Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake mead 5/1/09
[cool]Went out after work on friday to south of 33 hole. Talked to a guy that just got back to his truck and he said that he caught 8 stripers in about two hours in one of the coves. He was fishing from shore and said that the fish were chasing shad to the rocky shore. I went to that cove in my floattube and got 8 stripers myself on a Johnson beetle spin in chartruese. I kept the three biggest ones(1.5lbs ea.) and released the rest. They were chasing very small baitfish( i couldn't tell if they were shad) up against the rocks. Left the lake right before the wind came up.
[signature]
Good to hear you got into some fish BigE. I was finally able to get on the water Friday morning. Man is that a hike with a float tube. Hit the water just before sunup and there were fish breaking the surface all around. I was just south of the 33 hole also. At least I think it was south. Toward the old Las Vegas Wash. Went out of the left parking lot. Ended up hooking up with two cats and that is all. I couldn't get anything else's attention. I really wanted some LMB or SMB, but nothing. I don't know if I am ready for that hike again any time soon. May just need to stick with Boulder Harbor until I get hungry enough to try again for some bass.
[signature]
Way to 'match the hatch' BigE. Nice observations. I'm heading out tomorrow; I can't decide between Callville or Echo... Probably Callville so I don't waste so much gas. Try for some bass and stripers and maybe some cats if I can find the bigger ones (over 5lbs). Ill throw up a post with pics when I get back.
[signature]
[cool]Hey bmitchell, yeah it is a decent hike to the water but it can be rewarding. The stripers are probably hitting the small shad this time of year. I couldn't see the size of the baitfish(shad) on friday but am asuming they were shad larvare. The sripers chasing them were also small(half pounders or smaller) with a couple larger models mixed in. I have used a flyrod for theses guys in years past and have been waiting to try it again this year. I might go out this friday and try it.
[signature]
So were you headed out towards the lake or in towards the old wash? I guess I could make an argument for each direction being south, but that is my demented sense of directions[Wink]. I want to head out this week again, maybe tomorrow evening. Just have to find a place where I don't sink to my knee in mud launching the tube. Thanks for the info. I only have another month here in Nevada and want to try to get out as much as possible.
[signature]
[cool]Hey bmitchell, I sent you a PM
[signature]
Great report!

They were chasing very small baitfish

Sounds about right for the lower basin this time of year.
BaySport
[signature]