Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caddis Navigator VI
well, i just bought a Caddis Navigator VI off of ebay brand new. I was wondering what you guys thought of the tube? i should have asked this before i bought it, but you know 14 year olds, they have to buy it then and there. but hey, its better than the old shark donut! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

joe
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Joe, I don't know how much you paid on Ebay, but I found prices all over the place...from a low of about $65, to as much as $160...at a custom fly fishing shop. They must be proud of those tubes. The average price is usually under $100.

My personal feeling is that you can't go wrong with Caddis. I have worked several Caddis tubes to death over the years and there is no better craft for the money. Their materials and workmanship are always good. You should get a lot of good use from it.

Two things I like about the design are the high back rest and the big pockets. The high back rest not only is more comfortable, but helps protect from waves and bow wakes. The big pockets let you carry bigger tackle trays and larger lures.

If you are upgrading from a donut, you will like the higher ride in the water. You can move faster and farther with the same kicking. The only time you will question your choice is when the wind kicks up. You have a higher profile and the wind wants to turn you sideways, so it is harder to hold with your back to the breeze. I just graduated from a Kennebec "mini pontoon" and I loved it except when the wind blew.

Give us a report after you have had it out on the water a couple of times. Here is a pic, for the benefit of those who want to see what the beast looks like.

[url "http://store4.yimg.com/I/lewis-and-clark_1745_21114946"][Image: lewis-and-clark_1745_21079440][/url]

TubeDude
[signature]
how long do you think it would take to get a float tube from iowa to southern california???? I paid for the tube on sunday, and it is now thursday and still no tube! i know it should take a little longer, but i am just curious.

joe
[signature]
[cool]Most of the on-line merchants ship by standard UPS. That takes about a week...plus a day or so for processing. I wouldn't sweat it until 8 or 10 days.

If you ordered online and got an order confirmation number, you can check back with your source to have them track the delivery.

Good Luck.

TubeDude
[signature]
haha...actually when i posted that last post, it was sitting on my front porch. I just hadn't been outside yet. It was quick. it came from iowa in 4 days!!! wasn't expecting that.But on the box it said priority mail. That is the faster shipping method right?

joe
[signature]
[cool]The post office tells you that it is the fastest, and it usually is. But, I have sent things to two people in the same city, on the same day, using both regular and Priority Mail...and the regular mail has beat the Priority.

Glad you got your craft. Now let's get a good report on it.

TubeDude
[signature]
ya know, i haven't used my tube yet, but i already see something wrong with it. it doesn't have a mesh thing in front of you. I think they call it a stripping tray. it is vinyl. I think. it's going to trap water on it. I was thinking about poking a hole in the middle of it so that the water could drain, but I think it might unravel and my tackle would go right through that whole. does anybody have any other suggestions?

joe
[signature]
[cool]I haven't seen one that wasn't nylon mesh for a long time. There's no doubt that it will trap water, unless you have some holes in it. Rather than using a knife, use an ice pick or a sharp nail. The holes do not have to be large to drain the water, unless you are planning on taking some serious waves over the bow.

I would suggest getting out on the water, and then scooping some water onto your "stripping apron" (a fly fishing term). Wherever the water puddles up, that's where you can poke a small hole, without worrying about the whole thing coming apart. Just be sure you are out from beneath the apron before you go stabbing it with an ice pick. If you don't, you will leak water too...or blood. No sense chumming for sharks.

That helps illustrate a good point. Finding a good deal on the internet is good...if you have already done your homework and you know exactly what make and model you want...from seeing and/or trying one first. But, other than the solid fabric of the apron, I don't think you will be disappointed in your new craft. Like I have said before, Caddis makes a good product. It's just that their idea of a good apron is not what yours is.

TubeDude
[signature]