Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's the Shad?
I keep hearing people talk about using shad as live bait to catch striper. Last time I was at the lake I was talking to a guy who had a small net that he said he uses to catch shad with. However, I've been to Lake Mead on numerous occasions and have never seen anything by the shoreline that resembles a small fish that I could use for bait. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Might be just a bit early to see shad in the shallows. Any days now though.... Got to go very early. Before first light. They spawn at night near anything their egg's can stick to. You can use a cast net to catch them. Check NDOW regulations for net size. Throwing a cast net takes practice. From shore I'd go off one of the road accesses near 33 hole. Also Vegas Wash or Crawdad Cove. Boat - just get in the shallows anywhere in coves in lower basin before first light.
[signature]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Where's the Shad? That is the question! You find the bait....you find the stripers. You catch the bait.....you catch the stripers.

Buy a 3' casting net. Don't throw a larger net. Go out on the lawn and toss it a million times until it lands flat and spread out every time. Drink a beverage that comes in a can, throw the can on the lawn, and toss the net so it lands on the can every time. Buy a bucket to keep your net in.

Netting shad from a boat allows you to cover a large area. Electric trolling motors allow you cruise the back coves without disturbing everything and everyone. Look for clues like birds diving, fish slapping, raindrop motion in the water, etc. Look for other anglers tossing nets, ask questions. Keep searching until you find the shad or are convinced they are not around. Never become discouraged, you will soon become proficient at finding and netting bait. Catching shad is almost as fun as catching stripers. Sorry, I'm rambling..........

Good luck,
BaySport
[signature]
Thanks to everyone for their ideas and suggestions. I will report back with a shad update.
[signature]