Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
arkansas river part 1
this is about fly fishing, and colorado doesent have a fly fishing board, so here you go:

started at Vallie Bridge in the canyon, water was chocolate milk, and high. diden stop us from hooking up. i was the first with a fish..... a sucker..... go figure, never caught one of those before. anyway, we decided to head above salida for clearer water, and finally hit money. browns and rainbows were hitting on chart. copper johns, copper copper johns, and prince nymphs. i hooked up with close to 20 fish, but only landed 4, i need to practice more and will be! part 2 is comming tomorrow! below is a pic of one of my nicer fish.
[signature]
great post and pic.. thank you for sharing.. look forward to more ff'ing posts from you in the future.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there kochanut and thanks for your post and picture. You are certainly welcome to hang your hat here anytime. As you can see we discuss just about everything under the sun. Sometimes serious and other times just trivia.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Did you have the usual 20 knot wind?

I am not familiar with where Vallie Bridge is. At least by name. I presume you are talking about the highway bridge at the head of the canyon that goes into the Gorge above Canyon City.

Were the flows still low?

It is a river you need to wade with additional respect and caution.
[signature]
sorry for the slow reply. vallie bridge is along hgwy 50 here in CO, just near Howard. its always a honey hole for browns. as far as the wind, it sure did come up, but i just adjusted my approach, got lower in the water, sometimes sitting on my butt, and just either shortened my casts, or started dapping behinde the boulders. the second trip i took up north of buena vista (see arkansas part 2) i landed almost all of them, the wind blew harder, but i just sucked it up again and pressed on.

the brodge you are talking about is at parkdale. keep going till your almost at howard, see attachment.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. I have traveled Hiway 50 many times and fished the Ark a good number of times but had never had the name Vallie stick in my mind. Probably because I never stopped at Vallie. Thanks for the map. Telling me it below Howard was good enough I figured out where. Two thirds of the time I fished the Arkansas the wind was blowing at least 20 miles per hour.
[signature]