Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is it legal...
Did you guys see it on the news over the winter about remote control fishing boats being illegal in Michigan?
Well, I thought I'd bring this topic up since Fish Fun Co., the leader in Remote control fishing boats is a Michigan based company.
Instead of explaining it all, in short it is legal, at least if you use the Fish Fun Co., rc fishin boats! the DNR and Attorney General sent them a letter approving it! See the whole story, with the letter's,[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=500894;#500894"]Click Here Now[/url], or go to:
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=500894;#500894"][/url][Image: small.jpg][fishin]
[signature]
I have in my younger daze given it some thought,

now it do sound like fun, but there is some risk factors to concider aside from not being a legal method of fishing.

two just happen to be, what happens if you get a big fish?

you risk loosing a 250+ toy and worse you risk having a fish swim around with your toy for the rest of its life...[crazy]
[signature]
[quote fishfunco]Did you guys see it on the news over the winter about remote control fishing boats being illegal in Michigan?
Well, I thought I'd bring this topic up since Fish Fun Co., the leader in Remote control fishing boats is a Michigan based company.
Instead of explaining it all, in short it is legal, at least if you use the Fish Fun Co., rc fishin boats! the DNR and Attorney General sent them a letter approving it! See the whole story, with the letter's,[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=500894;#500894"]Click Here Now[/url], or go to: [url "http://rcfishingworld.com/small.jpg"][Image: small.jpg][/url][fishin][/quote]
Check it out, you won't lose your boat, the line disconnects and you reel it in.
[signature]
after looking at your advertisment page I can tell you for a fact, The michigan atourny genneral has nothing to do with DNR regulartory....

as for misleading, that statment is absolutly correct... your product should be called out board bobber, In essance that is what it is... "A remote controlled bobber"

the problem with this is some one will always try to abouse the system because it can be... so if you find your self being a proud owner of a big fat ticket, dont be to supprized. [Wink]
[signature]
I've seen this advertised on this site a few times and have thought of giving it a try myself .
I thought it would be interesting to try it out on some of the local lakes around here like Houghton , fletchers and long lake , then over on some of the rivers like the Au Sable , Manistee and pier marquete .

There was a bobber you could pick up at the outdoor shows a couple years back that was motorized but controlling it was a little difficult .

I think it would be a great attention getter at some of the childrens fishing events we attend during the year .
[signature]
I have often wanted to get a remote controlled hellicopter to take my line and drop it where I cant cast from shore.

now how cool would that be? [cool]

the question is, is it legal?
I can not answer that for you, how ever, I can say that if you open up the rule book and read legal methods of fishing. You could vary easily end up with a ticket, and one would have to ask, is it worth your time, lost hours at work, lost income to challange the issue?

Will Mike Cox "Michigan's leading Prosicuting Attourney - Michigan Attourney General" be the one prosicuting you, "NOT LIKELY"
You will end up facing a local circut judge should receive a ticket who will open up the rule book and look at legal methods of fishing for the state of michigan and not see remote controlled bobbers as a leagle method and quite easily say, Pay the fine or take it to a higher court....

Can I say for a fact you will or will not receive a ticket, no, I can not, but any state officer can throw up the challange at any time, confiscate your boat, "it dose look like a toy or a boat"

Personaly I like the remote controlled boats, a whole lot more than those crash-um up cars... If I had a spare 250-2500 bucks to toss around, I would have one...

now if they took out the high profile and cut out the boat look and made it look like a planer board insted of a toy there may be a little more validity to the claim.

all said and done, I could be wrong, but intill it is in print as a legal method of fishing, it is open for enturpitatioin of local courts and local concervation officers...

Rember, the michigan attourney gennerals job is not to inturpet the law, it is his job to inforce the law as it is handed down to him by the law makers. "IE senant and congress, and in the case of michigan's fishing rules and regs, Michigans DNR has been given the full rights make rules to set seasons to manage wild game, fish, "except migritory birds"

so to me, is it legal? Common sence would dictate no... that is untill I see it in writeing in the michigan rule book.

for instance, michigan has just recently passed the drop shotting method as a legal method of fishing, "with exception, it can not be used in moving waters such as rivers... I mean Duh !!! "drop shotting was developed for fishing in rivers. It is pointless to use the drop shotting method unless you are in a river or on a moving boat...

the best way to find out if it is a legal method of fishing is to take it out to a designated trout stream [shocked][:p]

the debate is still open, jump in with your oppinion...
[signature]
hey dave buy youself a kite and save the money.ive heard of people kite fishing before..
[signature]
I just looked at the website and he has a couple scanned copies of the letters he recived .

