Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No luck trout fishing
Alright, I've had a lot of success doing all kinds of fishing except for trout. I've had bites, but nothing else. I've tried rooster tails, meal worms, trout nibble power bait, and trout magnets. Probably more just can't remember. My friend who has had no success catching anything, has caught 2x 14"+ tiger trout.

My setup is a 5' light rod, 4lb test line, with about 2' of fluorocarbon leader line. Then using whatever I'm getting bites with. I will also note we move around from streams to ponds to lakes.

My question is what have you had most success fishing with in these different scenarios? In streams I've had most bites using a rooster tail. In ponds/lakes a bobber thrown deep out has gotten me huge sunnys Sad but no trout.

So what do you think the best setup/bait/lure/colors are best for trout? So far we've seen rainbows,brown,brook and tigers. If you need more info let me know.

Also I've heard a good amount of talk using "gang hooks" I tied a pair up today, but didn't have night crawlers to use on them only meal worms that didn't make the full distance, anyone have insight on these?
[signature]
my favorite bait for trout is a night crawler. If i am stream fishing i use as small as split shot as i can, just make sure its getting down but still a good drift. Lake fishing I like to use a worm and marshmellow or some powerbait, the mellow helps keep the hook off the bottom of the river.

What size of hooks are you using, If the trout are small you need to use very small hooks. If i find my self getting hits but not hooking fish i always put a smaller hook on.
[signature]
remember with live bait youve got to let them take it a litte bit..thell tast it first if you set the hook right away youll pull it out of the mouth..slow the retrive down on the spinner and always cast it upsream and retrive back to you..
[signature]
With the meal worms, they usual nipple half off and leave it, the sunnys are the only thing that will take it all it seems. I use size 8 or 10 bait holder hooks. Not sure what else to do :/.
[signature]
I would guesse maybe you jerking to early and pulling it out of there mouth before they can take it. Try a nightcrawler but only use a small chunk so and hide your hook in it. Like maybe 1/4 of a worm. I have never had great luck with a millworm.
[signature]
For the weekend fishing, I've purchased about 8-10$ worth of different stuff to try out. I bought some garlic scented salmon eggs, I'll be using them on a size 8 bait holder hook with a bobber and maybe a split-shit for weight depending if we do pond or river. I also purchased 2 clear bobbers which can be weighted with water, pretty cool. I'll use about 2-3' of fluorocarbon leader line after the clear bobber with a bed-head wollly bugger on the end. Anything else I should take my chances on or setup changes such as a carolina rig with the salmon eggs rather than bobber? Let me know guys. Thanks.
[signature]
Went out with a buddy of mine today, tried spinners, worms, bed-head woolly buggers and when all else failed, orange power bait. I snagged 2 12-14" brook and then a 13" rainbow within 15 minutes of each other. Solid day for a couple hours.
[signature]
did you literely snag them or did you figure out what they wanted..weve been following and want to know if our advice worked or not?
[signature]
Oh they wanted that powerbait. 2 hours of trying everything besides powerbait, first cast of powerbait pulled one of the tigers. I caught all 3 of mine today within 15 minutes.
[signature]
there is a lake here that i like to fish that you can throw anything at them and they wont hit but the minute you put powerbait on you catch them like mad. I dont use it that often except for that lake.

I am glad to see you finaly got a couple but next time be sure to take the camera I would of liked to see the grin on your face.
[signature]
my go-to lure for trout anywhere mostly lakes would be the criplure by shasta tackle

shastatackle.com
[signature]
If the trout you are going after are stocked, powerbait will probably deliver the best results. Reason being is because it resembles a lot of the bait that the trout are fed in the hatcheries. I would get a variety of different colors. My favorite are chartreuse, orange, and yellow. If they are not stocked, or if the stocked trout are not interested in it try live bait. If you are fishing a pond slide on an egg sinker, then attach a swivel with one or two hooks(size 8) with an 8-12 inch leader. The reason for using an egg sinker is because when the trout pull on the bait, there wont be any resistance. The line slides freely when pulled.That might solve your problem of just getting nibbles. If your fishing a stream, do the same thing. But instead of an egg sinker clip on the smallest split shot weight you can find. Cast it up stream and let if drift down. Hope this helps. Good luck.
[signature]