Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A trifecta
[Image: happy.gif]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Headed up for the Eastern Sierras this past Monday to do a little fishing in some Alpine waters. Using a 2wt and dries caught several small browns after I arrived in the afternoon. Next day a bow or two with a few throwing my fly. While I could see the fish coming by my fly they just weren’t interested. Were the fish going to out smart me again? [/size][/#008000][/font][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]BTW could not see any bugs on the water. My final day found the Alpine pond had cooled off quite a bit, in fact the temperature of the brooks feeding this pond was only 36º and the pond itself was 38º. But it warmed up to 42 by 2pm. While I could see fish rising they didn’t want any of my offerings so I attached an Adams with a with a size 22 Zebra Midge as the dropper on 6X tippet. Well I got a hit right away but it broke me off. Then the beginning of my trifecta started with a bow, a brown & a brookie. Never had that happens before in one day. All of the fish caught ranged in size from about 8” up 14”, oh yes small but a lot of fun on a 2wt. BTW they were all wild fish. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Yes it was cool.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline "Bishop Creek.jpg"]
[#008000]A view of the pond[/#008000]
[center][inline WP.jpg]
[center][#008000]Clear as gin with a sandy gravel bottom.[/#008000]
[center][inline WP..jpg]
[center][signature]
AWESOME.... [laugh]

congrats on your trifecta.. could not think of a better way to end a fishing trip than to accomplish something like that.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
NICE! Makes me want to get up to our Uinta's. Could be awhile though.
Mirror lake is like 10,000 feet and we still have traces of snow in July.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]The trouble with Alpine lakes, ponds [the one I was fishing is called a weir] is that I couldn't keep my feet warm. I had on my heavy termo long johns which kept my legs warm, but a pair of wicker socks, heavy wool socks didn't quite do the job. The first two days I wore my insulated hip waders without the wicker socks and my feet weren't quite as cold. At 9600' there is a crust of ice early in the morning which is okay if one is going to make ice tea. Hey flygoddess that midge might have been one that you tied as it had a white bead instead of a brass one. I tied the adams but it only served as an indicator. Go figure.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Renegade are one of my favs in the mountains
[signature]
Sounds like a nice trip and thanks for sharing the pictures. I picked up a trifecta last week 2-3 each browns, bows and cutts up about 7000ft on a small stream. On the Yellowstone on the south slope of the Uinitas (not the famous Yellowstone) I have caught all 4 species in one day. I'm not really a big fan of stillwater but I do like to take my son up to the small lakes in the Unitas when they first open up. I'm predicting 10-14 days before before Lost or Trial Lakes are fishable.[fishin]
[signature]
Hey thanks for the report. I love getting up high in the mountains and catching pretty little fish like that. I noticed that you said you used a 2 wt. I've been thinking about getting a TFO 2 wt. I was just wondering what kind you had and how you like it, and if it's worth getting one.
Thanks
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there iliketofish - after my trip to the same place last year I decided that I needed a 2 wt. Fortunately my favorite fly shop was having a sale on demo models. They had a great price on a Thomas & Thomas 7' 2 wt demo for $275. Regular retail is $600. I tried it out in their parking lot using a 3 wt reel & line. [didn't feel the need to invest in another reel & or line] The rod was clear of any bruises and the cork still had it's protective covering. Needless to say I was a proud owner of a T&T. Just love the feel & the action. TFO makes quality rods so its a matter of preference.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Wow I'd like to join you some day in owning a Thomas and Thomas, but I don't see that happening any time soon. I have a sage Launch 5 wt and a Redington CPS 8 wt. I've managed to get both of these in the last year and a half so I might call that good, but I do think a little 2 wt would be fun!
[signature]
I have been looking for a 2wt and i am tore between a 6 ft and a 7 ft. I fish alot of small streems with numerous willows but would also like to use it on the lake a bit. any suggestions on which would be better?
[signature]
I have a couple of 2 wt rods but use the 7 ft 99% of the time between the two. It short enough for all but the very tightest spots but you can still cast some distance when you need to. Don't forget the wind always acts up anytime you break out a shorter rod.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]My 7' works okay on small streams & creeks with bothersome vegetation. Since distance on these waters is not a factor a little roll cast or a sling shot gets my line out where needed. Then I have the length to get out extra line on ponds and open streams.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Four species in one day, now that is cool. BTW a weir is not considered as still water. Its like filling up a tilted dish pan from one end so that the volume is the same at both ends. It also can be classified as a dam in a stream to raise the water level. Hey isn't that what beavers do?[/size][/#008000][/font][size 4][size 4][font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[/size][/size][size 1][font "Times New Roman"][size 1]
[/size][/font][/size]
[signature]
Mine is a 7'9", but alas, they don't make it anymore.
Sage LL, great little stick.
[signature]