Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stubborn bass :(
Ok so i'm going to fish this lake tomarrow and i've been there before. Bass just will not go for lures or atleast from what i've herd they won't and personal experience. Ive pulled a 4.5 pounder out of there using a smaller catch as bait but that took the entire day to land that bass.

Now i haven't went all out using lures all day long, but have any of you ever fished somewhere when the bass wouldn't take lures if they were handed to them on a silver platter?? maybe i haven't fished it enough but the residents say they usually catch the smaller bluegills and use them as bait to get bass out. I'm wanting to throw a spinnerbait out there and maybe some kinamis and see if i can't get something out of them.

They'res plenty in there i know it and very good size. They're just so stubborn! ADVICE PLEASE!
[signature]
That can be very frustrating. Been there more than once.
I played with a large bass at one of the local reservoirs last summer for 3 days. It would sit in a really specific spot under a bush in about 2 feet of water, and was particular to a certain color weightless Senko and a very specific presentation. I hooked him up 4 times, and then he'd immediately rocket down to about 20 feet of water and then get tangled up in the branches and break me off. He'd pull the 10# drag like nobody's business on the way down and I just couldn't turn him. So, I figured I'd try heavier line and a heavier rod. Problem was, the fish wouldn't touch the bait with anything heavier than 8# flourocarbon. I'd go back to the original setup and then repeat. Frustrating, but fun.

Anyway, you basically have to make them decide to feed, or find a way to make them mad. I'd try really small baits, really big baits, and all sizes & colors in between. If the lake gets a lot of pressure, maybe try something unusual that you don't see people throw in that water a lot, like maybe a big swimbait, (I'm guessing because I don't know where you are fishing). If they are spawning or getting ready to, maybe try a lizard or salamander looking plastic. Try different depths, maybe try as light of a line as you can get away with. Maybe try burning a crank bait, or slowly twitching a top water lure, or drop shotting a hula grub, etc. If all else fails and it's legal, try the live bait thing. Good luck though!
[signature]
If people are catching bass using bluegills, check out some of the strikeking prodcuts. They have some sweet spinnerbaits and jigs in a bluegill color that I have had a lot of luck on.
[signature]
There's lots of good advice posted already.

Where are you fishing? What is the water temp? Here in Pennsylvania, the water is 42 to 46 degrees and the bass are still sluggish and not really actively feeding. If that's the case where you're at, I recommend throwing small baits with a molasses retrieve. Everything I've caught thus far this season has been on a very thin tailed shaky head worm or a spider jig, both very small finesse baits. These bass won't touch anything with trebles yet.

If you're in warmer territory and the bass there like gobbling 'gills, then order yourself a Jackall Giron swimbait. Google it or go to tacklewarehouse.com. Its still too cold to use them here, but they are the most realistic bluegill bait you will ever see.
[signature]
I was catching lots of bass last month at a local pond using wacky rigged bream colored worms. This month they have turn off to that completely. I caught a half pounder at the same pond this morning.

I changed up my approach and went with purple fire tail worm BIG and got about 5 that where over 8lbs, mostly females on the bed.

It's spawn time now and things they are changing so you have to change up your approach on the bass. Piss them off ... Large plastics and any bait that will make the mrs. get the bait out of her bed, and remember the female bass isn't going to strike your bait but pick it up and move it out of the bed. Once the spawn is over the male will defend and he will hit hard if you even get near him.

Hope that helps. During this spawn period it's hit and miss. Good luck
[signature]
yeah if the waters in the 50s or lower
try throwing a rattle trap in a red/craw color.
usually my first spring bass of the year comes on a rattle trap
[signature]
Just so ya know, that same pond that I was catching 5lb+ on wacky motor oil rigged worms a month ago is now producing 2 - 5lb bass on a mini ( 1 inch ) tennessee shad shallow diving crank bait reeled a couple times fast then letting it float to almost the surface then a couple quick cranks again.

So that goes to show that as the seasons change the bass habits change as well. I am very optimistic that I will bring a 10lb+ bass out of that pond this summer with a giant buzz bait or large Jig n Pig.

Good bassin' to ya all. Remember it's spring approaching summer and the bass they are fickle as hell right now. hehe.
[signature]
Just on a note. It took me two days fishing to find out they now hitting that tennesee shad shallow crank bait. Yestday I caught nothing and went through almost everyting in my box and fished all day.

I was at wal-mart last night and bought that lure because it was on sale. And well you read the last post. I produced the bass today at that pond, I caught 5 bass from 1 to 2lbs right off on it.

yesterday was a great day outdoors but I didn't even get a strike on any lures that have produced at that pond all winter and early spring.
[signature]
ooo wow nice advice unfortunatly im broke as a joke right now so i can't buy any of the baits you fine gentlemen listed haha.

But i think im fishing that lake again tomarrow so i'll have to use my arsenal of 2 spinnerbaits again tomarrow since plastics are still not going good for me..is it because i forgot how to texas rig(don't judge) or i just don't know how to fish them i don't know. Youtube may come in handy for that later. If you read my other post about my monsterous bass i pulled out (orDECENT for you pros [:p]) those two bass didn't seem to lazy at alllll. the first one i pulled out was that 3 pounder and that was first cast from switching spots. The 4.4 pounder came 8-10 mins later. After those two....nothing...it was a wierd ye proud day.

Thanks for the help guys much appeciated.
[signature]
dude, you can use a bait and reel it fast ... no results... reel it slow no results..... reel it down a few times let it float.... no results

reel it fast as hell and get a strike

the point im trying to make is that even ONE lure has many presentations to the bass and you might have a great sunny day with no strikes and you might learn that spot you are fishing at.

try many presentations, this is spring and the bass are nuts right now. in the summer they are so predictable.... mid day topwaters and deep...

morning (sunrise) buzzbait and rapaila broken back minnow... hehe

you will learn and become a good bass fisherman. especially if you keep reading these forums
[signature]
[url "../../../cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=BassinBEAST"]BassinBEAST[/url] i fyou are going to use spinner baits...

if the water is clear use Chartreuse... clear. ( yes there are clear spinner baits and you should look into that) ...

if its dirty but not dark... use the natural colors of the vegitation...

green ... yellow etc..

if its dirty water use BLACK /WHITE...

if its dirty let the spinner bait go all the way to the bottom...

let it sit like you would a worm... count to 20 at least...

then raise your rod tip like a worm and reel for about 10 turns then let it sink.

try that at first if no hits..

let it sink to bottom then real as slow as possible and make sure the blades are turning...

no hits?

find the depth...

cast and and let it sink to bottom ... count the seconds til it settles

then the next cast start reeling two counts before that ..

next cast four seconds get it?

its not that hard to find the bass and get them to hit.

but once you find their depth and what hey are hitting its on!

You can see I know my shit ... if you want more advice private message me..
[signature]