Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Biggest Bass So Far!
I decided to leave work early last night and go fishing since it was in the 80's outside. Boy was i glad that i did!

I picked up my dad and we took the boat to a lake thats just a 15 min drive from the house. No one was there at all, not even on the banks. I thought that was weird but o well. We launched and headed for a spot that i just knew would be good for some bass. This spot was loaded with big rocks and i had a good feeling about it. I figured that the sun would of warmed the rocks up over the weekend and that there would be some nice bass hanging out there. Well my first cast i got a nice smallmouth bass and i thought to myself that this was gonna be a good day. My dad was fishing for perch and just pounding them. After about and hour we moved down a little bit to a big rocky flat. I casted out a few times and i did not get a hit. then i made long cast towards the shore where there were some big rocks just under the surface. Well i had on a tru-tungston perch colored swim bait and i thought i got hung up on the rocks. I jerked the rod to pull it free and then i seen the line race down the shore! im like o boy here we go. I thought i had on a big catfish or something. well once i got it close to the boat i seen the big black shadow shoot under the boat and i was sure that it was a big old bass, just was not sure how big. He decided to make a B-line out the back of the boat and almost got wrapped around my trolling motor. I put pressure on the rod and avoided that, but i did not avoid the anchor line. He got wrapped up around it good! i looked over the side of the boat to see his big ole mouth gaping at me. Fearing my line would snap i hurried up and grabbed him. i spun around to show my dad and his jaw dropped. It turned out to be the biggest largemouth i ever caught in my life. He was 21" and heavy. I don't know how much he weighed cause i did not have a scale but if i had to guess i would say somewhere in the 7lb range. My dad snapped a few pictures and i happily put him back in the water and watched him dart off! what a day! I don't regret leaving work early at all lol.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=47494"][inline bigbass1b.jpg][/url]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=47495"][inline bigbass2b.jpg][/url]
[signature]
Hey

Nice bass!
[signature]
Check out the sticky post on the top of the bass forum page. There is a contest going, with fish like that you may want to join.
[signature]
Very nice fish. I need to hook up with a nice one to enter the contest and beat my entry. I'm finding the the bass in the shallows as well.
[signature]
Yeah the bass are for sure in the shallows trying to get warmed up a bit. Find some rocks with some sun shineing on them you will find your bass. I don't think they are on the beds yet, a bit to early for that but i do think they are starting to scope out some territory.

I thought Mods were not able to enter the contest on this bored? If so i would have wrote j9 on something and entered this fish. O well im just happy to have got the chance to catch this big ole boy, give him a big wet kiss and send him on his way. Everyone tells me to bad it aint bass season, even if it was i would not of kept this guy! I don't understand why people wanna keep them! i would much rather eat crappie or perch. If i do eat bass, which its been about 10 years since i had it, i only keep smaller ones in the 12 to 15 inch range. I would rather put the big guys back to catch again another day. Plus this guy is gonna make some babies soon and they will carry on his genetics and someday become big boys too.

To make a long story short if more people would practice selective harvest we would see more bass like this being caught up here in PA. I know alot of guys that keep everything they caught. Those are the first people to cry when the fishing gets tuff cause there are fewer fish to catch. Sorry for ranting but i really wanted to get that off my chest after everyone i know here at home is telling me i should of took that fish home.

Glad u guys liked it though, i only wish you could have been there to see how big my eyes were when i picked him up out of the water.
[signature]
Mods on the bass board can't win, but I believe all other mods can enter. I'll still post my big one for the year in all bass categories. You can post stripers as well as smallies so no matter where you live you have a chance to win something.
[signature]
My bad, I should have made it more specific. The bass board mods are not eligible. I guess you're just going to have go catch another biggun'!
[signature]
LOL sure getting big bass like that is simple!!! Yeah right! Do you know how hard it is to get a big bass like that up here in PA? Really hard. Down in Florida and texas fish like that are a dime a dozen, but up here they are real trophies. O well i'll try again. Hey i got till december 31st right. Thats plenty of time. Even if i don't get another big one i will have alot of fun trying.
[signature]