Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
snell knot and yarn?
alot of salmon and steelhead fisherman here tie a sneel knot on the hook then push the knot back on the hook insert color yarn they want then pull sneel up tight to the eye again..then trim up yarn ..looks like yarn ball fly when done..who else uses this method..
[signature]
I use a salmon knott.
[signature]
sure you don't mean a salmoon knot? [laugh] I think were talking about the same thing here. And yes I know tons of people who use that for their lure. Sometimes I am blown away that a fish can even see that on a drift in fast water. But it gets em baby.

I wig out if I don't have on some eggs though, unless the water is low, warm and clear, and all the holes are full of snagged up line and gear.
[signature]
could be I have never see3n it spelled just call it a samon knot. I am with you though i like to use a green bit of yarn and a roe bag
[signature]
i use alot of pink and purple mixed..i think the spawn bag drifts to high and takes away from the feel..im very fussy on how much yarn i put in its goto drift naturally..about 6 to 3 to5 inches of bottom...to much yarn it goes right over top of them to little all your going to do is snag them in the belly..you got to put it on there nose...
[signature]
thats what the corkie is for.
[signature]
okey go ahead and explian what a corkie is..we drift fish usualy use 6 to 8 foot leader..we feel the take ..cant do that with a bobber,,
[signature]
a corkie is a bit of cork or foam or whatever they are made of it slides up and down your leader sense its made from cork it floats and makes your fly float up from your lead. So what i do is put say 18-30 inches of leader or less just whatever seems to be catching the fish, then a corkie and your fly so your corkie keeps your hook off the bottom and into the strike zone. If you dont use these let me know i will send you a few they work great.
[signature]
i think ive seen them used...i ajust how much yarn and weight i use to serve the same purpose..the runs were fishing are only 3 to 5 feet deep on average..i dont know if the idea would work or not..
[signature]
I've used them in 18 inches of water. I imagine if you have 8 ft of leader out there you snag up alot? I have fished without them and i just dont seem to catch as many fish, I just think i am bouncing my hook in the rocks and not maximizing my chance were with a corkie it stays up out of the rocks and lets your lead bounce while its in the strike zone.
[signature]
i would think it would be a pain in the but to cast when you have that much leader flippin around.
[signature]
were not really casting..were using heavy mono..shooting line..are a sinking fly line,,..and fly reels..we call it striping and flipping..you can reach 25 to 30 feet accuratly with practice..and its alot quicker then casting..basicaly a form of fly fishing..
[signature]
oh i have never seen anyone use corkies on a fly rod i thought you were using bait casters
[signature]
i think youd have to see it in action to understand..its not your traditional fly fishing..but we use alot of the same gear..its more like spey fishing..not always approved of by your traditional flyfisherman..
[signature]