Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best fly rod for smaller fish
hey guy 1 more choice if you arnt already Confused enough..if i cant run a sage my second choice is always a lamiglass..they are comparable on quality and a little les sticker shock..it is a viable option..
[signature]
I actually owned a redington 5 wt a few years back, I loved that rod. I would consider getting a new one, as long as it actually had a warranty. The more I look into it, the more I lean towards the sage. though it is more expensive, quality is what I am after. I am thinking 7' rnge give or take a few inches. and definately 3-wt. Thanks again for all the advice, It is always best to be able to talk to the people who are using the different rods to know what I want.
[signature]
I have a 8'9 sage LL 3 wt and 2 other Sage rods- really decent rods- wouldn't think of taking them back packing nor many of my other rods- been doing the packing for a long time and have seen too many great rods bite the dust because of things that just seem to happen while packing when people or animals are involved- I take a 8 1/2 ' 4 wt Cabelas
$49.99 rod and a Diawa Lockimor reel ( very light wt and inexpensive- not need for disc drag here) Okuma's are decent stillwater reels but IMHO and maybe just mine- they are too heavy for light wt rods.
The Cabela's rod and Lockimor reel balance each other out nicely and if it breaks- not out much- it really isn't a bad rod either.
[signature]
I was just going to mention Cabela's also.
The Three Fork...a real fair price (no warranty) or a little more and a warranty the LST.
Also ECHO. The Redington is a sweet choice also. Sage Launch is in a three weight but I think the Launch is a little fast.
As mentioned Lamiglass is my favorite next to wood.

Pack, I relate totally to back packing the LL's. Mine is a two piece and I have a nice tube that doubles as a wading staff, but they are UN REPLACEABLE anymore. Nothing like the LL. The ZXL is close, but no cigar.
So it mostly gets wide open areas anymore....LOL
[signature]
It's been said, but I HAVE to toss in some more love for the sage LL series. I have two 3's, and two 4's, and I never even use any other light rods except bamboo once in a while. Mine are the old Sage Graphite II versions, no longer made, but even the newer ones still have the same feel and action. Almost like the old "Winston action." Soft and smooth. I use the 8'9" 3 wt. on most smaller creeks.

And the Helios, yes, its a work of wonder. Just for illustration purposes, I have a 9-foot, 4 peice 8-wt that weighs less then my 4 wt. Sage! Really, they are the lightest rod I've ever handled. And expensive, but I'm lucky to get them for about half of retail through Orvis, and they're still not cheap! They're not as "soft" as other graphites and "Superfines", but cast well, are more versatile, and weigh next to nothing.

I can't imagine how light a 3 or 4 wt Helios would feel, since I haven't cast one, but its gotta be like a feather.

If you go for a lighter rod, any of them, be sure to match it with a very lightweight reel. (Hardy Flyweight is my favorite)
[signature]
Jim, I have the Orvis 7' 4wt. "ONE OUNCE." (no longer made) It is a full flex sweet as can be rod and the Helios follows suit.
I matched mine with the Spring Creek by Tibor.
They haven't made the LL for years now, and the closest would be the ZXL. Very nice rod, but different[Wink]
[signature]
The closest I have to that is a full flex,7 1/2 foot 3 wt "Tippet." I've had it for 15 years, and still use it once or twice a season in the smallest of small creeks. However, it is a true noodle stick. Just like bamboo, only lighter and not as cool.[Wink] Because of that, I seldom recommend it to anyone, and its no longer made either.

I've cast the Sage ZXL on a couple of lawns and in a pool inside an auditorium, but you're right, its not a LL.

I have long been one to dismiss and dislike most of the newer, faster graphite fly rods in the last 10 years. However:

I'm going to have to try a light weight Helios in a 4 wt. this year. The mid-flex is around 2 ounces as I recall. I'm pretty sure the Sage LL's are a litte more than that.

I can't believe how light that 8-wt is. I used to HATE chucking an 8-wt in salt water, or even in fresh for pike and salmon. It was just too much work most of the time. After casting the Helios this winter though, I can do some more of that! My "older" 8 weights and the titanic 11 wt. are both on Ebay as we speak. They're tanks compared to the Helios.

And to the original poster, just get what you like and/or can afford in a 3 wt, and you'll probably like it. Light fly rods are more simplistic than the bigger ones because casts are usually much shorter in actual fishing situations. I always recommend trying before you buy. Most fly shops will let you make some casts first.

I wouldn't sell my LL's for $1,000 a peice today though. They just happen to be a perfect fit for me, and that's priceless.

Now, if I could get off the dang lake, and get caught up on all my postponed winter/spring chores, I could actually go fishing instead of rant about it! Rumor has it the dreaded little olives are popping!
[signature]
I also agree that the LL was a fabulous rod. Many people don't realize that the rod that replaced it (VPS light) was virtually the same rod with different, more bland cosmetics and a cheaper price tag.

My two favorite light line rods are Winston and Scott. I'm not much of a fan of 3 weights so if it were me I would stick to a slightly shorter 4.

My two favorites are the-
Scott G2 8'8" 4 weight
Winston BIIt 8'6" 4 weight

I havent thrown the Helios in the 4 but I really liked the 7'6" 3 weight I fished on thistle last year, even though I don't like 3 weights much. I will get to throw all of the Helios models this week. I will let you all know what I think of them.....
[signature]
I am with you on the 4 weight. To be honest I have a very sweet Shelbyville 3 weight I gave my Husband because I prefer the 2 or the 4. All my 4 weights are light weight gear with full flex. In seven foot, I have the Trout Bum, the One Ounce, a Lamiglass, a Penns Creek and a Battenkill, so....yes four is my rod of choice.

But you say the VPS is the replacement for the LL......interesting.
About 3 years ago, I was told the ZXL was the replacement.
[signature]
The ZXL is the replacement for the SLT, which was the replacement for the SP. The TXL is the closest replacement for the LL/VPS Light. NIce rods but not nearly as versatile due to the lack in lengths longer than 7'10"
[signature]
Right you are, my miss, I meant the TXL, but I am not familiar with the VPS, but I do take your word for that. Thanks.

I had a SP...it was a great rod...but the Winston is more to my liking.
[signature]