I think i'll do a follow up contact and see what the DNR's position is .
I think the legalised the drop shot method for those guys that fish the surf during the salmon runs .
I think I did hear about that salmon fishing website pushing for it a few years ago .
[signature]
lol, I am not in to shark fishing, I seen them guys on them kites over the ocean flying just high enough to tease those sharks to come up for a snap or two... [Image: whistle.gif]

besides why would I want to give up a perfecty good boat seat for a dangle over a swarm of sharks....[:p]
[signature]
I know they do allow push button electric reels for one amred anglers.

but you can bet a wallnut on that if you pull a fish in with a remote controlled boat you will get a fine, even if you bring in a dink fish by accident.

I can tell you first hand that they can bust ya for it,

While runnig a musk rat trap line, I susposedly caught a duck. now I never saw the duck, some one susposedly grabbed and took it to the vets office to have a bandaid placed on its ankle.

tho I never saw it, nor did I have the oppertunity to release it when I came across it. I still had to pay the fine of 50 dollars, that was 30 years ago, who knows what the fine would be today.. to this day, I have still not gotten my traps that were conficated back after paying the fine.....[crazy]
[signature]
[quote lonehunter]I just looked at the website and he has a couple scanned copies of the letters he recived .

I think i'll do a follow up contact and see what the DNR's position is .
I think the legalised the drop shot method for those guys that fish the surf during the salmon runs .
I think I did hear about that salmon fishing website pushing for it a few years ago .[/quote]

They will gladly talk to you. At least the did me.
I had a great experience talking to both the Michigan DNR Enforcement Unit, and The Michigan Attorney Generals Office, they were very helpful clearing up my questions about rc fishing. I had always liked the idea of using a rc boat to fish.

The law, (Opinion #7222) said:
[#ff0000]RC Boats pulling in the fish is not legal in Michigan![/#ff0000]
[#0000bf]BUT WHAT IF THE RC BOAT JUST DRIVES OUT THE FISHING LINE THEN DISCONNECTS WHEN A FISH HITS?[/#0000bf]

NOT AGAINST THE LAW IF:
1. The RC Boat is used to attach the line from your fishing pole.
2. The line disconnects from the RC Boat. By a tug from your fishing pole, or a fish.

AGAINST THE LAW IF:
1. The fishing line is TIED,attached to the RC Boat.
2. The RC Boat is used to pull in the fish.

[#ff0000]There is One Exception:
IF YOU ARE FISHING ON A PRIVATE POND, LAKE. Then you CAN use a RC Boat to pull in the fish too.[/#ff0000]
[#ff0000][/#ff0000]
Bottom line in MICHIGAN if you're going to fish with rc boats.........Don't use the rc boat to pull in the fish, use it the other way![fishin]
[#ff0000] [/#ff0000]
[inline "I'm_sold_on_RC_Fishing!.gif"]
[inline A_blast.gif]
[inline Pro_Fishermen_Like_John_use_Fish_Fun_RC_Fishing_Boats2.gif]
[inline Panfishing_with_The_RC_Fishing_Pole_and_caught_the_limit!.gif]

[#ff0000][/#ff0000]
[#ff0000]

[/#ff0000]
[signature]
i was acctualy talking about the kite with the fishing line attached to it.but if you wanna play with sharks feel free..
[signature]
I have seldom had the fortune of having the wind to my back hence forth my bobber keeps running a shore.

cant say I have heard of kite fishing. I have seen hot air balloon fishing. that was pretty kool,
[signature]
I'm curious ,is there an adjustable tension release on it ?
If I were using a shallow running plug and then switched over to a deep diving plug that
would produce more drag would it be simple to recalibrate the release ?

Recommended lure weight for use with the RC boats , do they vary from model to model ?

Can the RC boat sustain a constant speed in a slow to moderate moving body of water like the Manistee or the Au Sable rivers ? (1 to 5 knots , average being 3 knots )

Battery life during normal operation on a pond or lake , average hours of use and life
expectancy of the batteries ? Recharge time ? Low battery indicator ?

Are the remote controls similar to a standard remote control for
regular RC hobby boats for those who are already familiar with RC boats ? Are the controls easy to master for someone without prior knowledge of RC operated boats ?

