Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to access Jordanelle...
I don't own a boat, and last year I tried to take my kids fishing there, but drove all the way around the lake twice trying to find any walk in access points. Other than the two State Park areas, I could not find one. No pull-outs, paths, roads, or ATV trails at all, and most of the land around the lake is posted "No Tresspassing". I wouldn't even mind if I could drive a couple hundred yards off the highway and hike down, but I couldn't even find one place that looked legal. The only roads belonged to the rich-guy developments where they are putting houses in and actually had a rent-a-cop keeping people from using their road.

We finally drove up Daniels Canyon, car camped, and hopped the only section of fence I could find with out a sign on it, but still had a long walk to the water for an 8 year old girl.

So, where are the walk in access points at Jordanelle? Don't tell me the State put in ANOTHER public facility, locked up buy rich guys...
[signature]
rockport or east canyon have better walk in access or if you go often enough by a season pass and use the state parks.
[signature]
Actually, it is the state park that owns most of the shoreline at Jordonelle, not the rich guys. You can drive practically right up to the water as long as you pay the fee. For less than $10 you can fish thousands of feet of shoreline. If you fish Hailstone in the morning you can fish Rock Cliffs in the afternoon and not have to pay again.
There is also some limited acess on the very north end. In the oriional plan this was supposed to be more developed and maintained as a free access point, but that seems to have never have happened. Instead there is a side road with a gate that may be closed that leads to a dirt road that goes to the lake where there is a short dock. It is shallow and windblown most of the time.

As far as paying goes, when you pay to use a state park you also get, a clean restroom, a picnic area with grills, shade and tables and you will not be molested by any land owners within the park.
I get the annual pass. It costs $75 with 5 off if you show your fishing licence, for a whole year. if you buy the first few days of any month you get almost 13 months, that's like $5.50 a month dues to belong to Club Utah.
It gives me unlimited day use at any state park in UT. Bear lake, Hyrum, Willard, East Canyon, Rockport, Jordonelle, Deer Creek, Utah Lake, Yuba and lots of others. I can stop in just to use the restroom, or for a full day, have a picnic, maybe swim. Utah state parks are pretty good at making sure we have access to many of our lakes, you just have to pay to play.
[signature]
Where do I go to get a state park pass???
[signature]
They have them right there at the booth. At all of the state parks. Including Huntington, Piaute, Quail Creek, Sand Hollow, Red fleet and Starvation and all those I mentioned above.
[signature]
Make sure you get the pass for ALL the parks.
[quote BigBassaholic]Where do I go to get a state park pass???[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]How about using your computer? Here's the web site to get it online: [/size][/#800000][/font][url "https://secure.utah.gov/parkspass/permit.html"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]https://secure.utah.gov/parkspass/permit.html[/size][/#800000][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4].[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks for the replies, but I already knew about the State Park, and that wasn't what I was asking. That was mentioned in the post.

Walk-in access from the parks is terrible, done it, hated it, with kids.

And, once gas is paid for and all, 15.00 literally IS the difference between going fishing and not being able to afford it. Having to pay the 15.00 kills the trip before it is started.. A year pass would be worth it, but I never know if I am going to get out much. Forking out that kind of money and only using it twice would be upsetting.

So, am I to understand that I was right, and there isn't any real access? Nobody else got a hint.
[signature]
You are correct - there are no public access points into Jordanelle that I am aware of, other than the State Parks. There is a hiking/horse trail around 50% of the reservoir & there use to be access north of the main state park; I am not sure if this has been fenced off or not. However, it doesn't matter because State Parks wants their fee whether you walk in or drive in anywhere on the reservoir.

If the 15 bucks would ruin your day, then a citation for hiking in and not paying their fee would definitely devastate your day. Sorry!
[signature]
I have hiked in the very north east corner. It's been two summers ago but I did it a few times. I caught smallmouth and trout. You have to take the Kamas exit coming south from I-80 and then on the right I think is the old highway and it just dead ends at a fence, this is where I parked and hiked down to the water(for free). I may be different now but I would be surprised. Also I've fished just north of the Hailstone marina like OCF said. You get off the exit for Hailstone and take a left before the park and ride it over a few bays and the hike a hundred or so yards to the water, this also was a couple years ago.
[signature]
Jordanell Access is just another example of how the State Parks of Utah are trying to monoplise all the lakes in Utah for they'er profit!! yuba, starvation, Jordanelle, are just the start of it.. and if the fishermen of Utah keep letting them do it! it will not be long befor there will be no non-fee waters in the state.. all they want is your money for nothing.
[signature]
Maybe some of the community ponds would be a better place for you to fish with your children. Have you ever been to any of the community ponds?
Where do you live? Maybe there is one close to you.

