Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
skemanion run..
how many people have fished the skemanion run in the summer[its a run of different kind of steelhead that run in the summer] we get a deccent run and its the craziest fish i ever hooked into..they actualy fight to the death..anybody else fish this run..
[signature]
I have never heard of it. when does it happen. and where does it happen. i would like to find out more about this!!!!!
[signature]
some people tell me its a cross between a steelhead and an atlantic salmon but then ive also heard its a strain of steelhead out of new york..theres been alot of them planted in lake michigan..so that we could have a steelhead run up the rivers in the middle of the summer..theres already a fall and spring run of steelhead..im wondering were else these fish have been stocked..these fish are the craziest steelhead ive ever seen good luck hanging onto one..
[signature]
Hmmm.......So they are in lake michigan huh, yeah i would like to maybe one day go and have to see what they look like up close and personal. that would be a really fun. so what do they look like. are they bright red with the rosy cheeks or big hook jaws or what????? so skemanion is that the name of the fish or the run? sorry to ask so many ?'s i'm gonna do some research of my own.
[signature]
i dont know if i spelled the name right but thats how it sounds..they have the colors of a cromer a torpedo shaped body slightly forked tail..a cross between a steelhead and an atantic salmon...sorry for the delay on the response spent the last 2 days fishing..landed 37 steelhead in 2 days and hooked plenty more the run is realy good right now..
[signature]
what are the size of those great lake cromers? from what i hear it sounds like they have better runs than we do here in idaho.
[signature]
it is spell Skamanion i looked it up. what is the average weight. around here average is 5-10# with the occational 15#.
[signature]
i did get two over 15 pounds 1 day..one eighteen and one nineteen pounds..but your right on average..did you find out were they have been planted..were they origionate from.and are they a cross..i kind of want to know my self
[signature]
we get 3 steelhead runs per year..the skemanion run is the smallest run becouse michigan doesnt stock them anymore..we get a big fall and spring run..and a salmon run in the fall..weve got steelhead in the rivers 5 months out of the year..
[signature]
no way is it better we get b-run fish up in the 20s in northern idaho.
[signature]
im not trying to say were better just describing the dirrerent runs..its rare to see a steelhead over 20 pounds here..thats a wall mount fish..id like to try that run someday,,
[signature]
i think that 3 is better then 2. for one and the 20# fish are the top of the b run those are trophyh fish and are far and few in-between. i haven't ever talked to anybody that has caught a 20 plus steelie. i know that they are out there but i'm gonna through the bs flag on that one. i know that i personaly don't have that much experience stealheadin but i do know a lot of people that do it a lot and i have never heard of a 20 # fish not even up north. 20 is the top of th b run fish. so yeah B.S.
[signature]
i did get 1 fish last fall that was 41 and a halve inches dont know the weight couldnt afford to mount it..but i was the talk of the river for awile..
[signature]
i know of many 20 lb pluss that have been pulled out of the clearwater. Yes there may not be many up in the salmon but they are there. I heard of one being caught this year that was 44 inches at squaw creek thats around a 22 lb fish. Just cause you havent caught one doesnt mean there not there. You just have to fish the B run streams.
[signature]
do your fish run up alot of streams or all to a single hatchery? What kind of hatchery return numbers do you get?
[signature]
most any tributary that runs into the great lakes get good runs..all the surrounding states plant them by the millions..mi...illinois..indiana wisconson..you get the idea..they ussually run up the first river they find..we get alot of wisconson fish with both fins cliped..ours have i fin cliped..there not very loyal to the rivers they were planted..
[signature]
are there wild fish or all hatchery? Our fish go back to the place they were released. I wonder why yours dont?
[signature]
ther mostly hatchery fish not that much natural reproduction..most of these fish are raised in centraly located hacheries across the state then transported to ther release points..i dont think they know were home is..this is big buisness around here thats why we get so many fish and so many different runs..tourist dollars..
[signature]
do they commercaly fish them in the great lakes?
[signature]
i wasn't say that we don't have them. i was just sayin that they aren't as abundant as crome. is makin them sound. i have never caught a stealhead i just started fishin for them last nov. was my fisrt trip. i have been about 8 time between then and now. and hopefull goin on atleast 1 more. on that note though. i have been around a lot of people who have for many years. one of my buddies since the 3rd grade his dad has fished for them since he was our age. he has only caught 2 in his life that were over 40. one was last year and the other was about 6 years ago. me not catchin one has nothin to do with it. i have fished my whole life so i know that just becuase you aren't catchin them doesn't mean that they aren't there. they are. like you said when you caught that one you were the talk of the river. anythin over 40 is a trophy fish. and everybody know that a trophy is not average. and one other thing that i myself have found out through readin articles and websites. they say that hatchery fish don't grow as aggresivly as wild fish.
[signature]