I'm guessing this product can be used for two methods of delivery of your tackle , one as a trolling apparatus , the other for still fishing applications , are there any other features I have overlooked ?
[signature]
I've seen it done in Florida and in California , not here in the Great Lakes area (yet) .
[signature]
You just hook a down rigger release to any RC boat and ajust the amount of pull it takes to relaese your line . I have only used them to run my bait out farther than I can cast . Then pull the line free and bring the boat back . Very little run time on the battery . Curt G.
[signature]
i seen a vidio once were they hooked the line from the pole to the kite and cought a fish..it kind of tied in with the boat thing,,
[signature]
[quote lonehunter]I'm curious ,is there an adjustable tension release on it ?
If I were using a shallow running plug and then switched over to a deep diving plug that
would produce more drag would it be simple to recalibrate the release ?

Recommended lure weight for use with the RC boats , do they vary from model to model ?

Can the RC boat sustain a constant speed in a slow to moderate moving body of water like the Manistee or the Au Sable rivers ? (1 to 5 knots , average being 3 knots )

Battery life during normal operation on a pond or lake , average hours of use and life
expectancy of the batteries ? Recharge time ? Low battery indicator ?

Are the remote controls similar to a standard remote control for
regular RC hobby boats for those who are already familiar with RC boats ? Are the controls easy to master for someone without prior knowledge of RC operated boats ?

I'm guessing this product can be used for two methods of delivery of your tackle , one as a trolling apparatus , the other for still fishing applications , are there any other features I have overlooked ?[/quote]

I'm assuming you're refering to "The RC Fishing Pole"...it's designed to attach to any r/c boat and to turn the boat into a rc fishing boat.
[inline fishdaddy.gif]The main feature is that it extends from the rear of the boat 12-17 inches to allow the fishing line clearance of the boat.

The line release is simple, one sticky back velcro dot goes on the end of "The RC Fishing Pole". Then the other one goes on your fishing line, placed to allow your bait/hook to be underwater, you can choose the depth by where you put the velcro dot.

Can you adjust the tension, well, to a degree I would say, depending on how hard you afix the two velcro's together. They don't need too much pressure to stick together.
[inline 5.gif]
To see the Instruction Book Click Here
So barely putting them together is good for panfish, where tighter is bigger fish. Now, there is a small hole at the tip of "The RC Fishing Pole", I've seen those tiny release clips for planer boards about 1-2 inches long that you could choose to attach to the small hole.

How much weight? 3-4 oz. tops, unless you put the planer clip on "The RC FIshing Pole".

Speed? R/C Boats vary in features with regard to variable speed, since "The RC FIshing Pole" will attach to any r/c boat, you can buy a boat that fit's your needs. They boats they sell at RC Fishing World are not variable speed, they cruise at a good trolling speed..15-20 mph

Same thing with battery life, the batteries for r/c boats can be upgraded, there are some really good batteries out there at most hobby shops and online, so if your boat doesn't come with a real powerful one you can always buy a better one. I've even heard of joining two batteries together. Most r/c boats come with a 7.2 volt 1800 nicd, battery that gives you 20-30 minutes constant run time. Charge time, about 3 hours.

If you are using an off the shelf r/c boat, and attaching "The RC FIshing Pole" to it, all of the regular features of the r/c boat and remote are what you would get. Most of us have played with a remote control toy at one time or another so, learning how to operate the r/c boat insn't an issue.

You're right about there being two ways to use "The RC Fishing Pole. One where the line disconnects when a fish hits, the good thing about that is catching a lunker, also that is why this topic was started, This way is legal in Michigan. Now, it can be used the other way, there is a small hole at the tip of "The RC Fishing Pole' to attach a line....then using the r/c boat to actually fish, and then the boat pulls in the fish, this is for small panfish, and is not legal in Michigan unless you are on private property fishing.

RC Fishing is a new take on fishing, and for some of us it provides a soluution to fish under low lying branches where we can't cast, and to navigate our line to inacessable spots. The youngsters with all of their electronic gadgetry love it too, for them it takes fishing to another level. I like it because I'm a fisherman, I like to catch fish.
You might want to see some of the video's at the RC Fishing World website to see it in action.
Click Here: RCFishingWorld.com

Or Click Here to see all the RC Fishing video's on YouTube. [fishin]

[Image: small.jpg]
[signature]