Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anglers Voices Heard on SprearFishing
Was reading the Trib today and came across an article regarding the 2010 regs. One of the article was:

Spearfishing ยป One of the hottest issues in 2008 was images of lunker lake trout at Fish Lake with big holes in them, displayed on the Internet after a spearfishing tournament last fall. Hook and line anglers said it was unethical to spearfish for the mature lake trout when they were spawning. So fisheries biologists are proposing to close the high mountain lake to spearfishing in mid-September while the rest of the listed spearfishing waters would remain open through the end of November.

This is awesome to hear we the Anglers are having some impact on our local water GREAT JOB GUYS [img]../../../images/gforum/Wink.gif[/img][img]../../../images/gforum/Wink.gif[/img][img]../../../images/gforum/Wink.gif[/img]

To read the whole article:

http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_12256223
[signature]
that's good news....
[signature]
That is really good news. Better news would be the implementation of very high fees for out of state spearfishermen and a type of tag-like system where you are allowed a limited size and/or amount per year. But this is much better than nothing.
[signature]

great news, now we have to have a size limit and a count limit. I like the idea that jacksomnman said, higher fees for out of staters just like the huntting because it is huntting fish. looks like thier on the right track so far.
later chuck
[signature]
And they said it couldn't be done.
[signature]
I'm surprised nobody commented about this b.s.

Changing Kolob Reservoir to artificial flies and lures only from Jan. 1 to the third Saturday in May, and again from the second Saturday in September through Dec. 31, and placing a limit of two trout under 15 inches or over 22 inches
[signature]
[quote hedgesd]

I'm surprised nobody commented about this b.s.

Changing Kolob Reservoir to artificial flies and lures only from Jan. 1 to the third Saturday in May, and again from the second Saturday in September through Dec. 31, and placing a limit of two trout under 15 inches or over 22 inches

[/quote]

This definitely falls under the efforts of the UDWR to consolidate and simplify the fishing rules. [crazy] Likely the reason there haven't been any comments on here is because this body of water is not located where the majority of our members fish. If it were Strawberry or somewhere else in central or northern Utah I am sure that there would have been plenty of comments.
[signature]
I agree 100%, this is a link that showed up last fall in the BFT Colorado forum. The post is titled Utah lakers taken off of their spawning beds.
Kind of makes me sick to look at these pics knowing that these guys took the lakers while spawning.

[#bf0000][/#bf0000]Sorry but links to sites with message boards are not allowed.
[signature]
OK my bad, just go to BFT Colorado General, second page, Thread Title; UT Lakers Attacked On Spawning Beds
[signature]
I saw it last weekend. I was not impressed with the spearfishers. I think that what the DWR is good, but maybe a little more can be done.
[signature]
I don't think self congratulations are in order yet. It doesn't sound to me like it's a done deal. It says "biologists are proposing" these changes. And further up in the article it says they are asking the public for comment and input on the changes. Sounds to me like the fight is still on and the decision is yet to be made.
I'm sure there are plenty of comments and input to follow!
[signature]
+1 that's a great Idea !!!
[signature]
Do you guys think the fishing should be closed durring the spawn? or just the spearfishing?
[signature]
I've got mixed emotions about it, but I've got to admit I had a real bad taste seeing the pictures of all the dead trophys.
Personally, if I were not going to mount one, I'd rather let it go. When I want trout to eat, I kill the hatchery variety. I'd rather let the wild ones go. I don't begrudge someone keeping a legally caught/speared fish, but that was on the verge of a slaughter.
We've protected deer in this state during rut partly because it's too easy. Then we hunt turkeys during breeding season (those I don't think are too easy!) so apparently it's a case by case basis with the DWR.
I think there is a valid concern and it should be looked at. I personally would also come down on the side of protecting the resource. If that's for restricting spearing and hook/line take during the spawn, so be it.
[signature]
Now they need to do the same for the Gorge. They stuck a lot of big macks off their spawning beds last fall there as well.
[signature]
+1 JustJim, my sentiments exacty!!![mad]
[signature]
what happened with spearfishing at FL and the deal with bait at Kolob?
[signature]
as long as we can keep posts like this on the top of the board.. it will make me happy, as for the gorge well that will continue to becume the NEXT subject. we have wom 1 but thats only the begening of a mountain. at the gorge we have to worrie about the water, the land and the fish... its the biggest crock of sh. ive ever seen drowing up. were doing good now lets all do what were doing and go forward with it... IM in are YOU????
[signature]
Granted I am not a Mac fisherman, but I feel the spawn areas should be closed to all fishing during the spawn in both FG and Fishlake. IMHO what the spear fishing guys did is still way more ethical than what the guys do when they are snagging them.
[signature]
[quote gofish]Now they need to do the same for the Gorge. They stuck a lot of big macks off their spawning beds last fall there as well.[/quote]

Not one big mac was taken by spearfisherman last year at the gorge. However, interesting enough we saw many hook and line fishing in Linwood Bay on the beds when the regs clearly said it was closed to all fishing during those dates.
[signature]