

For jigging/dropshotting line, I use P-line flouroclear (flourocarbon coated coploymer). All of the benefits of straight flouro, but it handles and casts much better. (costs less too)
[signature]
I have the 6'8" M action Crucial. It fishes well, even in fairly deep water. Only compalint I have is the hook keeper. It kept getting bent up. So I ended up chopping it off with a pair of dikes. I'll have to tie in another one of these days. My buddy has a DS rod by Powell. He loves it as well.
[signature]
I throw 8lb P-Line Florocarbon on a DSR822C for drop shooting and shakey head fishing. I have also used the Rogue 704S but prefer hands down the GLoomis. I do prefer casting over spinning rigs, but that is a personnel preference not to say one is better than the other.
[signature]
I love the Crucial but have only had experience with this rod. Its super light and strong but the cut out for the grip makes it so you can feel everything. If I had more money I would get the Loomis GLX or GL3. Loomis rods are freaking amazing but Shimano is not far behind IMHO. Good luck!! and Post some pics of the big bass you pull this summer!!!
[signature]
Another vote for G. Loomis. I use the GLX rods and really like them, especially when combined with Shimano reels. One warning, once you start using high-end rods it's hard to go back. It can get expensive real quick.
[signature]
I have the Shimano Crucial 7' 2" Medium Power/Xtra Fast. It is not the Drop Shot series but has the identical specs. The rod has a soft tip and just the right amount of backbone for larger fish. I also use if for fall Strawberry cutts. I used to believe is having rods for specific jobs but now I am all about versatility.

HockeyMan
[signature]
I use 6 lb line Andy on spinning and 10 to 14 lb on bait cast rods for drop shot...

You don't want a fast tip, you can lose fish some times..The reel needs to be as fast as you can find in the brand you want...For weights I go with 1/4 oz when the wind isn't blowing much but if I can't fell the bottom I go to 3/8 or 1/2 oz at times, not cause of deep water but you need to fell the bottom at all times when drop shotting...
If I can I don't use weedless type hooks or go weedless...
[signature]
eBay. I've got some great rods for very good prices.

6 or 8 lb flourocarbon(invisible).

The Kistler magniesum TS(terribly sexy) is a nice rod. Mine is a 6'9 mh baitcaster.

My drop shot rods are:
Kistler 7'0 ml LTA
Loomis 7'0 m glx poppin rod
Powell 7'0 m 703 Max

[signature]
First things first if its not a Fly Rod its just a pole.
I would go with 6"8 because when I pulls enough line when your deep or shallow and it fits in most lockers on boats Ive fished in to many boats were the locker will supposedly fit a 7 foot pole and thats if your lucky let alone a 7foot plus.
Now if your only going to be fishing on your boat then fine go for the longer pole.
But I fish on many a friends boat so I keep my rods a little shorter I own a couple 7 plus but they stay in my boat.
Well good luck
[signature]