Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Report 6/14
Unlike wiperhunter's success, we had to work hard to just find the wipers Saturday morning. We did not mark a fish in the SE corner so we moved to the west dike where we had similar results. We decided to try the open water and found a nice concentration about 600 yards ENE of the light poll. For about 90 minutes we did really well, catching seven wipers and a nice 22" walleye. At 10:30 am the fish just quit on us. We were still seeing them, but they were not interested in anything we threw. We had best success with small shad Rap's, chrome/ blue/orange. My wife caught the lunker of the day.

How about that windstorm at Willard Friday evening? Whew- the waves got really big, really fast.

[Image: site1034.JPG]
did you weigh that wiper? that one looks around the 5 lb mark.
[signature]
Catching 7 wipers and one walleye in 90 minutes is great, if you would have found them earlier you would have had a awesome day. Now you see where the hunter comes in, in wiperhunter, a lot of time you are hunting for the wipers before you can catch them.

If we are guessing on how big your wife's wiper is, my guess is 19 inches, 3.5 lbs., maybe 20 inches 4lbs. WH2
[signature]
I couldn't weigh because I had a two year old using that box as a pillow.. It could have been a state record and I wouldn't have taken the chance of waking up that monster. It was 19'' long though.
From my experience a 19 inch wiper weights about 3.5 lbs, smaller if it is not eating good (like last year at this time), bigger if there is a lot of food in the water. The fish your wife is holding might go 4lbs max. but it is a reel nice fish, I bet it gave her a great fight. WH2
[signature]
I was wondering if any of you have noticed,the wipers are really skinny,the 23 1/2 incher that the guy caught last week was only 4lbs.last year that same fish would have hit around 6lbs last fall.

Is it me?

And there are no signs that the shad are out yet,the terns are there but there not hitting the water yet,just flying around.is it to early yet to see them,I thought the shad should be getting big enough for the fish to start feeding on them.Keep your eye's open I would like to know when the birds are feeding on them,should be soon?

TIGHT LINES

Tony[cool]
[signature]
I kept seeing the Terns sitting on the water and I kept trying to troll near them, but then they'd get up and fly to another spot. I didn't know if they were feeding or just hanging around. Only a couple looked like they really came down and smacked the water. The rest were just hanging around. This was last night (sunday) between 6 and 8 pm. I didn't know if that was supposed to mean that the Shad were hanging out under them or if they were just settling down for the evening. Oh well, for what it's worth.

Fisch R. Mann
[signature]
When the Wipers start putting the herd on the Shad and start stunning and injuring as many as they eat, that's when you'll see the Terns start hitting the water in ernest.
[signature]
The wipers I've caught are bigger this year than last but I'd say about normal, (I thought they were smaller last year). 4 pounds for a 23 & 1/2 wiper is a little small, that is for sure but I have yet to catch a wiper that is 6lbs at 23 inches but I guess it is not impossible, that would be a hog. I think the shad should be out any time now, they might be there now but too small to notice. WH2
[signature]