Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anything will help!
Hey,

I am very new to fishing and crabbing world. So I have a couple questions. One question is, where is/ are the best places to go crabbing in southern cal. I live near the long beach area. Also, I was wondering where I might be able to catch some larger fish like halibut and others. I currently have been fishing on the pier in Long Beach but I have been only catching small rock crabs and a few macral fish. Any info would be cool.
[signature]
Welcome aboard and thanks for the question. I have been crabbing all up and down the coast in Cali.

My favorite spot for the bigger Rock Crab is in Santa Barbara. That is about 2 hours north of you but well worth the trip.

I did find out that the Spider Crabs get bigger as you go further south and the Rock Crabs get smaller. Alot has to do with the water temperature.

Belmont Pier and Hermosa Beach Pier are one of my favorites for variety but not for size. Redondo Pier proves to be decent but you will constantly fight the seals out of your net.

Halibut can be decent in your area though. They are also better from Redondo Beach on up to Port Hueneme area. Halibut are still better and more consistant in the Malibu to Pt. Mugu beach area.

Catalina Island have provided some nice Halibut for me in the past. Channel Island have provided some of the biggest in So Cal.[cool]
[signature]
Alright thanks. So from what I got from you is that Redondo beach is the best place to crab and fish. But malibu might be the best place to get halibut.

If I am looking to catch halibut what bait do you think would work the best? I have been using anchovies and shrimp. Last question, is there a good spot for catching lobster?
[signature]
Anchovy will work good with the Halibut if they are live and you are in the right zone. Halibut will not chase down their prey too often. We use a 6inch Fish Trap that is close to the color of a Grunion. Grunion season is upon us and that is one of their favorite quick meals.

When the Grunion season is over, we like to use a Tady C in the Scrambled Egg color. You need to be throwing out and drag or yo yo it back across different areas.

Lobster from the Piers or jettys is best around Marina Del Rey and Channel Islands Harbor. You need a small boat or dingy in Channel Islands and only a good throwing arm in Marina Del Rey. Malibu has produced a few Lobster in the past but it is more hit and miss.

Mackerel makes the best bait for Crab and Lobster in the trap. If you only want crab, raw chicken works best.[cool]
[signature]