Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ice fishing saftey
[center][size 5]JUDGING ICE CONDITIONS[/size] [left]The ice traveler should look for bluish ice that is at least 4 to 6 inches thick, in order to support people and their gear. Even if the weather has been below freezing for several days, don't guess about ice thickness. Check ice in several places. Use an auger, spud, or axe to make a test hole, beginning at shore and continuing as you go out. [left]If ice at the shoreline is cracked or squishy, stay off. Don't go on the ice during thaws. Watch out for thin, clear or honeycomb-shaped ice. Dark show and dark ice are other signs of weak spots. [left]Choose small bodies of water. Rivers and lakes are prone to wind and wave action, which can break ice up quickly. Avoid areas with currrents, around bridges and pressure ridges. [left]In the wintertime, outdoor enthusiasts frequently need to know how thick the ice is and whether it is safe to walk across it. The American Pulpwood Association has published a hand reference chart that gives a good rule-of-thumb for ponds and lake ice thickness. [center][size 5]"Wait for a long cold spell, then test the ice thoroughly."[/size] [center] [left]Ice Thickness
[size 2](in inches)[/size] Permissible Load - Clear, Blue Lake Ice
([size 2]Reduce strength values for other types of ice)[/size] [/left] [left]2" - One person on foot [/left] [left]3"- Group of people walking single file [/left] [left]7-1/2"- Passenger car (2 ton gross) [/left] [left]8"- Light truck (2-1/2 ton gross) [/left] [left]10"- Medium truck (3-1/2 ton gross) [/left] [left]12"- Heavy truck (7-8 ton gross) [/left] [left]15"- Heavy truck (10 ton gross) [/left] [left]20" - 25 tons [/left] [left]25"- 45 tons [/left] [left]30"- 70 tons [/left] [left]36" - 110 tons [/left] [center][size 4]
What if I break through the ice?
[/size][/center] [left]If you break through the ice, don't panic.[/left] [left]Don't try to climb out - you'll probably break the ice again.[/left] [left]Lay both arms on the unbroken ice and kick hard. This will help lift your body onto the ice. Roll to safety.[/left] [left]To help someone who has fallen in, lie down flat and reach with a branch, plank, or rope; or form a human chain. Don't stand. After securing the victim, wiggle backwards to the solid ice.[/left] [left]The victim may need treatment for hypothermia (cold exposure), artificial respiration or CPR.[/left] [center]
[size 4]"If your feet are cold, put on your hat."[/size][/center] [left]That may seem odd, but it's good advice. Most of our body heat is lost through your head and neck. So wear a hat; cover your face and neck.[/left] [left]Dress in layers. Wool, silk and certain synthetics are best; they'll keep you warm even if they're wet.[/left] [left]Insulated, waterproof boots, gloves and a windbreaker are very important. Take extra clothing.[/left] [left][/left]
[signature]

[signature]
just thought i'de bring this back up to refresh my memory
[signature]
Thanks for the info. It could definitely save someone's life. We don't want to lose any of our great BFT members to a tragedy such as falling through the ice!
[signature]
I have seen people ahd vehicles go through 20 inches of ice. just remember that there are a lot of things going under that ice. the statement above is a test result done under controlled situation with out the factoring in of unknown existing conditions. Ice can be 20 inches thick in one place and one foot away it can be 5 inches thick or even less than a 1/4 inch thick.

I was fishing right beside a man who was sitting on the ice 10 feet away from me in the dead middle of winter. I was fishing in 29 inches of ice. during the corse of the day he fell through.

just remember that there is no such thing as safe ice. your car snowmobile what ever insurance policy becomes void the here in michigan the minute you drive out on to the ice. if you go through tripple A will not come to your aid to tow you out. you will pay a huge fine not to mention a major salvage bill.

for saftey sake you should read about the results from some ice testing on this link [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=84618;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;"][size 1]any ice up noth? [/size][/url]
[signature]
dave's 110% correct-a-mundo on that !
underwater springs , currents , bubble ice , snow ice , layered ice , small sheets of ice broke off from expantion . cut out spearing holes . last year a few guys had a sheet of ice flip on them , they went under and the sheet covered the whole up within seconds , they did not make it .
i'de never take any vehical out on the ice .
[signature]