They are always free, they are located close to or in cities and they are stocked about every 2 or 3 weeks all spring, summer and fall. Many also have natural populations of bass and bluegill in addition to the stocked trout and catfish.
[url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/cf/2008_book.pdf"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/cf/2008_book.pdf[/url]

Some are not very solitude or have much wild apeal, but on the flip side, those have restrooms and playgrounds that the kids can play on if the fishing is no good. Most have some kind of dock or pier others are small and offer only a couple of spots to toss between the moss, some have picnic areas and pavilians with grills and still others you are allowed to boat on. It's all in the phamphlet I linked to above.
You should start with the one that's closest to you and work your way outward till you find the one with the mix you like. It will be way less than $15 in gas, no entry fee and with the stocking you are likely to catch something. I don't care for the 9 to 11" fin-less variety of trout they stock, but the standard 17" catfish they put in all summer are a lot of fun after work or on an afternoon. They put up a hard fight for most kids. I appreceate a few catfish dinners a year that I know are fresh.
[signature]
Fish-or-die is correct,the two areas he indicated are access points to the lake. As long as you don't mind walking a little, either spot had access last year. If you have never been to either spot, it might take some looking to find them but they are there. The area by the hailstone exit is closer to the water but harder to find. The area at the north end of the lake is easier to find but a little farther to walk. Try looking at the area with google earth, it should show you a clear picture of both spots. Neither area has restrooms though and if that is a something you need with younger kids then you are out of luck[:/]. WH2
[signature]
Hey Fuzzy,
How is it going?
I totally agree with you on this one ( Just another money making Machine ) so they can tell us what where and when,
And the worst part is, we are letting them.[crazy]
Total control of the people and they just keep passing
law after law and we the people keep saying OKAY!!!![mad]
[signature]
Thanks, guys. Paying for access irks me, although I am willing if there is enough reason. We did fish from the State park once last year, the west side, and caught 200 three inch perch, even after walking around the bend to the south for more than a mile. As you close in on the dam, you are stopped, period.

My 8 y/o daughter is a crazy fisher-girl and really likes to go all the time. But seriously, after shaking 30.00 loose from the budget for gas and a McDonald's stop, that is often all I can spare for the weekend.

Sorry, but I'm NOT all that interested in the community pondprograms. I live right near Bountiful Lake and the place just depresses me. I'm trying to raise kids with an appreciation for wild places and a mud-puddle next to the dump where you can hear the cops shooting at their training range and the only wildlife to view is domestic geese?.... well, nice try DWR. They serve a purpose, and we have fished there, and we have caught a few, and I'm glad they are there for people, esp. kids right in the neighborhoods, but just isn't what I'm after.

The other time at Jordanelle, when we just hiked in, we came home with a nice stringer of perch and smaller bass, and ate fish for dinner. We also layed into a couple of 14-17" smallies and took her picture with the "big fish"
she caught. At the state park, she tired of catching the perchlets and threw rocks instead. See?

What really annoys me is that even if I'm willing to do the work, I can't access certain places, UNLESS I have a motorboat, then it's OK. KInda like the BS about how I can't drive my Sidekick on certain mountain roads, but ATV's are OK. That's discriminatory and senseless.

It's an hour drive, and full of good eating fish, just right for a kid, so it would be great if I could make it one of my favorite places, but I guess not.
[signature]
It doesn't sound like it is. Have you tried Holmes Creek? It is a lile nicer than Bountiful. More of a wooded setting and no gun range. You could also start hitting East Canyon, they don't charge a fee yet for access to most of the east side and fishing is not far from the road, there is Lost Canyon up that way too. Both have some good fishing and both are closer to B'ful than Jordanelle. Pineview also has several no fee, walk in, access places and there are plenty of panfish to keep a kid happy.

Outside of that, I don't know what else to suggest. I fish, I'm not very picky about where, when or with whom. I try not to set my expectations very high and I am seldom disapointed.
[signature]
Yep, what you said..
[signature]
Do you know whether or not bicycles are allowed on the trail around Jordanelle?
[signature]
Yes those access points were there im not sure if they are still.but i will tell you that once i was anchored in that
bay by the hailstone access and i was enjoying a beverage when the police boat came right up on me
i thought they were going to hassle me but instead they went right over to the shore were people were fishing on the bank i was watching threw the glasses they started hasleing all those people there soos anyway if your fishing in these areas you are more likly to get a visit make sure you hav your licence with you.
[signature]
At some of the shore walk in spots there have been some that take more then the limit and some with no license and taking bass over 12"....And many are getting caught...
[signature]