Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tropic Bay Popper
This will work on any fish that hits topwater. Make a cone shaped head from 2 "V" shaped pieces of thin foam. glue them edge to edge so as to make a funnel and set aside. Tie a streamer with lots of flash materials onto a species appropriate hook and place a split ring onto the eye then set aside. Make a stainless steel twist with a loop on each end. The length of the wire twist is determined by the front to back length of the funnel cone. The hook split is going to clip onto one loop of the twist and you will tie onto the other end after you put a split ring on that end. Wrap the completed twist with yarn or some material that will pad the twist. Glue the yarn to the twist. glue the twist into the cone with the hook extending from the small end of the cone. Hot glue eyes onto each side of the popping cone. Bend the twist downward so as to create a lip on the front of the cone or large end. The lip will catch and pop the water. The water will be forced into and threw the cone and compressed by the small outlet which creates turbulence and works the flash on the hook. I like this because I can make it with a 3.0 saltwater hook and still cast it without going to a 12wt. rod. The fish love it. I see now that Enrico is offering a kit and that is great to get you started. This is a very old pattern or concept and works great on top water. Check out Enrico's sight for the video for more instruction .
Screaming Reels,
Capt. Pat
Tropic Bay Guide Service

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 1]CP..new members are not allowed to post any kind of link until after their 15th post..I edited out the links in this one.. [/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 1][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 1]for anyone who is interested in reading more on CP's post you can pm and ask him for more information..[/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[signature]
tp do you have any pictures of this fly.. Id love to see what it looks like..

MacFly
[signature]
Sounds like a crease fly.
[signature]