Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what kind of leader?
[#008000][Image: happy.gif]Was wondering what kind of leader that you would use to fish for piranhas in the Amazon River?[Image: scaredworried.gif][/#008000]
[inline Piranha.jpg]
[signature]
Just good ole' frog hair[Wink] It will slide right in between the teeth[laugh]
[signature]
[#008000][Image: happy.gif]I guess that one could just use some dental floss. lol[/#008000]
[signature]
The teeth are far enough apart, but imagine it would only take one to cut.
I am betting the same leaders used on Pike, Musky, or Gar...right?

Can you imagine that fish on a Fly Rod?
[signature]
I had no idea that pirannah got that big.. that fish is huge..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[#008000]There are several species of piranhas but most that I have seen are about the size of crappies. However, there are those that grow up to 4 feet. I had a Sadistic friend who keep one in an aquarium and fed it mice or other fish.[/#008000] [#008000]Needless to say we don't socialize any more. They are one ugly fish.[/#008000]
[signature]
I suppose there's a kind of irony in eating a fish that could eat you. [laugh]
[signature]
a long one..imagine the damage this fish could do to a guys net..
[signature]
I had in my mind the ones about the size of a crappie.. not that monster.. as they say.. learn something new every day.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
[#008000][Image: scaredworried.gif]Well the smaller one's that are panfish size can do a lot of damage. They travel in packs and when they get the smell of blood they attack in a frenzy with each one taking a bite of it's victim about the size of a half dollar. Doesn't take them long to devour their prey. I understand that when cattle herders want to move their cattle across a shallow part of the river they will toss in a partial carcass and then move they cattle across the river. They usually have plenty of time as the piranhas are busy with their dinner.[/#008000]
[signature]
did you hear that some guy swam the entire length of the amazon river.. in like sixty some odd day.. now how crazy is that??

here is a link on the story of this guy and what he and his team did to keep the fishies away from him..

[url "http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0409-swim.html"]swimming the amazon[/url]

MacFly
[signature]
Its not a pirannah.
[signature]
what is it then???? :-)
[signature]
I will look it up and let you know
[signature]
African Tiger,
[url "http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/wild/hydrocynus.htm"]http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/wild/hydrocynus.htm[/url]
[signature]
okay.. an African Tiger.. that is a relative of the piranah.. either way Id say the question is still relative especially with the set of chops that it and its cousin have.. [Smile]

MacFly
[signature]
[#008000][blush]Looks like I bought into a bag of dirt. Did some follow up on the picture and found some text that stated subject was caught in the Congo. Oops the Congo is in Africa, so you are probably correct in that it is a tiger fish. Now every-time I Googled or use some other search engine for piranha, that silly tiger shark keeps popping up. Also I have to doubt the validity of the information I dug up about the largest piranhas ever caught. While there are several species, the most common being the red breast & black, their size is less than one foot. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[center][inline piranha.jpg]

[signature]
Have seen them caught on TV, what a great fighting fish
[signature]
I have seen some caught on tv.. but not sure it was the tiger.. are you talking bout that older guy that fishes all over the place.. if so I loved the one on him catching the peacocks.. and that guy has caught some massive, ugly, and dangerous looking fish..

did you see in todays news about the guy who swam the entire length of the amazon.. now that is something Id have no desire to do whatsoever..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I am with you Mac in that it is the same class although I knew it was a Tiger. I think the point of what it can do to a leader along with a whole new definition to the phrase....shred a fly.

I watched a program once, that had children swimming and playing in Piranha waters. They said something like, as long as there was no blood, they were fine, and that Piranha really don't swarm on meat like in the movies. Like I said, it was a program I watched.
[signature]