Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish Cleaning/Filleting Rookie
As I'm sure everyone's aware of, I fish primarily in my girlfriend's pond, and there's lots of catfish. Well, I want to start keeping the catfish, cleaning and eating them, so that maybe the bass will start to thrive. So could someone go step by step with me here and let me know how to do it safely, so I don't get sick or something? I watched a youtube video of some guy cleaning and filleting, but if someone knows of a better instructional video out there, I'd love to see it.

My first concern is what do I do with the fish after I catch it? I'd prefer it to be dead when I fillet it, I don't want to get finned or cut myself with the knife.

All help is greatly appreciated.
[signature]
If they are 1 to 2lb even up to three pounds you want to skin them, cut the head off and then gut them.

You take the catfish and nail it to a pole or tree through the the head. Before you nail it up you cut a nice clean cut behind the gills all the way around the fish, shallow cut just through the skin and not down into the meat.

Now you nail the fish to the tree and take some pliers and peal the skin from the back of the gills down to the tail then cut off the tail with the skin on it.

Now you cut off the head and clean out the guts.

1 to 2 or up to 3lb catfish done this way can be baked or skillet fried in about 1/4 inch of oil after putt on some salt and pepper then just dipping in plain corn meal.

For catfish larger than 3lb I suggest you have someone teach how to properly fillet in person or view a very detailed video on the process. Filleting fish takes practice and if you are first trying just remember to take your time until get comfortable.

When filleting catfish you end up with just the meat and usually no bones to contend with.

But I use both of these methods depending on the size of the fish. Those smaller catfish are harder to fillet and you end up with not very nice fillets unless you are very skilled at filleting.
[signature]
Quote:My first concern is what do I do with the fish after I catch it? I'd prefer it to be dead when I fillet it

You want to keep your catch alive while fishing. All of them on a stringer or if you are only going to be fishing for a few hours you can catch them and put them in a cooler on ICE. Be sure they are down in the ice and the ice does not melt and become water or you will have a slimy mess on your hands.

Don't just throw the fish on the bank and keep fishing a hour or two or you risk some health problems.

So keep them alive in the water then take them to the house and just put them on ICE for about 15 minutes and they will die but stay fresh and you avoid the "slime" mess.

Or take a cooler with ICE and as soon as you catch them put them in the ice but don't keep them on the ice over 5 hours and make sure its solid good ice for those five hours and your fine.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
It does help. So if I'm just gonna catch 1, I catch it, then take it up to the house, and put it in a cooler, on top of ice, and let it sit for about 15 minutes, until it dies?
[signature]
catfish take alot longer then 15 minutes to die..give it an hour
[signature]
do like i do and hit it on the head with one of those mini bats.
[signature]
haha nice!
[signature]
[quote jigs] do like i do and hit it on the head with one of those mini bats.[/quote]

HAAHAHAHAH
[signature]
come on simp dont be a wimp... just clean the fish.

I've had to scaled bluegill that were still flopping...

lol.
[signature]
<----- hey im a perch now... 200 posts hahaahah...

to funny.
[signature]
is that what them little fishys are for..when do you get the walleye..thats what i wanna be....hows he going to react when he catches his first pike...i shure hope he dont try to lip hold em..
[signature]
i'm a rainbow trout---aww crap i look gay...

just kidding.
[signature]
just messing with you guy..i know you wuoldnt hold a pike like a bass...would you??
[signature]
Lurtch, you askin me that? or byte? If it's me, then I answer: uhh, no. I'm not that stupid lol. If you're not askin me, then 10-25.
[signature]
yea..im playing with you again..i know your not that stupid..just cant refuse a jab..
[signature]
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...res;#53294
[signature]
lurtch, your jab caught me in the chin. haha

lunkerhunter (i almost typed lurker again. that freudian slip happens alot.), that thread would be awesome, but the pics aren't showing up for me...is it browser specific? I'm on firefox, I'll try IE.
[signature]