Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle Fun
A good friend and I headed to Jordanelle this morning, we could only fish till 11:00..

We got there at 7:30 and was on the water by 7:45 air temp was 32 and water was 37.7 and no wind...

Jerry and I headed for a spot that has ben good to us in the past, on my first cast I got a rainbow about 17" to 18" then we fished for 1/2 hour with out a bite...

At the next stop Jerry pointed out some minnows jumping out of the water so we headed that way, Jerry got his first fish of the morning a nice brown at 25 1/4" then another brown at 22" we moved around some and I picked up 2 more bows and one bass at 15"...

We worked other spots but had to leave at 10:30...The wind was just starting up as we was loading the boat...

All but two bows was released and all fish was on the drop shot...

I did take a couple of pictures that I will try to get posted...
[signature]
[cool]I hope you got a pic of those browns. That would be cool to see...
[signature]
Good job Cliff,
So I didn't catch all the browns [Wink]
Cliff was you warring your life vest, that water is still pretty cold [sly][sly][Wink]
[signature]
Yes I got a picture of each brown...
[signature]
The water at Jordanelle is lots warmer then Yuba was...

The 25" brown was a hook jaw male, but kind of snake....
[signature]
Thanks TD for posting them for me, if you look in the first picture you can see some of the new ice that was around in spots on the lake...
[signature]
All of them that we caught last fall and winter was snakes the ones in the upper 20's had no weight to them at all ?
They are starting to look like the cutts at the berry all heads and skinny as all heck ? [crazy]
Hopefully they will start gaining some weight this spring [Wink]
[signature]
Until the Perch come back up there I think they will stay skinny...
[signature]
Thats the same old ice BR. Been on the camera everyday drooling and noticed that it had piled up over there on that side and still has not melted. Must not get much sun there!!! Thanks for the pix, those are some nice looking browns. Hope I can catch one of those imfamous unphotographed 33" Browns out of there this year!!!
TS
[signature]
I shore hope there are some perch left in there after tubedude got done ice fishing there this last winter Ha,Ha

It sure don't look like they are eatting to good dose it ??????[crazy]
[signature]
[quote Hooter_Patrol]I shore hope there are some perch left in there after tubedude got done ice fishing there this last winter Ha,Ha

It sure don't look like they are eatting to good dose it ??????[crazy][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]The perch population in Jordanelle has been way down for almost 3 years. I got in one decent perch jerkin' trip two winters ago, but based on poor results from other ice tanglers this past winter I only hit the lake once...and got my only skunk in years.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are still enough perch to get off a spawn each year, and to provide a bunch of baby perch for the predators. But, fewer and fewer of the perch fry are surviving to adult status. The big browns especially key in on the young perch, and can easily munch the five or six inch two year perch. Rainbows and other perch usually only feed on the young of the year perch...which are about 2" long after their first winter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Chubs were once a major problem in Jordanelle too...at least for anglers. These days that lake is getting to be like Starvation. The predators slurp up all of the small hatchlings and there are not many new chubs in the lake. The adults keep growing bigger and older...some up to 15"...but they cannot produce enough young to repopulate the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not only are the browns becoming "hammer handles"...from less abundant food...but the smallmouth have shown the effects too. Three years ago it was common to have several smallies over 4# show up in a day of fishing...with a few much larger ones caught through the year. This last year there were not many over 3# caught by anybody. It takes plenty of food to grow big fish. And, with the C&R restrictions on Jordanelle, you cannot argue overharvest...even though there are lots of violators who keep bass over 12". But, not enough of the larger bass leave the lake to make the kind of difference that we have seen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So...don't blame it on me. I get enough blame at home for things not related to fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
No its not TD cause he can't catch them any how...[Wink]

Two many people when they catch a chub will kill it, when what they should do is put it back so the other fish have more to eat....
[signature]
Just giving you a bad time tudedude I know you didn't catch any the last time you was up there [Wink]

That is why we have limits on trout and other fish, that is the reason why we have to harvest a few fish , common cents tells us that.

If you have an aquarium with 2 or 3 fish in it they grow alot bigger on less food, but as soon as you add 100 fish to the tank it takes alot more food and the fish don't grow as big, The lakes are the same way, with only X amount of food and when the food source is way down
and you have all the fish feeding on what is left then this is what you get. It would be like the Richard Simmons work out, In stead off just laying around getting fat
they are using all there energy chasing what they can find to feed on. there for getting skinny or like we say turning into snakes [crazy]
[signature]