Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shaky Head Jigs
After hearing a lot about them here, and seeing the video posted in Martini78's Tourney thread, I am going to give it a shot. However, I can't find the type of worms for it. Can I get some brand names and types of worms to effectively fish the shaky head?
[signature]
You can essentially fish any plastic worm or jig or hula grub with a shaky head jig. I'm partial to Yamamoto baits (senkos & hula grubs in the 4 - 6" length)
However, there are hundreds of varieties out there. Check out basspro or Cabelas or Tackle Warehouse.
[signature]
The instructional video recommended "floating" worms, worms with a flat side or something...but if you can essentially do any worm, I just need to get some bigger jigheads. I have some green pumpkin see flukes, maybe they'll work.
[signature]
Catatafish is correct that you can use other baits other than a worm. I tried shakin the worm on the bottom this past weekend. Nada, senco on top turned them on. Remember it's just another tool to try. Try the fluke weightless and let it sink to the bottom. Work it as a shaky head.
[signature]
Gonna do that...I'm gonna look for a senco real fast here in a few before work.
[signature]
I was introduced to the shaky head jigging technique by a guide I booked on Lake Okeechobee in March of '08. They worked OK, but nothing spectacular, so I ended up switching to weightless and / or Texas rigged Senkos & Hula Grub that I use here in UT (I brought some of my own tackle), and I proceeded to whack them for a few hours. After that, they only wanted spinner baits. First thing in the morning, they only wanted live shad. I guess my point is that you never know what they'll want at a given time. I've seen them be all over a certain bait for hours, then completely turn off. Simply switching to the same bait in a different color, then they are back again. I've also seen them shut their mouths and not take anything I have to throw at them, which is a considerable selection.
Unfortunately, there is no magic bait. Just pick out a decent selection and start experimenting. Senko type baits are a great way to start in my opinion. Relatively inexpensive, if you rig them weedless they are pretty hard to snag up, and you can really fish them in a number of different ways. They are one of my "go to" baits and it's rare to not have one tied up to one of my rods.
[signature]
As far as the comparason between shaky head and Senko fishing, you're looking at apples and oranges. Senkos are going to catch boat loads of fish that are generally associated with shoreline structure and shallow weedy areas. Shaky head is most effective when its hard to get a bite. For instance, right now in Northeast PA, you won't get a hit on a weightless Senko because the fish are holding in 8 to 12 feet of water, moving shallower only when its really sunny. Since the fish aren't actively feeding, a small finesse bait like a slim worm on a shaky jig is a great weapon.

If you want to try shaky head fishing for less than $10, go to www.tacklewarehouse.com and order a package of 1/4 oz Picasso shaky jig heads and a pack of Reaction Innovations Flirt worms. You definately want a worm that floats or at least has a light and buoyant tail section. Berkley Power Shaky worms are also decent.
[signature]
I am taking notes man. Writing this stuff down and I'm looking. I think maybe the sencos will work in the pond i'm fishing, because I cast mainly to the opposite shores, but hell, I'll try just about anything. It's been more than a month since I've caught a bass. I'd even settle for one of those tiny ones right now...

I don't fish as much, however, because the bridge going to the pond is always swarmed with wasps, and I have a profound fear of wasps. I don't know what I'll do.
[signature]
get a 5 gallon bucket and pour a bottle of dawn dish soap in it the put some water but not alot and dump it on the wasp nest and that will take care of that problem
[signature]
Two of the best worms i've used are the chompers shakey worms and the zoom tricktail is awesome.
[signature]
For the wasps, I got some Spray, and I sprayed really well where I thought the nest might be. The others just kinda fly around the top of the bridge, and then kinda charge me when I try to go down.

Now, for the shaky head fishing. I love it. Only caught 2 fish, but I am very proud of them, especially the first one, a White Crappie. Weighed in just shy of a pound and a half, and was I guess around 15-18". My hand actually got tired from holding it, that's how big it was. I could feel the fish bumping the pontoons on the pier, and I remember reading several times and also seeing on here that bass like structure, so I dropped the 5" green pumpkin fluke down right beside the pier, and started to twitch it. Sure enough, about 30 seconds later, I got a hit, set the hook, and netted it. Man I was excited. The little bit of disdain that it wasn't a largemouth was gone when I realized how big this fish was.

The largemouth weighed in at about a pound, and I was happy, he's decent, but I know there's bigger in there, and I'm going for them. I just gotta find the right tools to get them to bite.
[signature]
Nice job! That's a great looking Crappie.
[signature]
You ain't lying brother. Fun part was they couldn't really fight a lot, it was pretty much hook set and pull em to the top, then in the net. I dropped the jig 3 feet in front of me in the water. [laugh]
[signature]
I've been killing them with shaky for the past two or three times out. I'm fishing it on a 7'2" medium power Cumara with a magnesium Core reel which makes for an ultra-light and sensitive set-up. I caught 5 LMB over 2 pounds on this rig yesterday. Just cast it out, take in most of the slack line, shake it and wait for a bite. Then set the hook and net the fish.
[signature]
Yeah, the fish I caught on the shaky head were pretty good size. I don't think there's anything over 2lbs bass wise in that pond. Not now at least. Maybe after the catfish and carp have been removed. Then we're gonna try to clear up the water quite a bit. Then maybe finally i'll have better luck Tongue
[signature]