Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
forcast for grand rapids
you can correct me if I am wrong, Rumor has it that when suckers make their runs up the grand they spook the crome out. True or False?

My dad says when the syrous trees are in bloom the suckers will be in the rivers... if this being the case, well guys, today the bloom started. I sugest you get your fill of steelies in.... you can expect that some time in the next couple days the suckers will start showing up on the grand...
[signature]
ive found the reverse to be true steelhead have teath and suckers know it....if the stellies are spawning on a bed the suckers wont go there as soon as the steelhead leaves the bed then theyl go on this gravel..
[signature]
So that would still mean the same, Just for different reasons. Suckers run is after the stealies, and since they are comming up, it wont be long before the stealies are gone [crazy]

Yours sounds more logical... Thanks for the clarification. [cool]
[signature]
the suckers aint here yet at least not thick and there not spawning i got 1 2 days ago..still alot of steelhead in the river..i still got a good 2 to 3 weeks to harass the steelhead...
[signature]
I caught 2 suckers this afternoon.

only about 10 inches, each, I wanted a little bigger, I like them to be at least 14 inches before I keep them.

sun was hot today, they may have went for a hide, I will try again when we get a little more cloud cover in the next couple days. I saw a 4 pounder in my hole fryday, when I got there today it looked like some one was already fishing there...

how is the syrup running?
[signature]
yea i know..im getting the little ones to cant remember the name of them but they always show up first,,,did get 1 blackhorse.about 16 thank god the steelhead still outnumber the suckers..
[signature]
I dont know about your side, but over here the white horse are the first to run, they are the big ones. reaching in excess of 20 pounds.

"I have never seen one that big, but I did catch an 8+ pounder a couple years back and took second place for the biggest of the year" it was the biggest sucker I had ever seen, thought I had a state record, I put it on a stirnger and ran streight up to the dnr office for confermation...[blush] then all I had to do is go get a weight ticket.[cool]

funny thing is, had I released it back in to the river where I caught it, I would have taken first place for the biggest of the year, the one that beet me only won by a fraction of an ounce, mine was longer for both catigories. [cool]

[center]
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1359/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: White_Sucker.JPG][/url]
[signature]
i think there actualy is a difference in timing of the runs between lake huron and lake michigan??
[signature]
I dont think it is a timing differance so much as it is a watter tempreture differance.

Each species to its own.

I think the melt offs and spring rains have a lot to do with food supply and raising water temps. so I too think one side could deffenantly run a week or two ahead of the other.

I have often wondered if the moon had something to do with it as well, but I have gathered no consice evedance to prove one way or the other. Some years I have seen them a month before easter to a couple weeks past easter... this year I see them on easter... [Smile]
[signature]