Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake
Plan on taking my dad out to Bear Lake to hopefully hook into a couple nice cutts. Is anyone willing to share a hotspot during this time of year? I know the majority of the fish are on there way to the spawn and some of my old hot spots are now off limits. I don't plan on keeping anything. Would just like my Dad to finally get a picture holding a 5 pounder for Fathers day.

Thanks in advance,

Tightline
[signature]
In the Xplore section of the Standard-Examiner, today's fishing report says,"Bear lake, early morrning best. Fishing is good on east side from First Point north to the South Eden delta.Try trolling in shallow water(10 to 25 feet deep), but temperature is still low enough that fish can be found anywhere in the water column.Big cutthroats, up to 8 pounds, have been reported between the Bear lake state park marina and Swan creek. But don't fish in the closed area marked with buoys at the mouth of Swan creek. Use Rapalas, silver spoons, white or pearl tube jigs, 1/2 to 3/4 ounce, tipped with cisco." Sorry I don't have a report myself but I hope this helps, good luck. WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the info WH. Any of you guys ever tried it at night during this time of the year. I know it works on the Cutts in the shallows at the Berry?

Tightline
[signature]
Bear Lake Report- [unimpressed]

I was up there this past weekend and probably got in 2-3 hours of fishing in the early mornings. I fished out of a canoe around first point and second point, and off the shore at cisco beach. Biggest fish landed was a beauty, could have easily gone 8 pounds, only problem was that it was a carp! Overall I had a really hard time hooking up with anything besides carp. I had one cutt on that I got up to the side of the canoe but it got off. This was my first time fishing there and from what I have seen it is a very technical water. If you do hook up with anything though, it will be BIG. I was using Big spoons, Crocidiles, and #5 panther martins. If you have a boat, the state park marina would be the best place to launch since the lake is so low. The east side boat ramp looked questionable and if you decided to launch there you would need 4-wheel drive. Best of luck to you.
[signature]