Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
possible rev limiter problem (help)
Suzuki 115 2 stroke oil injected 1996 rev limiter problem

I'm not sure if I have a rev limiter problem or if I don't. I have a problem that is for sure. If I run full throddle for a while the motor bogs down like the rev limiter has engaged. I don't have to reset anything so don't know if it's that or another problem. I bought the boat used and took it out for a ride with my mechanic, it did the same thing. My mechanic was sure it was the rev limiter as he's been the mechanic on this boat since it was new and it's not had any problems he was certain it was the impellar needing to be replaced as it wasn't spitting as much water as he felt it should. I replaced that last year. Honestly I never ran the boat wide open for any amount of time after that so there was never a problem, I'm a fisherman, I run to where I fish then fire up the kicker motor. The motor litterally looks brand new inside the cover and out. I've got to take it back to the mechanic, I don't know if he's going to know what the problem is. I'm hoping someone here may have had a similar experience and knows what the answer is. There is a tattle tale light that comes on very briefly then goes off, it's not the temp light, it's like a circle with a square top on the circle (if that makes sense? Like a snowman head with a short top hat). Any insight would be appreciated. Great boat, motor looks like new, really don't want to keep dumping money into it like I have since I bought it. Two happiest days I'm starting to agree with, day you buy and the day you sell.
[signature]
You never mentioned who your "mechanic" was? If its a marine business, then I think we'd all like to know who we need to avoid! As stated here many, many, countless times before, take a drive up to Hyrum and take it to Lee's marine. He is honest and will let you know what the problem is, plus he is qualified to fix it. Seems like some of these other shops just hire mechanics who know a little bit about outboards, then turns them loose. Half the time they get it right, the other half the time it seems like everyone ends up going up to Lee's so he can really repair all their problems. Why pay twice to get something fixed when you can get it done right the FIRST time.
[signature]
I have known this guy for a few years and he's who put me on to the boat. I'm not implying he's a crook or incompitent because he's always treated me fairly. I'm not putting his name out here now especially because it seems I've portrayed him in a worse light then what I wanted too. I was a little pissed still when i typed the initial email. I don't like having to have things fixed twice nor does anyone.

He's reapaired very old outboards for me at very reasonable prices and done a good job with them. I thought it was the impellar as well as it wasn't pissing out like it did when he replaced it. I believe that wasn't the problem, although the impellar did need to be replaced as it would have gone out soon, after we pulled it out of the outboard that was obvious. Everyone makes a mistake. Yes it pissed me off but as I said, I would rather replace the impellar before it was totally in pieces then down at lake powell.

Like any mechanic he charges me by the hour. That's why I posted it, this does seem like a somewhat complex issue and if anyone else has had this issue it would be really nice to have an idea when I bring it down to him. As it is now, I'm going to have to put him in my boat on a lake. I've been sick for four days now and it's killing me to not be on the water fishing instead of the lazy boy caughing my lungs out. If he doesn't fix it right this time, I will run it to Lee's or somewhere else. Every mechanic I've ever dealt with has made mistakes which have cost me money. None of them are perfect. I know this guy isn't going to screw me financially which says a lot for a mechanic. Wish I had a car mechanic I could say the same thing about.
[signature]
Lee's will not work on a Suzuki OB motor. I haven't gotten my boat in to be looked at so was all for anyone I can get, especially someone who was recomended as highly as Lee's. I supposedly am getting it in on Monday or Tuesday. We'll see, if not I've got to get to Colorado again for work so will pull the boat when I go as there are three dealers there who sell Suzuki so I can only assume they work on them. Obvioulsy I'd call first.
[signature]
Just came across your post. Any luck since you last posted? Found a post on iboats.com that you may be interested in...sounds like others have had similar problems. Check it out:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=138884
[signature]
No I haven't been able to get it fixed. Thank you for the link. I am pretty sure the solution for the problem on iboats is the same solution for me. change the oil filter and the oil. My boat sat for a few years before I bought it so I am pretty sure the oil gooped up and is restricting flow to the oil pump. Looks like a very easy fix but I can't get a mechanic in town to touch it. I am not mechanically enclined at all but have a neighbor who is so we may tear into it this week. There is only one guy in the state of UT that I can find who will work on a Suzuki motor and he's very difficult to get pinned down. I've been trying to get it into him for weeks. If anyone reads this post and are looking at buying a boat with a Suzuki motor on it don't do it in UT! Sooner or later you'll need someone to work on it and you'll be driving the boat to CO as I'm going to probably have to do. I'm extremely frustrated to not be able to take it out in the foreseeable future.
[signature]
Hey Rob, I don't know if you have seen this post or not but it might help you solve your problem. Here is a link to that post.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=488201;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=488201;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]
The guy that Steve is talking about on that thread changes oil on his moble service. If nothing else, you can at least give him a call and find out if he will change the oil in your suzuki and if that is the problem it will save you a trip to Co. His phone number is listed in the thread. Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip. I just got ahold of a guy today who said he thinks he can do it this afternoon. I'm hoping he doesn't flake on me. I'm ready to pre mix the whold gas tank and just run it. Rev limiter will still go off I know which has prevented me from doing this already. If a new motor didn't cost as much as a house I'd just buy a new 4 stroke.
[signature]
Remember to use a good additive in your oil to keep it from becoming so sticky and if you double the amount of additive that might help free up your rev limiter. This is just my opinion, I'm not a mechanic. There are several two stroke oil additives on the market but I have had good luck with Sea Foam.
[signature]
Don't you love the whole boat ownership thing? LOL.
I have an old Hallett & I can do most of the work myself, but finding parts is sometimes a nightmare, and in the occasions where I have to take it to a mechanic...I may as well just give him a blank check.
But, it beats sitting on the bank, right? [Smile]
The oil change shouldn't be too much of a problem. Have you looked online for instructions for that particular motor?
This site looks like it has quite a bit of info on Suzuki outboards: http://store.brownspoint.com/dt115.asp
[signature]
Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at it. I can't imagine what needs to be done is too difficult so may talk my neighbor into drinking some beers and tearing into it tonight. I've not made appointments for two days waiting for my mechanic to call me to bring it to him. Missing work is costing me more then the repair will.
[signature]