Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muskie Bucktails
After looking how much bucktails are, I decided to a stab at making my own. Broke out the tying vise, ordered a bunch of flashabou,bucktails,beads,wire,blades,coils and here are some of the finished products.....Just have to wait for the ice to leave the hometown water!
[signature]
Very taste looking lures
[signature]
Vary nice! What is the weight in oz approximately?
[signature]
well I use .062 wire, 5/16 solid brass beads, 1 3/8 (1/2 oz)body. Tie material onto either a 1/2 round bucktail coil or a 3/4 oz keel bucktail coil. The blades are .040 muskie spinner blades and .025 size 12 mega blades. Use 7/0 hooks for the flashabou bucktails and 5/0 hooks for the plain bucktail. Your guess is as good as mine on weight. Last week I took them out to the view along with the bucktail I purchases that cost me 25.00 bucks to see if I could tell a difference. No difference, I do think the ones I made may be a little heavier but I wont be taking any weight off. I was surprised how far I could actually cast them. You thinking to heavy or to light?
[signature]
No comment. I have not fished them enough to know a good answer to that. I just bought a dozen from Sportsmans on clearance for $4 and they are 5/8oz and 3/4oz and they cast very nicely on my Garcia and 50# Stealth. Can't wait to fish them.[Smile]
[signature]
Our ice is gone send them my way and I'll test them for you!

Looks good!
[signature]
Maybe I will, where would you try them out?
[signature]
Yuba Reservoir, Redmond, and Johnsons (Northern Pike) till the ice gets off Pineview (Tiger Musky). And then I would also take them on my Lake Vermilion Minnesota trip in the first week of June.
[signature]