Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
white fluid out of lower end?
does anyone know what white fluid would come out from the prop on an 40 horse outboard??
[signature]
There are two things it could be, one is your lower seal is letting water into your gears and that is what you see when that happens. You can check by draining the fluid out of your lower gear area of the foot. If the fluid is white and milky then you have a bad seal. The second thing it could be is the oil from your two stroke motor, some motors blow the exhaust out through the hollow part around the center of the prop. The oil from the fuel mixture mixes with the water in the prop area and turns kind of a white color. The second one is normal but I have never seen it on a larger motor only kicker motors. If it is water in your foot, your in trouble depending on how long it has been that way. I'm sure others can give you better instructions but that should give you a place to start.
[signature]
Waste no time getting it to a good motor doctor. Ya got water getting into the lower unit & it'll take its toll in mighty short order.
[signature]
drained lower end not a sign of water pure black(old) oil no water . Not really sure where it might have mixed I just replaced the impellar?
[signature]
I'm sure you can call Lee's marine to confirm this but I had the same concern a few years back and after I checked the lower unit I talked to Lee and he told me this. In two stroke engines, maybe all engines, the exhaust goes out through the center of your prop. Not all engines do this but some will have an excess of oil mixed with the gas, when this combines with the water as it goes out the prop area you get the white milky color around the prop. I might not have explained this right but I was told this is normal on some engines. Again you can call Lee to confirm this but as long as the fluid in your foot area was not milky, you should be OK. Sounds like you needed to change your fluid in your motors foot area anyway[Wink]. I don't do it every year but some folks do change their lower end oil every year, just make sure that little "O" ring around the lower screw is still in good shape and not torn when you refill the foot area with oil.
[signature]
I have a feeling this is after you ran it in the drive way right.
If so and you checked your lower end oil and it is not milky it is the mixture of water and the excess oil in your gas.Mine does it once in a while most of the time the first time I run it in the drive in the spring.Not a problem and it will wash out first time you run it in the lake.
[signature]
Good news called lee sounds like it was just extra fuel mix wheew!!![Smile] Thanks for the info everyone
[signature]