Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod question for some of u pro's
Ok i have a Abu garcia AmbasSador 5500 C3 reel that i am gonna use for my bass pole, Question is what type of Rod do i need?? Been looking at a 6' 6" medium to heavy action Rhino at wal mart, Is this a decent pole for a bass set up?? Thanks[fishin]
[signature]
I've had a C3 for 3 or so years. Good solid reels. Mainly use mine for trolling or deep water jigging. Never had much luck with it for casting. What type of fishing or technique do you plan on doing with your new setup?
About the rod...never had one of the Rhinos, so I can't give you an opinion on that.
However, if you have a price range in mind I can definitely give some ideas.
[signature]
[quote Catatafish]I've had a C3 for 3 or so years. Good solid reels. Mainly use mine for trolling or deep water jigging. Never had much luck with it for casting. What type of fishing or technique do you plan on doing with your new setup?
About the rod...never had one of the Rhinos, so I can't give you an opinion on that.
However, if you have a price range in mind I can definitely give some ideas.[/quote]

Hey there Catatafish, i am basically gonna be tossing luers with it for bass, As far as price range i would like to stay at $40 or under.....
[signature]
$40 or under...
How about an "Ugly Stick lite"? I looked on Bass pro and it looks like you can pick one up for the price you are looking for.
I had one a while back and it was a pretty decent rod for the price. Would still have it if not for a clumsy friend stepping on it.
[signature]
I use a 5'6'' medium action for bass fishing.

You probably don't need a heavy 6'6'' rod unless you are going to be flipping into heavy weeds or brush piles. I also use a 5'6'' light rod for my small spinners and finesse worms when trying for smallmouth or smaller largermouth bass.

But my 5'6'' medium is a pretty good all around bassin' rod and can be used with lower test line for finesse and 10lb test for my general bassin and if I am going to be flipping into heavy brush I use 14lb test line all that same medium ugly stick.
[signature]
Bring your reel with you when you head out to buy a rod, and see what combination feels best in your hand. Also, do some pretend casts and see how it feels. The rod / reel combination can make a big difference. The C3 is a bit on the heavy side @ about 10 ounces, so a shorter rod might not feel right. I do have an old 5'6 ugly stick that I've had for years that sits in the corner of the garage and hasn't seen any action since probably 2002. Everyone has their preference, and things that work best for them. Over the years I've found that I prefer rods that are 6'6 to 7' for bass. Again though, that's what works for me and the only "right" answer is what feels best in your hand for the money you want to spend.
[signature]
That's a good point [url "../../../cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=Catatafish"]Catatafish.[/url] I'm pretty tall and fish mostly from the bank in ponds and the rivers around here in NE arkansas so I opt out for a shorter rod to be able to flip or underhand cast around all the cypruss trees and brush on the bank. So made an excellent observation about what works and feels best for each individual.
[signature]
[quote Catatafish]Bring your reel with you when you head out to buy a rod, and see what combination feels best in your hand. Also, do some pretend casts and see how it feels. The rod / reel combination can make a big difference. The C3 is a bit on the heavy side @ about 10 ounces, so a shorter rod might not feel right. I do have an old 5'6 ugly stick that I've had for years that sits in the corner of the garage and hasn't seen any action since probably 2002. Everyone has their preference, and things that work best for them. Over the years I've found that I prefer rods that are 6'6 to 7' for bass. Again though, that's what works for me and the only "right" answer is what feels best in your hand for the money you want to spend.[/quote]

Thank you sir, Is a Med to heavy action good enough for Bass fishing?? Also i don't fish from a boat, Normally off the banks of lakes and ponds....Thanks for your help
[signature]
Oh yea and remoc I've had a Abu garcia AmbasSador 5500 for years and years and it's a little scratched up but works as well today as the day I bought it. Keep it oiled regularly, clean it up regularly and that reel will last you many, many years.

Oh and about medium or heavy. A medium rod is going to be more sensitive to strikes, especially when finesse fishing plastics or smaller spinner baits and shallow running crank baits. I usually don't use a heavy rod unless (like I stated before) I'm fishing heavy cover for lunkers, I do have on heavy 6'6'' rod just for that purpose rigged with 14lb test line and a shakespeare tidewater reel.
[signature]
[quote bytebull]Oh yea and remoc I've had a Abu garcia AmbasSador 5500 for years and years and it's a little scratched up but works as well today as the day I bought it. Keep it oiled regularly, clean it up regularly and that reel will last you many, many years.

Oh and about medium or heavy. A medium rod is going to be more sensitive to strikes, especially when finesse fishing plastics or smaller spinner baits and shallow running crank baits. I usually don't use a heavy rod unless (like I stated before) I'm fishing heavy cover for lunkers, I do have on heavy 6'6'' rod just for that purpose rigged with 14lb test line and a shakespeare tidewater reel.[/quote]

Yeah i have heard the 5500 is a great reel, I have to learn to use one first[laugh] I will get a medium action....Thanks for your help, You guy's Rock....
[signature]
Medium, medium heavy, heavy, etc...they all have their place. If you had to pick one, medium to medium heavy should suit you just fine.
Keep in mind the weight of the line you plan on using, as well as the typical weight of the baits you like to throw, and then match it up with the rod.
Also, keep in mind that medium for one rod manufacturer might be considered a light or a heavy for another. Stick with the specs marked on the rod you are thinking of buying, and again, bring your reel and see how it feels if you can.
Now go buy a rod and catch some fish! LOL
[signature]
cata makes another good point... Line size! It's very important when bass fishing. You want to go with the lowest line test you can get away with for the size bass your catching. Make sure you learn to set your drag properly for your new rig. If you use 12lb test line and are using crank baits they won't dive as deep if you use 8lb test. You can haul in a 10lb bass on 8lb test easy if you have your drag set properly and you don't bully the fish to the bank, Most of the excitiment when bass fishing is hooking a lunker on smaller test line and medium rod and having to play that fish and wear him down without loosing him.

You are going to enjoy Bass fishing, to me it's the most exciting sport fish to catch.
[signature]
If you are knew to using an open face reel then put on a 1/2oz weight then press the cast button, now set the release speed so that the weight drops down to the ground and the spool on the reel does not continue turning when the weight hits the ground. Then go outside and practice casting into a cup or bucket about 20 feet away. You will have to learn to use your thumb to control the speed that the weight leaves the spool.

Once you master hitting the bucket with 1/2 oz weight at 20 feet you should be able to cast any size lure with accuracy just remember to when you change lure sizes and weight to change the spool speed again so that the spool stops when the lure hits the ground.

Good luck!
[signature]
[quote bytebull]If you are knew to using an open face reel then put on a 1/2oz weight then press the cast button, now set the release speed so that the weight drops down to the ground and the spool on the reel does not continue turning when the weight hits the ground. Then go outside and practice casting into a cup or bucket about 20 feet away. You will have to learn to use your thumb to control the speed that the weight leaves the spool.

Once you master hitting the bucket with 1/2 oz weight at 20 feet you should be able to cast any size lure with accuracy just remember to when you change lure sizes and weight to change the spool speed again so that the spool stops when the lure hits the ground.

Good luck![/quote]

Thanks again Sir, Hopefully i will have some pictures by Monday to post[cool]
[signature]
Also, another good tip for people learning to use casting reels. Make the longest cast you can. Pull out some tape and place a peice on the spool, taping down the remaining line on the spool. Now reel in that long cast. Now if you back lash you will only back lash down to the tape. The tape will save you from picking out massive back lashes. This helped me a ton when learing to use a casting reel.
[signature]