Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pontoon or float tube??
im looking into buying either a pontoon or float tube to fish on rivers and lakes i need some advice on what one to get...im looking to spend around 100 to 150 dollars. can anyone help me out or give me some advice
[signature]
You'll likely get a lot of opinions on this one - here's my limited experience. For $150 you'll be hard pressed to find a pontoon boat (maybe a used one), but you can get a float tube for that much. When I was scouting pontoons it seemed like good ones start about $300 - 400. I like the pontoon because it moves around more quickly and sits higher in the water, and if you want you can add an electric motor. If you're going to take it down the Green, my understanding is that you can't do it in a float tube but can in a pontoon boat (without motor). Hope that helps, best wishes.
[signature]
Are float tubes legal on UTAH rivers?
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Are float tubes legal on UTAH rivers?[/quote]

good question - the only thing I could find in the proclamation was on page 32, restricting float tubes on a few lakes
[signature]
Tube Dude made mention that there was a law that required a 9 foot pontoon on rivers...wonder where he found that cause I can't find it, but I have heard this before....allot.
[signature]
People River Raft and tube down all summer long. Ive seem people float down with case's of beer and topless [cool][cool][cool]

Not once Have I ever seen them get a ticket would be ludicrous if they got one for fishing.
[signature]
Still not convinced on the 9 ft rule on pontoons- sure would like to see it. I have floated the green with a guy checking me at the launch and nothing said about that.
Anyone who floats a river in a float tube ( and I have done the South Fork of the Snake) is an idiot. You are just asking to be killed. You can't get out of big swirling back eddies- you can't get away from log jams and if your leg catches something it's over rover. And don't get some cheap pontoon and expect it to preform for you when you most need it. You can buy used but get a quality pontoon . There is a slim chance you can get a used decent toon for $150 but when you are putting you life on the line I would be saving some money for awhile and get a float tube for the stillwaters and save for a pontoon later.
[signature]
so you dont suggest using tubes on rivers? cause i wanted mine for places like the green and henrys fork...but if they arent safe im definitely not getting one and will keep saving for a pontoon
[signature]
On those two choices, I would look at at least an 8' pontoon with a good cover.
[signature]
I think it was Jim Teeny who lost his father to a float tube accident on a river and he is just one of more. . I also can not find anything in the proclamation that states a 9ft rule on toons or that float tubes are illegal on the Green. But I would never again get in a tube on a river. I did the Green and the South Fork of the Snake that way years ago and it was just stupid. Just a college kid with an immortality complex. It's OK to " go with the flow" on some things but a river isn't one of them. I do need a tube but it's for high mountain lakes,
[signature]
I've witnessed someone float the Green on a float tube. Thought it was moronic myself, but to each his own.

I have a friend who floated the Green on a 7 ft pontoon. Said it got a little scary in places, but made it through.

If $100-150 is your budget, look for a tube. Just don't float it on a river. If you want to float rivers, save up for a while and get a toon. I'd recommend at least 8 foot.
[signature]
HERE YOU GO

[url "http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=6177890&cat=233&lpid"]http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=6177890&cat=233&lpid[/url]=
[signature]
Safety is a bigger issue than what. I dont think your going to get much for $100.00 to $ $150.00 . I would check out the above post as soom as you can.
[signature]
I am placing an ad in the Utah for Sale and KSL.
[signature]
I agree with what everyone here has said. toons and tubes have two very diferent uses in my opinion. A toon sound more like what your wanting, but the price range obviously goes up. a tube is probably the best way to fish small lakes and protected coves and bays, however when... and it will happen, the wind picks up you better trust in your leg strength to get you in fast or else your nothing but a piece of drift wood for flygoddess to show off her amazing fly collection. seriously.. after being blown across strawberry bay and having a boat comeout and pick me out of the middle of the lake you learn your lessons.
[signature]
DUDE!!!! Were you Freaking Out![shocked]
[signature]
I thought I was in a good area, then the wind turned on me, and by the time I realized the change in direction, I was already to a point where I could not kick against the wind. At that point I was freakin pretty hard, getting blown into strawberry. But lucky for me, a donut float tube is not a common site out in the main lake, and the first boat heading in stopped and helped me. But things could have been a lot worse for sure, one thing I know is donut tube and wind equals me casting from shore. Had I had a pontoon and oars I think I would have been able to stay out and battle the wind for a while longer.
[signature]
Either way, it is great for the Cardiovascular....LOL
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You have already been given a lot of good input. I am attaching the quick comparison chart I put together to try to provide a list of the important factors to consider before buying.[/#0000ff]
[signature]